Upvote Upvoted 1 Downvote Downvoted
FPS Not Capping, getting INSANE lag
posted in Q/A Help
0 Frags +

Was referred here by Sam., who kindly spent over 45 minutes trying to help me out.

I've restarted my computer 4 times , verified game-cache 2 times, and used numerous commands all throughout our chat to no avail. At the moment I'm re-installing, which will take a LONG time, so I'm making this thread to see if anyone could help me out :( My drivers are up to date, my computer has 16gb of RAM and was running TF2 fine 2 hours prior to this happening.

Commands Sam. gave me

Sam.: type in fps_max 300
Sam.: then join a server
masterpiece: okay
masterpiece: i did that
Sam.: Is your fps stuck at 300 now?
masterpiece: nope
masterpiece: its still going to 40

masterpiece: CPU is 35%
Sam.: open up console
Sam.: just type in
Sam.: fps_max
Sam.: what number shows
masterpiece: ] fps_max

"fps_max" = "300" notconnected
- Frame rate limiter, cannot be set while connected to a server.
x
Sam.: And the frames are still going over 300? X_X
masterpiece: yep consistently
masterpiece: there arent any UNDER 300
masterpiece: one was just 891,
Sam.: That's really weird

Sam.: mat_phong 0
Sam.: Does this help at all?
masterpiece: i think its worse
Sam.: cl_threaded_bone_setup 2
masterpiece: ok
Sam.: Better or worse
masterpiece: worse

I'm here as a last resort, Sam. told me to post here so I am.

Please help me out. This computer is less than 2 days old and is already giving me grief.

Thank you!

Was referred here by Sam., who kindly spent over 45 minutes trying to help me out.

I've restarted my computer 4 times , verified game-cache 2 times, and used numerous commands all throughout our chat to no avail. At the moment I'm re-installing, which will take a LONG time, so I'm making this thread to see if anyone could help me out :( My drivers are up to date, my computer has 16gb of RAM and was running TF2 fine 2 hours prior to this happening.

Commands Sam. gave me

Sam.: type in fps_max 300
Sam.: then join a server
masterpiece: okay
masterpiece: i did that
Sam.: Is your fps stuck at 300 now?
masterpiece: nope
masterpiece: its still going to 40

masterpiece: CPU is 35%
Sam.: open up console
Sam.: just type in
Sam.: fps_max
Sam.: what number shows
masterpiece: ] fps_max

"fps_max" = "300" notconnected
- Frame rate limiter, cannot be set while connected to a server.
x
Sam.: And the frames are still going over 300? X_X
masterpiece: yep consistently
masterpiece: there arent any UNDER 300
masterpiece: one was just 891,
Sam.: That's really weird

Sam.: mat_phong 0
Sam.: Does this help at all?
masterpiece: i think its worse
Sam.: cl_threaded_bone_setup 2
masterpiece: ok
Sam.: Better or worse
masterpiece: worse

I'm here as a last resort, Sam. told me to post here so I am.

Please help me out. This computer is less than 2 days old and is already giving me grief.

Thank you!
0 Frags +

mat_queue_mode issue?

mat_queue_mode issue?
0 Frags +
marmadukeGRYLLSmat_queue_mode issue?

I honestly have no idea what that is ahah, apologies, could you please expand?

I don't know anything about computing nor coding, it amazes me that you guys understand that kinda stuff.

[quote=marmadukeGRYLLS]mat_queue_mode issue?[/quote]

I honestly have no idea what that is ahah, apologies, could you please expand?

I don't know anything about computing nor coding, it amazes me that you guys understand that kinda stuff.
0 Frags +

try 2 and -2 for values and see if either help/fix the issue. i could be talking out of my ass, i just know mat_queue_mode has fucked shit up for me in the past. good luck mang.

also you said the pc was new, could it be a build issue/something loose/etc?

is there any other games you can try running to see if the same issue persists?

i'm not gonna be super helpful cuz i dont know a ton about this shit but the above questions should help someone more knowledgeable help you out

oh, and you didnt put any weird shit in the launch options, right?

try 2 and -2 for values and see if either help/fix the issue. i could be talking out of my ass, i just know mat_queue_mode has fucked shit up for me in the past. good luck mang.

also you said the pc was new, could it be a build issue/something loose/etc?

is there any other games you can try running to see if the same issue persists?

i'm not gonna be super helpful cuz i dont know a ton about this shit but the above questions should help someone more knowledgeable help you out

oh, and you didnt put any weird shit in the launch options, right?
0 Frags +
marmadukeGRYLLStry 2 and -2 for values and see if either help/fix the issue. i could be talking out of my ass, i just know mat_queue_mode has fucked shit up for me in the past. good luck mang.

thanks a lot brother, i'll be sure to test it out should the problem persist!

[quote=marmadukeGRYLLS]try 2 and -2 for values and see if either help/fix the issue. i could be talking out of my ass, i just know mat_queue_mode has fucked shit up for me in the past. good luck mang.[/quote]

thanks a lot brother, i'll be sure to test it out should the problem persist!
4 Frags +

shit i wish my fps was that high

shit i wish my fps was that high
0 Frags +

email valve

alternatively, make sure your computer's clock isn't broken

email valve

alternatively, make sure your computer's clock isn't broken
1 Frags +

Could be that a part in your computer is dodgy.

What framerates were you getting before? Also what specs?

Could be that a part in your computer is dodgy.

0 Frags +
nopeCould be that a part in your computer is dodgy.

Framerate before was between 250-300, which I'm assuming was good given it was working fine

I'm literally so shit at computing I cannot figure out how to get my specs, but this is what I have

CPU - AMD 6cire AN3+ Processor, 3.5GHZ (turbo 4.1ghz)
GPU - Gigabyte GV 2GB DDR5 Video Card
RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury
SSD - SAmsung 940 Evo
HDD - Not sure

That's what I've got atm, not sure if this helps.

[quote=nope]Could be that a part in your computer is dodgy.

What framerates were you getting before? Also what specs?[/quote]

Framerate before was between 250-300, which I'm assuming was good given it was working fine

I'm literally so shit at computing I cannot figure out how to get my specs, but this is what I have

CPU - AMD 6cire AN3+ Processor, 3.5GHZ (turbo 4.1ghz)
GPU - Gigabyte GV 2GB DDR5 Video Card
RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury
SSD - SAmsung 940 Evo
HDD - Not sure

That's what I've got atm, not sure if this helps.
-1 Frags +

Why do you even want to cap the FPS?

Why do you even want to cap the FPS?
0 Frags +

You can find your specs by going to device manager. Not really an issue here though, from what you've put here they seem to be decent, although if I found the right cpu (fx-6300) that's probably the weakest link of your system.

Anyway, what happened '2 hours ago' as of your first post when your frames went from being smooth to really bad? Were you in game, or did it work fine one time and then start failing when you reopened the game?

Also, try a different game that has similar requirements to tf2. Cs:go might work. See if you get framedrops there.

You can find your specs by going to device manager. Not really an issue here though, from what you've put here they seem to be decent, although if I found the right cpu (fx-6300) that's probably the weakest link of your system.

Anyway, what happened '2 hours ago' as of your first post when your frames went from being smooth to really bad? Were you in game, or did it work fine one time and then start failing when you reopened the game?

Also, try a different game that has similar requirements to tf2. Cs:go might work. See if you get framedrops there.
0 Frags +

Ok so i saw your reddit thread, for anyone else's info the specs are fx 6300 and gtx 750. With this system you will be very cpu limited, and for games like tf2 that's not a good thing. Ignoring these framedrops, your best way to increase your fps is counter-intuitively to increase your graphical settings, to shift more of the workload from your cpu to your gpu. Try running with chris' maxquality config and see if that helps.

Ok so i saw your reddit thread, for anyone else's info the specs are fx 6300 and gtx 750. With this system you will be very cpu limited, and for games like tf2 that's not a good thing. Ignoring these framedrops, your best way to increase your fps is counter-intuitively to increase your graphical settings, to shift more of the workload from your cpu to your gpu. Try running with chris' maxquality config and see if that helps.
1 Frags +

mat_queue_mode 2

glhf amd

mat_queue_mode 2

glhf amd
1 Frags +

"cl_threaded_bone_setup 2"

That's an invalid input only valid ones are 0 and 1

also have you messed with

host_timescale
or
host_framerate
?

"cl_threaded_bone_setup 2"

host_timescale
or
host_framerate
?
1 Frags +

What DX level are you running with?
What OS?
Do you have Aero extensions enabled?
Are you running with vsync on?
Are you in windowed/borderless mode, or fullscreen?
Can you post all of your files in your tf/cfg folder here? Nothing there should contain personal information.

What DX level are you running with?
What OS?
Can you post all of your files in your tf/cfg folder here? Nothing there should contain personal information.
0 Frags +
nopeOk so i saw your reddit thread, for anyone else's info the specs are fx 6300 and gtx 750. With this system you will be very cpu limited, and for games like tf2 that's not a good thing. Ignoring these framedrops, your best way to increase your fps is counter-intuitively to increase your graphical settings, to shift more of the workload from your cpu to your gpu. Try running with chris' maxquality config and see if that helps.

Okay thank you so much!

[quote=nope]Ok so i saw your reddit thread, for anyone else's info the specs are fx 6300 and gtx 750. With this system you will be very cpu limited, and for games like tf2 that's not a good thing. Ignoring these framedrops, your best way to increase your fps is counter-intuitively to increase your graphical settings, to shift more of the workload from your cpu to your gpu. Try running with chris' maxquality config and see if that helps.[/quote]

Okay thank you so much!
0 Frags +

higher graphics settings won't increase your framerate. They won't significantly decrease it if you have a good gpu, but they will NEVER increase it.

higher graphics settings won't increase your framerate. They won't significantly decrease it if you have a good gpu, but they will NEVER increase it.
0 Frags +

Just reinstalled, still the same :( I'm doing everything suggested on here but to no avail! Thank you all for your help, it is much appreciated

Comanglia"cl_threaded_bone_setup 2"

host_timescale
or
host_framerate
?

Neither changed anything :/

yttriumWhat DX level are you running with?
What OS?

I guess I can if you want, I don't know how
DX? I'm assuming that's 8.1 (sorry I have no idea)
OS is 8.1
Aero extension no
Vsync I don't know sorry
Windowed

nopeOk so i saw your reddit thread, for anyone else's info the specs are fx 6300 and gtx 750. With this system you will be very cpu limited, and for games like tf2 that's not a good thing. Ignoring these framedrops, your best way to increase your fps is counter-intuitively to increase your graphical settings, to shift more of the workload from your cpu to your gpu. Try running with chris' maxquality config and see if that helps.

Just added chris' max quality, it appears to be worse :(

Just reinstalled, still the same :( I'm doing everything suggested on here but to no avail! Thank you all for your help, it is much appreciated

[quote=Comanglia]"cl_threaded_bone_setup 2"

host_timescale
or
host_framerate
?[/quote]

Neither changed anything :/

[quote=yttrium]What DX level are you running with?
What OS?
Can you post all of your files in your tf/cfg folder here? Nothing there should contain personal information.[/quote]

I guess I can if you want, I don't know how
DX? I'm assuming that's 8.1 (sorry I have no idea)
OS is 8.1
Aero extension no
Vsync I don't know sorry
Windowed

[quote=nope]Ok so i saw your reddit thread, for anyone else's info the specs are fx 6300 and gtx 750. With this system you will be very cpu limited, and for games like tf2 that's not a good thing. Ignoring these framedrops, your best way to increase your fps is counter-intuitively to increase your graphical settings, to shift more of the workload from your cpu to your gpu. Try running with chris' maxquality config and see if that helps.[/quote]

Just added chris' max quality, it appears to be worse :(
0 Frags +
Gunblademat_queue_mode 2

glhf amd

That didn't do anything! thanks though, I think it made it worse

nopeYou can find your specs by going to device manager. Not really an issue here though, from what you've put here they seem to be decent, although if I found the right cpu (fx-6300) that's probably the weakest link of your system.

My internet is nearly capped so I don't wanna download much more, but I don't know what changed.

I deleted a HUD, put in a different one and it lagged to shit. I know have the stock HUD

[quote=Gunblade]mat_queue_mode 2

glhf amd[/quote]

That didn't do anything! thanks though, I think it made it worse [quote=nope]You can find your specs by going to device manager. Not really an issue here though, from what you've put here they seem to be decent, although if I found the right cpu (fx-6300) that's probably the weakest link of your system.

Also, try a different game that has similar requirements to tf2. Cs:go might work. See if you get framedrops there.[/quote]

My internet is nearly capped so I don't wanna download much more, but I don't know what changed.

I deleted a HUD, put in a different one and it lagged to shit. I know have the stock HUD
0 Frags +

Figured I may as well upload this http://speedy.sh/5wYHc/s.dem

that has a demo of me and me trying to play on goldrush

Figured I may as well upload this http://speedy.sh/5wYHc/s.dem

that has a demo of me and me trying to play on goldrush
0 Frags +

Another update

Computer was working fine, played a bit today. I met nope in game, spoke and told him of how the issue was resolved.

No less than 10 minutes ago the SAME issue started happening. Nothing has changed.

I'm completely perplexed. Am I overworking my computer?

Another update

Computer was working fine, played a bit today. I met nope in game, spoke and told him of how the issue was resolved.

No less than 10 minutes ago the SAME issue started happening. Nothing has changed.

I'm completely perplexed. Am I overworking my computer?
1 Frags +

It seems i don't have a good track record of giving accurate advice, but you should probably check your cpu tempuratures to see if it's overheating, given that the frame drops are occuring in fits and starts. Try CoreTemp or HWMonitor.

It seems i don't have a good track record of giving accurate advice, but you should probably check your cpu tempuratures to see if it's overheating, given that the frame drops are occuring in fits and starts. Try CoreTemp or HWMonitor.
1 Frags +
nopeIt seems i don't have a good track record of giving accurate advice, but you should probably check your cpu tempuratures to see if it's overheating, given that the frame drops are occuring in fits and starts. Try CoreTemp or HWMonitor.

I don't know man, any advice is good advice when it comes to this, and its much appreciated!

I'm looking into it as we speak! Thanks again

[quote=nope]It seems i don't have a good track record of giving accurate advice, but you should probably check your cpu tempuratures to see if it's overheating, given that the frame drops are occuring in fits and starts. Try CoreTemp or HWMonitor.[/quote]

I don't know man, any advice is good advice when it comes to this, and its much appreciated!

I'm looking into it as we speak! Thanks again
0 Frags +

Edit: Never mind i shouldnt skim threads

Edit: Never mind i shouldnt skim threads
0 Frags +
nopeIt seems i don't have a good track record of giving accurate advice, but you should probably check your cpu tempuratures to see if it's overheating, given that the frame drops are occuring in fits and starts. Try CoreTemp or HWMonitor.

If his FPS cap isn't working and he's experiencing horrible stuttery lag, this is most likely happening.

[quote=nope]It seems i don't have a good track record of giving accurate advice, but you should probably check your cpu tempuratures to see if it's overheating, given that the frame drops are occuring in fits and starts. Try CoreTemp or HWMonitor.[/quote]

If his FPS cap isn't working and he's experiencing horrible stuttery lag, this is most likely happening.
1 Frags +

Ok here is a list of things for you to do:

-Put your custom configs on pastebin in raw text form and link it here.
-Disable In-Game overlay.
-Test if this happens on local servers or exclusively online ones.
-Post your launch options. (Rightclick tf2 in libary > Properties > Set launch options)
-Get a program to monitor your CPU and GPU's peak temperatures while you play. (I.E coretemp as mentioned earlier in the thread.)
-Post said max temperatures after a session where these issues have occurred.
-Is your PC dusty/very hot? pls post this.

When you monitor your framerate do you use cl_showfps 1 or net_graph 1?

Ok here is a list of things for you to do:

-Post your launch options. (Rightclick tf2 in libary > Properties > Set launch options)
-Get a program to monitor your CPU and GPU's peak temperatures while you play. (I.E coretemp as mentioned earlier in the thread.)

0 Frags +
TwistedOk here is a list of things for you to do:

1. No custom configs at all, aside from some lerp settings
2. I've disabled that, nothing has changed
3. No issues when it comes to a local server
4. No launch options (I removed them when I remove configs"
5. Downloading core temp at the moment!
6. I'll do that as soon as I can actually HAVE a gaming session :(
7. No, it's clean and not hot at all.

I use net_graph 1

EDIT: Normal core temp is 25, not sure if this is good, however it goes up to 37-40 when I play TF2 for only 2 minutes (with the lag)

[quote=Twisted]Ok here is a list of things for you to do:

When you monitor your framerate do you use cl_showfps 1 or net_graph 1?[/quote]

1. No custom configs at all, aside from some lerp settings
2. I've disabled that, nothing has changed
3. No issues when it comes to a local server
4. No launch options (I removed them when I remove configs"
5. Downloading core temp at the moment!
6. I'll do that as soon as I can actually HAVE a gaming session :(
7. No, it's clean and not hot at all.

I use net_graph 1

EDIT: Normal core temp is 25, not sure if this is good, however it goes up to 37-40 when I play TF2 for only 2 minutes (with the lag)
1 Frags +

those temps are fine.

those temps are fine.
0 Frags +

If the issue only happens when you play online the chance of it being your net settings are pretty high.

Post them.

If the issue only happens when you play online the chance of it being your net settings are pretty high.

Post them.
1 Frags +

Hi everyone!

Just thought I'd update this thread in the sense that this has ALL been fixed!

Thank you all so much, but the issue wasn't even computer related, it appears to have been down to my wiring causing the extreme lag!

Thank you all again and much love!

Hi everyone!

Just thought I'd update this thread in the sense that this has ALL been fixed!

Thank you all so much, but the issue wasn't even computer related, it appears to have been down to my wiring causing the extreme lag!

Thank you all again and much love!
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.