Upvote Upvoted 0 Downvote Downvoted
Forced cl_interp on Valve servers?
0 Frags +

Hey, I'm not sure if it's just me but I've been seeing forced cl_interp values on Valve servers and I didn't think this used to be the case. This is what shows up in console:

http://puu.sh/gjngA/e351f26de9.png

I've also noticed that standing on carts, buildings, and players causes very stuttery movement. I'm assuming these are probably related. Have these values been forced for a long time, or is this new?

Hey, I'm not sure if it's just me but I've been seeing forced cl_interp values on Valve servers and I didn't think this used to be the case. This is what shows up in console:
[img]http://puu.sh/gjngA/e351f26de9.png[/img]

I've also noticed that standing on carts, buildings, and players causes very stuttery movement. I'm assuming these are probably related. Have these values been forced for a long time, or is this new?
5 Frags +

You can't get lower interpolation because the tickrate is capped at 66 by the engine.

The stutter when standing on moving objects has been a thing in source engine since forever.

You can't get lower interpolation because the tickrate is capped at 66 by the engine.

The stutter when standing on moving objects has been a thing in source engine since forever.
0 Frags +

Default cl_interp used to be 100ms, or cl_interp .1 for a long time, this is definitely new if valve servers are restricting clients to specific interps.

I did mention in the tf2 suggestions thread that we should have better network defaults, this could be related (though a long shot).

Default cl_interp used to be 100ms, or cl_interp .1 for a long time, this is definitely new if valve servers are restricting clients to specific interps.

I did mention in the tf2 suggestions thread that we should have better network defaults, this could be related (though a long shot).
1 Frags +
TechDudeDefault cl_interp used to be 100ms, or cl_interp .1 for a long time, this is definitely new if valve servers are using the server convars of sv_client_max_interp_ratio and sv_client_min_interp_ratio to limit clients to .015.

It's not new, it's always been like that, all they did was add a note that gets printed in console to explain it.

[quote=TechDude]Default cl_interp used to be 100ms, or cl_interp .1 for a long time, this is definitely new if valve servers are using the server convars of sv_client_max_interp_ratio and sv_client_min_interp_ratio to limit clients to .015.[/quote]
It's not new, it's always been like that, all they did was add a note that gets printed in console to explain it.
0 Frags +
TwistedYou can't get lower interpolation because the tickrate is capped at 66 by the engine.

I'm aware it's been there, but it didn't used to be this bad. Within the past week it's gotten significantly worse on all servers I've connected to.

[quote=Twisted]You can't get lower interpolation because the tickrate is capped at 66 by the engine.

The stutter when standing on moving objects has been a thing in source engine since forever.[/quote]
I'm aware it's been there, but it didn't used to be this bad. Within the past week it's gotten significantly worse on all servers I've connected to.
0 Frags +
yttriumI'm aware it's been there, but it didn't used to be this bad. Within the past week it's gotten significantly worse on all servers I've connected to.

Personally I haven't noticed any difference at all.

Also the last released update was almost 2 weeks ago.
You're probably just imagining things. (Or changed your net settings.)

[quote=yttrium]I'm aware it's been there, but it didn't used to be this bad. Within the past week it's gotten significantly worse on all servers I've connected to.[/quote]
Personally I haven't noticed any difference at all.

0 Frags +
TwistedPersonally I haven't noticed any difference at all.

Haven't changed any net settings in months. It's not noticeable on most maps, only Payload ones, and sometimes happens if you stand on enemy buildings.

[quote=Twisted]Personally I haven't noticed any difference at all.

You're probably just imagining things. (Or changed your net settings.)[/quote]
Haven't changed any net settings in months. It's not noticeable on most maps, only Payload ones, and sometimes happens if you stand on enemy buildings.
0 Frags +

as twisted said, interp was always forced/capped.
valve servers aren't always being very stable,
and the engine just has it flaws..

as twisted said, interp was always forced/capped.
valve servers aren't always being very stable,
and the engine just has it flaws..
0 Frags +

Valve servers do go through waves of having really shitty connectivity. You can see sometimes that EVERYONE has 200-300 ping to the server or something like that. This cl_interp bottom has been there for a long long time.

Valve servers do go through waves of having really shitty connectivity. You can see sometimes that EVERYONE has 200-300 ping to the server or something like that. This cl_interp bottom has been there for a long long time.
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.