Upvote Upvoted 6 Downvote Downvoted
Maximizing Damage
0 Frags +

I've noticed that while I may play well during scrims, my damage numbers are low. I main Demo, and I'm wondering if there is anything specific I should be doing at midfights that will increase my damage output. I tend to hang back and play more passively, and it seems to work. However, I want to make sure I have the ability to get aggressive and make the most of my presence during offensive pushes. I've heard that a recent update to stickies has caused significant reduction of their power. While I acknowledge the changes, I am not one to complain and use the "sticky nerf" as an excuse for not dishing out enough damage. I feel like my shortcomings are a result of other gameplay mechanics, such as positioning, where to focus my fire, and who I should primarily be engaging.

If there are any confident Demomen reading who would like to give me some advice, please feel free to add me. I could use a chat with a more skilled player.

I've noticed that while I may play well during scrims, my damage numbers are low. I main Demo, and I'm wondering if there is anything specific I should be doing at midfights that will increase my damage output. I tend to hang back and play more passively, and it seems to work. However, I want to make sure I have the ability to get aggressive and make the most of my presence during offensive pushes. I've heard that a recent update to stickies has caused significant reduction of their power. While I acknowledge the changes, I am not one to complain and use the "sticky nerf" as an excuse for not dishing out enough damage. I feel like my shortcomings are a result of other gameplay mechanics, such as positioning, where to focus my fire, and who I should primarily be engaging.

If there are any confident Demomen reading who would like to give me some advice, please feel free to add me. I could use a chat with a more skilled player.
-15 Frags +

the answer is right in front of you

use your illegal elephant gun

the answer is right in front of you

[b][size=16]use your illegal elephant gun[/size][/b]
4 Frags +

if your going to try and play aggressive wait for there team to group up or have a soldier distract for you so you can push forward. On most mids its better to play passive but on maps like viaduct, snake, and badlands its good to play aggressive WITH your team.

if your going to try and play aggressive wait for there team to group up or have a soldier distract for you so you can push forward. On most mids its better to play passive but on maps like viaduct, snake, and badlands its good to play aggressive [b]WITH[/b] your team.
4 Frags +

stay alive

stay alive
4 Frags +

Keep at least 3 sticks in your clip at all times during mids otherwise you can be caught with your pants down when someone rushes you. Try to pressure their demo first and anyone who you can shoot with long range stickies, spam pipes, then go back to stickies to clean up after your team does damage. You have to be fast to react to what the other team does, so always be wary of people rushing/jumping you as well.

Keep at least 3 sticks in your clip at all times during mids otherwise you can be caught with your pants down when someone rushes you. Try to pressure their demo first and anyone who you can shoot with long range stickies, spam pipes, then go back to stickies to clean up after your team does damage. You have to be fast to react to what the other team does, so always be wary of people rushing/jumping you as well.
6 Frags +

ask hooli

ask hooli
3 Frags +

I always think of demo as sort of mid-range artillery. You're job isn't really to be in their face doing damage. If you have scouts in their face or your soldiers bombing in, then you get aggressive and just pound them with damage. Otherwise, really try to pick your targets well, specifically going for either a player your team has called to focus, or else players that are cut off from their medic. If you're doing long range damage on a target that is being tanked by their medic, it's not as efficient as if you could be hitting someone who can't get that health back.

But then again I'm not a demo main so I might be an idiot.

I always think of demo as sort of mid-range artillery. You're job isn't really to be in their face doing damage. If you have scouts in their face or your soldiers bombing in, then you get aggressive and just pound them with damage. Otherwise, really try to pick your targets well, specifically going for either a player your team has called to focus, or else players that are cut off from their medic. If you're doing long range damage on a target that is being tanked by their medic, it's not as efficient as if you could be hitting someone who can't get that health back.

But then again I'm not a demo main so I might be an idiot.
-3 Frags +

I think what is most important with maximizing your damage is consistently keeping pressure on the enemy team with pipes and sticks when holding chokes. You always want to be dealing damage to the other team so that they find it difficult to push into your team. Mid-fights can either go really well or really shitty for demoman, so that shouldn't be where your damage really comes from. I personally like playing demoman on the defensive because it keeps you alive and gives you the opportunity to constantly put out damage until you are able to push with your med+pocket+scout, or whatever your combo is, safely. Demo is an easy class to pick and unless you have amazing accuracy, try to avoid going super aggressive. Staying alive is always the best course of action as it gives you more time to keep their team damaged which effectively maximizes your damage numbers. Find a play style that works for you because what will really get you to the higher levels is figuring out how you can play your best, not limiting yourself to what other people tell you.

EDIT: Scratch all of that, apparently the key to getting good damage is not putting out good spam and staying alive, boy have I been playing this class wrong.

I think what is most important with maximizing your damage is consistently keeping pressure on the enemy team with pipes and sticks when holding chokes. You always want to be dealing damage to the other team so that they find it difficult to push into your team. Mid-fights can either go really well or really shitty for demoman, so that shouldn't be where your damage really comes from. I personally like playing demoman on the defensive because it keeps you alive and gives you the opportunity to constantly put out damage until you are able to push with your med+pocket+scout, or whatever your combo is, safely. Demo is an easy class to pick and unless you have amazing accuracy, try to avoid going super aggressive. Staying alive is always the best course of action as it gives you more time to keep their team damaged which effectively maximizes your damage numbers. Find a play style that works for you because what will really get you to the higher levels is figuring out how you can play your best, not limiting yourself to what other people tell you.

EDIT: Scratch all of that, apparently the key to getting good damage is not putting out good spam and staying alive, boy have I been playing this class wrong.
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.