Upvote Upvoted 2 Downvote Downvoted
1 2
Monitor doesn't recognize new build, dead mobo/GPU
posted in Hardware
0 Frags +

I just built a computer (first build ever!) but when I plug my monitor into it and turn it on, all the fans and stuff work but the monitor says "no input detected" or something like that.
PC Specs:
CPU: AMD FX-6300
GPU: Powercolor R9 270
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43

So I'm starting to think my motherboard or GPU is dead but I dunno HELP
Motherboard does NOT have onboard graphics.
I tested the monitor on another computer and it works.
PLEASE HELP THANKS

I just built a computer (first build ever!) but when I plug my monitor into it and turn it on, all the fans and stuff work but the monitor says "no input detected" or something like that.
PC Specs:

PLEASE HELP THANKS
6 Frags +

Reseat your GPU and/or change PCI-Express slots (if you have multiple on your motherboard). Reseat the power cable going to your GPU (or try a different one if you have multiple 12V rails on your PSU). That's about all you can do.

Reseat your GPU and/or change PCI-Express slots (if you have multiple on your motherboard). Reseat the power cable going to your GPU (or try a different one if you have multiple 12V rails on your PSU). That's about all you can do.
6 Frags +

did you forget to plug in pci-e 6 pin power to your gpu?

did you forget to plug in pci-e 6 pin power to your gpu?
4 Frags +

real recognize real

real recognize real
2 Frags +

If your motherboard doesn't even have a graphics output, make sure that your gpu is receiving power properly, and if that is not the issue, then see if you can exchange it for someone else's to see if it is actually the source of your woes.

If your motherboard doesn't even have a graphics output, make sure that your gpu is receiving power properly, and if that is not the issue, then see if you can exchange it for someone else's to see if it is actually the source of your woes.
0 Frags +
MasterKuniReseat your GPU and/or change PCI-Express slots (if you have multiple on your motherboard). Reseat the power cable going to your GPU (or try a different one if you have multiple 12V rails on your PSU). That's about all you can do.

Did it, no change.

mebdid you forget to plug in pci-e 6 pin power to your gpu?

no
thanks for the replies yall

[quote=MasterKuni]Reseat your GPU and/or change PCI-Express slots (if you have multiple on your motherboard). Reseat the power cable going to your GPU (or try a different one if you have multiple 12V rails on your PSU). That's about all you can do.[/quote]
Did it, no change.
[quote=meb]did you forget to plug in pci-e 6 pin power to your gpu?[/quote]
no
thanks for the replies yall
0 Frags +

are you sure you're using the right cable/port for your monitor because I had the same problem until I tried all the different cables and one worked or something

are you sure you're using the right cable/port for your monitor because I had the same problem until I tried all the different cables and one worked or something
0 Frags +

0 Frags +

Make sure your ram is actually secure on it

Make sure your ram is actually secure on it
1 Frags +
phraxare you sure you're using the right cable/port for your monitor because I had the same problem until I tried all the different cables and one worked or something

I'm using DVI-D, and both my gpu and monitor have a port. Also tried using VGA with an adapter which also didn't work.

nobelharvardsI had this problem with my computer when I first built it. I had an a10-7850k. The BIOS that came on the CD, the F5 version, was old and did not have support for my CPU. What I did, was update the BIOS to F6, which was the latest when I last checked. That fixed it for me. My monitor showed up properly and my computer booted properly.

how do I do that?

EvrewsMake sure your ram is actually secure on it

I checked, it is

[quote=phrax]are you sure you're using the right cable/port for your monitor because I had the same problem until I tried all the different cables and one worked or something[/quote]
I'm using DVI-D, and both my gpu and monitor have a port. Also tried using VGA with an adapter which also didn't work.
[quote=nobelharvards]I had this problem with my computer when I first built it. I had an a10-7850k. The BIOS that came on the CD, the F5 version, was old and did not have support for my CPU. What I did, was update the BIOS to F6, which was the latest when I last checked. That fixed it for me. My monitor showed up properly and my computer booted properly.[/quote]
how do I do that?[quote=Evrews]Make sure your ram is actually secure on it[/quote]
I checked, it is
-2 Frags +

The ram is suppoae to click into place, that's why I was getting the same issue with my first boot up

The ram is suppoae to click into place, that's why I was getting the same issue with my first boot up
0 Frags +
EvrewsThe ram is suppoae to click into place, that's why I was getting the same issue with my first boot up

yup it did click

[quote=Evrews]The ram is suppoae to click into place, that's why I was getting the same issue with my first boot up[/quote]
yup it did click
0 Frags +

make sure you put monitor into the gpu and not the mobo
I had issues with my amd card because I plugged my monitor into the mobo instead of the gpu

make sure you put monitor into the gpu and not the mobo
I had issues with my amd card because I plugged my monitor into the mobo instead of the gpu
0 Frags +
cmemake sure you put monitor into the gpu and not the mobo

mobo doesn't have onboard graphics so I'm pretty sure it's plugged in right. thanks tho

[quote=cme]make sure you put monitor into the gpu and not the mobo
I had issues with my amd card because I plugged my monitor into the mobo instead of the gpu[/quote]
mobo doesn't have onboard graphics so I'm pretty sure it's plugged in right. thanks tho
1 Frags +

Can you try the GPU on another computer? If not, I would say RMA the GPU.

Can you try the GPU on another computer? If not, I would say RMA the GPU.
0 Frags +

UPDATE: I borrowed a crappy GPU from a friend and plugged it in. STILL DIDN"T WORK WTF WHY HELP ME IM SO CONFUSED

UPDATE: I borrowed a crappy GPU from a friend and plugged it in. STILL DIDN"T WORK WTF WHY HELP ME IM SO CONFUSED
3 Frags +

Did that crappy GPU need 6/8 pins?
If so test your GPU in a different pc.

If it works we're down to mobo failure, PSU failure and user failure (aka something's not plugged in correctly).

I take it both the 24pin and 8pin on the mobo are properly connected?

Did that crappy GPU need 6/8 pins?

If it works we're down to mobo failure, PSU failure and user failure (aka something's not plugged in correctly).

-4 Frags +
ZUFESKI just built a computer (first build ever!) but when I plug my monitor into it and turn it on, all the fans and stuff work but the monitor says "no input detected" or something like that.
PC Specs:

PLEASE HELP THANKS

Sorry but... Did you check to see that your Monitor's cable is put into your GRAPHICS CARD and not your motherboard? If so, then please head over to a tech forum. They probably have more knowledge than us, and they can help you fix your problem.

[quote=ZUFESK]I just built a computer (first build ever!) but when I plug my monitor into it and turn it on, all the fans and stuff work but the monitor says "no input detected" or something like that.
PC Specs:

PLEASE HELP THANKS[/quote]

Sorry but... Did you check to see that your Monitor's cable is put into your GRAPHICS CARD and not your motherboard? If so, then please head over to a tech forum. They probably have more knowledge than us, and they can help you fix your problem.
0 Frags +
SetsulDid that crappy GPU need 6/8 pins?

Crappy GPU didn't have a port for any pins. I just plugged it in and that was it.
I'll try to test my GPU, thanks!
Yes

MightyZUFESKI just built a computer (first build ever!) but when I plug my monitor into it and turn it on, all the fans and stuff work but the monitor says "no input detected" or something like that.
PC Specs:

PLEASE HELP THANKS

mobo doesn't not have onboard graphics, so I think it's plugged in right

[quote=Setsul]Did that crappy GPU need 6/8 pins?

I take it both the 24pin and 8pin on the mobo are properly connected?[/quote]
Crappy GPU didn't have a port for any pins. I just plugged it in and that was it.
I'll try to test my GPU, thanks!
Yes[quote=Mighty][quote=ZUFESK]I just built a computer (first build ever!) but when I plug my monitor into it and turn it on, all the fans and stuff work but the monitor says "no input detected" or something like that.
PC Specs:

PLEASE HELP THANKS[/quote]

Sorry but... Did you check to see that your Monitor's cable is put into your GRAPHICS CARD and not your motherboard? If so, then please head over to a tech forum. They probably have more knowledge than us, and they can help you fix your problem.[/quote]
mobo doesn't not have onboard graphics, so I think it's plugged in right
0 Frags +

i dont think ive ever seen a current mobo without onboard graphics so idk about that

i dont think ive ever seen a current mobo without onboard graphics so idk about that
3 Frags +

I literally just bought the exact same setup. I have the same exact problems :/
I dont think its the gpu thats causing the problem because I have 280 and its still not giving an output.

I literally just bought the exact same setup. I have the same exact problems :/
I dont think its the gpu thats causing the problem because I have 280 and its still not giving an output.
0 Frags +
downpouri dont think ive ever seen a current mobo without onboard graphics so idk about that

I'm pretty sure this mobo sucks dick so that might be why

subrosaI literally just bought the exact same setup. I have the same exact problems :/

MY BROTHER

[quote=downpour]i dont think ive ever seen a current mobo without onboard graphics so idk about that[/quote]
I'm pretty sure this mobo sucks dick so that might be why[quote=subrosa]I literally just bought the exact same setup. I have the same exact problems :/
I dont think its the gpu thats causing the problem because I have 280 and its still not giving an output.[/quote]
MY BROTHER
0 Frags +

Looking at the reviews, it seems to be that your GPU is either broken and needs to be RMA'd or you're doing something wrong.
We'll go with the latter:

From the 10-15 second google search of issues with the Powercolor R9 270 and newegg reviews, I would make sure to get the drivers (you seriously screwed the pooch not having onboard graphics dude). And if you can't do that, RMA it and complain about this issue specifically, see if MSI has compatibility issues with radeon, and if they do, you're SOL bud.

Looking at the reviews, it seems to be that your GPU is either broken and needs to be RMA'd or you're doing something wrong.
We'll go with the latter:
[quote]
[/quote]
From the 10-15 second google search of issues with the Powercolor R9 270 and newegg reviews, I would make sure to get the drivers (you seriously screwed the pooch not having onboard graphics dude). And if you can't do that, RMA it and complain about this issue specifically, see if MSI has compatibility issues with radeon, and if they do, you're SOL bud.
0 Frags +
DrPloxoI would make sure to get the drivers

How do I do this? thx 4 the reply btw <3

[quote=DrPloxo]I would make sure to get the drivers [/quote]
How do I do this? thx 4 the reply btw <3
0 Frags +

Any news on testing your GPU?

If it works I'd test it again with your mobo but in the bottom PCIe slot this time.

Any news on testing your GPU?

If it works I'd test it again with your mobo but in the bottom PCIe slot this time.
0 Frags +
SetsulAny news on testing your GPU?

The only computers I own are Macs so I can't test.
NO IM NOT JOKING

also I have tested it on the bottom PCI-E slot and nothing changes

[quote=Setsul]Any news on testing your GPU?

If it works I'd test it again with your mobo but in the bottom PCIe slot this time.[/quote]
The only computers I own are Macs so I can't test.
NO IM NOT JOKING

also I have tested it on the bottom PCI-E slot and nothing changes
1 Frags +

Well since you couldn't test your GPU that doesn't tell us much. Could you test the bottom slot with the crappy GPU?

It's not exactly improving your situation if the top slot and your GPU are dead but at least you'd know it's only those two if the crappy GPU works in the bottom slot.

If it's not working either it could be the mobo, cpu, psu or any combination of those and it's not sure your GPU is working either. Once mobo failure is a possibility it gets really difficult if you can't test the components seperately and just sending all of them in for RMA isn't because you don't know which is broken isn't enjoyable either.

tl;dr
crappy GPU in bottom slot
works -> mobo and GPU defective
doesn't work -> check every part on it's own. You'll need help.

Well since you couldn't test your GPU that doesn't tell us much. Could you test the bottom slot with the crappy GPU?

It's not exactly improving your situation if the top slot and your GPU are dead but at least you'd know it's only those two if the crappy GPU works in the bottom slot.

If it's not working either it could be the mobo, cpu, psu or any combination of those and it's not sure your GPU is working either. Once mobo failure is a possibility it gets really difficult if you can't test the components seperately and just sending all of them in for RMA isn't because you don't know which is broken isn't enjoyable either.

tl;dr
-2 Frags +

when i first built my pc. the issue was a faulty motherboard. much like you I recieved no display. graphics card was fine. got a replacement mobo

I installed a new graphics card recently (msi gtx 970 4g 8] )
had to push my DVI / monitor cables pretty far into the ports of the card. at first i thought it was a dead card but i just pushed the cables in abit tighter and everything has been g.

i've never had a "dead" gpu atleast. not on arrival. and i've never had any with coil whine either :)
dead gpu count = 1 (really old 7600GT died after like 8 years)
dead mobo count = 1 (was faulty when building my pc for the first time)

when i first built my pc. the issue was a faulty motherboard. much like you I recieved no display. graphics card was fine. got a replacement mobo

I installed a new graphics card recently (msi gtx 970 4g 8] )
had to push my DVI / monitor cables pretty far into the ports of the card. at first i thought it was a dead card but i just pushed the cables in abit tighter and everything has been g.

i've never had a "dead" gpu atleast. not on arrival. and i've never had any with coil whine either :)
dead gpu count = 1 (really old 7600GT died after like 8 years)
dead mobo count = 1 (was faulty when building my pc for the first time)
0 Frags +
SetsulWell since you couldn't test your GPU that doesn't tell us much. Could you test the bottom slot with the crappy GPU?

tl;dr

tested crappy gpu in bottom slot, doesn't work.

[quote=Setsul]Well since you couldn't test your GPU that doesn't tell us much. Could you test the bottom slot with the crappy GPU?

tl;dr
doesn't work -> check every part on it's own. You'll need help.[/quote]
tested crappy gpu in bottom slot, doesn't work.
0 Frags +

Are there any POST beeps from the motherboard?
Clean the contacts on RAM modules (this once fixed a problem identical to what you're describing for me) and maybe the graphics cards too. I used isopropanol and some paper towel, lint-free cloth would probably be better though.
Test RAM in different slots and with one module at a time.
If you have Mac desktops it's possible they'll have RAM in them that's compatible with your motherboard, it may be worth looking into for testing purposes.
Did you put the CPU in yourself, could you have bent or broken any of the pins?
Remember to take anti-static precautions while handling computer innards and only test one thing at a time to make sure you know what issues you're ruling out.

Without other equipment to test with, you're in a bit of a pickle. It may be worth contacting whoever sold you the parts. I'd be tempted to send it all back and try again, though distance selling regulations are quite kind to customers here in the UK.

By the way, ignore suggestions about drivers, they're irrelevant if you can't boot into an operating system.
Firmware and BIOS/EFI is a different matter but you're not likely to be able to update anything without a display.

Good luck old chap.

Are there any POST beeps from the motherboard?
Clean the contacts on RAM modules (this once fixed a problem identical to what you're describing for me) and maybe the graphics cards too. I used isopropanol and some paper towel, lint-free cloth would probably be better though.
Test RAM in different slots and with one module at a time.
If you have Mac desktops it's [i]possible[/i] they'll have RAM in them that's compatible with your motherboard, it may be worth looking into for testing purposes.
Did you put the CPU in yourself, could you have bent or broken any of the pins?
Remember to take anti-static precautions while handling computer innards and only test one thing at a time to make sure you know what issues you're ruling out.

Without other equipment to test with, you're in a bit of a pickle. It may be worth contacting whoever sold you the parts. I'd be tempted to send it all back and try again, though distance selling regulations are quite kind to customers here in the UK.

By the way, ignore suggestions about drivers, they're irrelevant if you can't boot into an operating system.
Firmware and BIOS/EFI is a different matter but you're not likely to be able to update anything without a display.

Good luck old chap.
1 2
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.