Upvote Upvoted 4 Downvote Downvoted
User-driven scoring site could use some feedback
0 Frags +

What's up guys?

I wanted to give everyone a quick heads up about a pet project that myself and a friend have been working on for some time now: a website that utilizes user voting to create tier lists, leaderboards, and scores that we feel more accurately reflect the views of the community. We've got some friends list features built in, but the crux of what we're trying to do is just get around the arbitrary nature of the way scores currently work.

Players vote on how they think certain aspects of a given game should be weighted against each other (for TF2, classes, for CSGO, guns) and then tier lists and leaderboards will be created using that input. We also built in some cross-game voting options, but those are more for general amusement. There's a lot more info about how the system works on the site itself, http://www.pyclid.com/

Ultimately, we're looking to create these custom scores and leaderboards for most games on all platforms, but TF2, CSGO, and CSS are our pilot programs, as they're what we love and play ourselves. What we're really trying to do now is get some knowledgeable players to give us feedback on our model. It's an early prototype and we know it's not perfect. The voting options are pretty bare bones now, but we want your advice on what kind of choices you guys would like to see, what you like, what you hate, etc. We have a thread up on the TF2 steam forums as well, and 'The Medic' recommended we get some input from are more specific and dedicated crowd.

What's up guys?

I wanted to give everyone a quick heads up about a pet project that myself and a friend have been working on for some time now: a website that utilizes user voting to create tier lists, leaderboards, and scores that we feel more accurately reflect the views of the community. We've got some friends list features built in, but the crux of what we're trying to do is just get around the arbitrary nature of the way scores currently work.

Players vote on how they think certain aspects of a given game should be weighted against each other (for TF2, classes, for CSGO, guns) and then tier lists and leaderboards will be created using that input. We also built in some cross-game voting options, but those are more for general amusement. There's a lot more info about how the system works on the site itself, http://www.pyclid.com/

Ultimately, we're looking to create these custom scores and leaderboards for most games on all platforms, but TF2, CSGO, and CSS are our pilot programs, as they're what we love and play ourselves. What we're really trying to do now is get some knowledgeable players to give us feedback on our model. It's an early prototype and we know it's not perfect. The voting options are pretty bare bones now, but we want your advice on what kind of choices you guys would like to see, what you like, what you hate, etc. We have a thread up on the TF2 steam forums as well, and 'The Medic' recommended we get some input from are more specific and dedicated crowd.
0 Frags +

site-wise when the page partially loads you get this really piercing bsod shade of blue which is a bit of an eyesore but you only see it for half a second at most so do what you will

http://puu.sh/gvpG7.jpg

site-wise when the page partially loads you get this really piercing bsod shade of blue which is a bit of an eyesore but you only see it for half a second at most so do what you will
[img]http://puu.sh/gvpG7.jpg[/img]
0 Frags +
chronosite-wise when the page partially loads you get this really piercing bsod shade of blue which is a bit of an eyesore but you only see it for half a second at most so do what you will
http://puu.sh/gvpG7.jpg

Hmm, interesting, thanks for the input chrono! Sitting down with the developer tomorrow, I'll see if we cant straighten that out. That is in fact a disturbingly irritating shade of blue, haha.

[quote=chrono]site-wise when the page partially loads you get this really piercing bsod shade of blue which is a bit of an eyesore but you only see it for half a second at most so do what you will
[img]http://puu.sh/gvpG7.jpg[/img][/quote]

Hmm, interesting, thanks for the input chrono! Sitting down with the developer tomorrow, I'll see if we cant straighten that out. That is in fact a disturbingly irritating shade of blue, haha.
0 Frags +

Interesting concept, but it doesn't really apply to anything in comp tf2, I think
Firstly, if your intention is to create some scaling factor for points, it's basically pointless (hah) because points don't matter in this game.
Every class has a role to play, and some roles just equate to more points.
For example, the current voting indicate that scout is a more skilled class than soldier. If you had no understanding of comp tf2, you might assume that with equally talented players playing scout and soldier, the soldier would have more points, but this isn't true, because the role of scouts in tf2 is cleaning up frags and capping points, both of which will give higher score counts than a soldier playing his role, who has to defend the medic, or distract the team or do splash damage.
So what are you actually trying to achieve here?
Or, if you are trying to achieve what I think you are, why are you using tf2?

Interesting concept, but it doesn't really apply to anything in comp tf2, I think
Firstly, if your intention is to create some scaling factor for points, it's basically pointless (hah) because points don't matter in this game.
For example, the current voting indicate that scout is a more skilled class than soldier. If you had no understanding of comp tf2, you might assume that with equally talented players playing scout and soldier, the soldier would have more points, but this isn't true, because the role of scouts in tf2 is cleaning up frags and capping points, both of which will give higher score counts than a soldier playing his role, who has to defend the medic, or distract the team or do splash damage.
3 Frags +

How in the fuck does the AWP have the highest skill cap in CS:GO... CSS has a much more appropriate skill cap spread.

Also surprisingly the skill cap by class for TF2 is pretty close to what I would expect.
Heavy/Engineer/Pyro being the easiest
and
Demo/Medic being some of the hardest. Honestly sniper should at the very least be behind demo.

How in the fuck does the AWP have the highest skill cap in CS:GO... CSS has a much more appropriate skill cap spread.

Also surprisingly the skill cap by class for TF2 is pretty close to what I would expect.
and
Demo/Medic being some of the hardest. Honestly sniper should at the very least be behind demo.
0 Frags +
ErenJayInteresting concept, but it doesn't really apply to anything in comp tf2, I think

Thanks so much for the input, ErenJay. In all honesty, for TF2, I don't disagree that much. Similar to fighting games or MOBAs, I do not expect the actual point tallying to be as big of a draw. It's more the testing of the user-driven concept, and the creation of a tier list that reflects the aggregate views of the community (and ideally, eventually we want a different list for people at different skill levels). We also envision the polling system being used for things like top play or highlight videos on a weekly/monthly basis, and anything else that would benefit from user input. If anything, the score might be more useful on an individual level. Tracking your total class-specific score over time versus others who play the same role might be useful, or at the very least amusing.

It really just goes back to it being a game we're familiar with that has a passionate and positive community. Thanks again for the insights.

[quote=ErenJay]Interesting concept, but it doesn't really apply to anything in comp tf2, I think
Or, if you are trying to achieve what I think you are, why are you using tf2?[/quote]

Thanks so much for the input, ErenJay. In all honesty, for TF2, I don't disagree that much. Similar to fighting games or MOBAs, I do not expect the actual point tallying to be as big of a draw. It's more the testing of the user-driven concept, and the creation of a tier list that reflects the aggregate views of the community (and ideally, eventually we want a different list for people at different skill levels). We also envision the polling system being used for things like top play or highlight videos on a weekly/monthly basis, and anything else that would benefit from user input. If anything, the score might be more useful on an individual level. Tracking your total class-specific score over time versus others who play the same role might be useful, or at the very least amusing.

It really just goes back to it being a game we're familiar with that has a passionate and positive community. Thanks again for the insights.
0 Frags +
ComangliaHow in the fuck does the AWP have the highest skill cap in CS:GO... CSS has a much more appropriate skill cap spread.

and

Haha yeah, good question. Right now I think it's a function of not having many votes in the system yet, as we did a full wipe a couple days before launching. Either that, or the people who have voted thus far may play at a higher level than most, where the AWP isn't looked down upon as much, and is seen as a game-changer with a much higher skill cap. Interested to see how it plays out. And the same with TF2 I think. It's just a matter of small sample size at the moment. Eventually, if people share that opinion, it'll be reflected in the scaling.

[quote=Comanglia]How in the fuck does the AWP have the highest skill cap in CS:GO... CSS has a much more appropriate skill cap spread.

and
Demo/Medic being some of the hardest. Honestly sniper should at the very least be behind demo.[/quote]

Haha yeah, good question. Right now I think it's a function of not having many votes in the system yet, as we did a full wipe a couple days before launching. Either that, or the people who have voted thus far may play at a higher level than most, where the AWP isn't looked down upon as much, and is seen as a game-changer with a much higher skill cap. Interested to see how it plays out. And the same with TF2 I think. It's just a matter of small sample size at the moment. Eventually, if people share that opinion, it'll be reflected in the scaling.
0 Frags +
BrovietComangliaHow in the fuck does the AWP have the highest skill cap in CS:GO... CSS has a much more appropriate skill cap spread.

and

Yeah but high impact doesn't mean high skill cap, Scar-20 is high impact but it's pretty damn easy to use. M249 technically speaking has a ridiculous spread making it a very difficult weapon to use then again their's no reason to perfect that kind of spread and it's pretty damn easy to just spray and pray.

AK47 and Deagle definitely deserve those top spots though, I'm just nitpicking lol.

[quote=Broviet][quote=Comanglia]How in the fuck does the AWP have the highest skill cap in CS:GO... CSS has a much more appropriate skill cap spread.

and
Demo/Medic being some of the hardest. Honestly sniper should at the very least be behind demo.[/quote]

Haha yeah, good question. Right now I think it's a function of not having many votes in the system yet, as we did a full wipe a couple days before launching. Either that, or the people who have voted thus far may play at a higher level than most, where the AWP isn't looked down upon as much, and is seen as a game-changer with a much higher skill cap. Interested to see how it plays out. And the same with TF2 I think. It's just a matter of small sample size at the moment. Eventually, if people share that opinion, it'll be reflected in the scaling.[/quote]

Yeah but high impact doesn't mean high skill cap, Scar-20 is high impact but it's pretty damn easy to use. M249 technically speaking has a ridiculous spread making it a very difficult weapon to use then again their's no reason to perfect that kind of spread and it's pretty damn easy to just spray and pray.

AK47 and Deagle definitely deserve those top spots though, I'm just nitpicking lol.
0 Frags +

There's been some good development in the tier lists, and we've expanded the game database to include USF4 and Dota 2! Thanks for the input thus far, guys!

There's been some good development in the tier lists, and we've expanded the game database to include USF4 and Dota 2! Thanks for the input thus far, guys!
0 Frags +

I wanted to ask you guys a TF2-specific question.

We are considering adding support for Mann vs Machine. Is this something TF2 players would be interested in? We're not sure how much of the population continues to play this game type.

I wanted to ask you guys a TF2-specific question.

We are considering adding support for Mann vs Machine. Is this something TF2 players would be interested in? We're not sure how much of the population continues to play this game type.
0 Frags +

MvM isn't really something that can be voted on like this. The people that play it seriously are a really low denomination that wouldn't tend to be interested in this kind of thing.

MvM isn't really something that can be voted on like this. The people that play it seriously are a really low denomination that wouldn't tend to be interested in this kind of thing.
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.