Upvote Upvoted 36 Downvote Downvoted
Help Critique My Viaduct History Guide
0 Frags +

Hi folks. I recently wrote a little history of how Viaduct's been played in ESEA 6s and I'd really love feedback from y'all.

I started watching 6s in 2009, and watching comp was the reason I ended up picking up the game in 2011. One thing I've noticed is that newer players/redditors seem to have a very confused notion of what "the 6s meta" is and like to criticize it for being stale. This has always baffled me, but I think it's because these players may only have seen recent games and don't have much to compare them to. I figured a history explaining where the 6s community has come from would help newer players give a more nuanced view that doesn't focus wholly on unlocks. As such, I've written this guide primarily for newer players and not so much for people who know 6s well (I don't think there's anything I could teach you guys).

Despite the fact that I've been watching 6s for 6 years now, I've never advanced past the lowest levels of 6s. I have a lot experience watching the games (I've probably spent more time watching VODs and demos than I have actually playing), but I'm obviously not a great TF2 player and I'm sure there are a number of mistakes I've made or Viaduct stories I've neglected. If anyone would be willing to skim through and point out my errors (be they content or grammar) I'd really appreciate it. I had a ton of fun writing it, and I'm hoping to make more in the future if people find it useful. I'm linking the guide below.

I'm going to post it to the tf2 subreddits once I have some more feedback, but if anyone knows a community of lower level players who might find this useful I'd love to share it there too.

Thanks!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=412724426

Hi folks. I recently wrote a little history of how Viaduct's been played in ESEA 6s and I'd really love feedback from y'all.

I started watching 6s in 2009, and watching comp was the reason I ended up picking up the game in 2011. One thing I've noticed is that newer players/redditors seem to have a very confused notion of what "the 6s meta" is and like to criticize it for being stale. This has always baffled me, but I think it's because these players may only have seen recent games and don't have much to compare them to. I figured a history explaining where the 6s community has come from would help newer players give a more nuanced view that doesn't focus wholly on unlocks. As such, I've written this guide primarily for newer players and not so much for people who know 6s well (I don't think there's anything I could teach you guys).

Despite the fact that I've been watching 6s for 6 years now, I've never advanced past the lowest levels of 6s. I have a lot experience watching the games (I've probably spent more time watching VODs and demos than I have actually playing), but I'm obviously not a great TF2 player and I'm sure there are a number of mistakes I've made or Viaduct stories I've neglected. If anyone would be willing to skim through and point out my errors (be they content or grammar) I'd really appreciate it. I had a ton of fun writing it, and I'm hoping to make more in the future if people find it useful. I'm linking the guide below.

I'm going to post it to the tf2 subreddits once I have some more feedback, but if anyone knows a community of lower level players who might find this useful I'd love to share it there too.

Thanks!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=412724426
45 Frags +

"Sigma, a legendary TF2 theory-crafter and very much like a talented version of Slin"

the more i read the better it gets

"Sigma, a legendary TF2 theory-crafter and very much like a talented version of Slin"

the more i read the better it gets
3 Frags +

Nitpicking but you might want to refer to "the meta" as its full name "metagame" more often, would help with the flow/tone

Otherwise good job

Nitpicking but you might want to refer to "the meta" as its full name "metagame" more often, would help with the flow/tone

Otherwise good job
1 Frags +

really cool read, more of these would be really fun too

maybe you might wanna link some demos/casts of modern TF2 games for your second section, but other than that it looked

COOL

really cool read, more of these would be really fun too

maybe you might wanna link some demos/casts of modern TF2 games for your second section, but other than that it looked

COOL
RGB LAN
17 Frags +

Unless I missed a part, I think one big change you're missing is that the capture time got cut in half in an update right after s6 LAN. If I remember right, 1x on the point used to be 24 seconds, and then got changed to 12 seconds. Eveb with quite a few bodies on point, it still took a very long time for a team to capture prior to the update. Because of this, I think "old Viaduct" should be considered s5 to s6.

This changed entirely how Viaduct was played, because back on Pandemic / blight-fanom, our strategy was to keep TLR and I in house. Justin ran sniper and everyone played mostly passive, maybe except ww going in to annoy the other team. Justin did a fantastic job at constantly rotating sniper spots to pick people off, too. Once the other team started to throw a ton of bodies on the point to start the ridiculously slow cap, then TLR and I would walk out of house and uber onto the point. Our entire team would collapse on them while Justin continued to snipe people.

In s5, we tried to make this work and did an okay job of it, but we were still a new team. In s6, I had no doubt in my mind that we were the best team in the world at it. I think that's because Ruwin was also incredible at roaming around as scout and getting important kills, along with Orzo just being a ridiculously solid Demo. I always felt like we played the map to near perfection in s6.

In s7, not only did we have a lot of roster changes, but we couldn't play Viaduct the same anymore after the changes. Staying in house was no longer a good idea, because you wouldn't get to the point in time if they threw a bunch of bodies onto point. You *might* get there in time, but it would be 95% capped, which isn't really worth it at that point. It's probably better to let them cap it, fight, and if you die, you get quicker respawns. But ideally, you need to play closer to point to stop them from getting a bunch of cap time.

None of this was an issue prior to s7, because by the time you would exit house to uber onto point, the point might have been capped somewhere around 25-50%, which wasn't a big deal. Also, running 24/7 sniper wasn't nearly as good as it was before, and playing more aggressively (such as forward holding) tended to be more rewarding.

Unless I missed a part, I think one big change you're missing is that the capture time got cut in half in an update right after s6 LAN. If I remember right, 1x on the point used to be 24 seconds, and then got changed to 12 seconds. Eveb with quite a few bodies on point, it still took a very long time for a team to capture prior to the update. Because of this, I think "old Viaduct" should be considered s5 to s6.

This changed entirely how Viaduct was played, because back on Pandemic / blight-fanom, our strategy was to keep TLR and I in house. Justin ran sniper and everyone played mostly passive, maybe except ww going in to annoy the other team. Justin did a fantastic job at constantly rotating sniper spots to pick people off, too. Once the other team started to throw a ton of bodies on the point to start the ridiculously slow cap, then TLR and I would walk out of house and uber onto the point. Our entire team would collapse on them while Justin continued to snipe people.

In s5, we tried to make this work and did an okay job of it, but we were still a new team. In s6, I had no doubt in my mind that we were the best team in the world at it. I think that's because Ruwin was also incredible at roaming around as scout and getting important kills, along with Orzo just being a ridiculously solid Demo. I always felt like we played the map to near perfection in s6.

In s7, not only did we have a lot of roster changes, but we couldn't play Viaduct the same anymore after the changes. Staying in house was no longer a good idea, because you wouldn't get to the point in time if they threw a bunch of bodies onto point. You *might* get there in time, but it would be 95% capped, which isn't really worth it at that point. It's probably better to let them cap it, fight, and if you die, you get quicker respawns. But ideally, you need to play closer to point to stop them from getting a bunch of cap time.

None of this was an issue prior to s7, because by the time you would exit house to uber onto point, the point might have been capped somewhere around 25-50%, which wasn't a big deal. Also, running 24/7 sniper wasn't nearly as good as it was before, and playing more aggressively (such as forward holding) tended to be more rewarding.
5 Frags +

Thank you so much for the feedback TheFragile, that's exactly what I was looking for. The selection of VODs and demos I have for the pre-S8 period is really limited and I knew I was missing a lot. I'll definitely expand the article to incorporate your insight and the other suggestions that have been posted here.

If anyone knows of pre-S8 demos that can still be watched, I'd really appreciate a DL link. I've been trying to watch old videos on youtube, but apparently no one recorded and uploaded full game commentary until a little later.

Thank you so much for the feedback TheFragile, that's exactly what I was looking for. The selection of VODs and demos I have for the pre-S8 period is really limited and I knew I was missing a lot. I'll definitely expand the article to incorporate your insight and the other suggestions that have been posted here.

If anyone knows of pre-S8 demos that can still be watched, I'd really appreciate a DL link. I've been trying to watch old videos on youtube, but apparently no one recorded and uploaded full game commentary until a little later.
2 Frags +

I know Harb posted some POV demos from like s6 - there may be some viaduct floating around in there (the demos still work, in so far as they're viewable, they're just not entirely correct lol).

I know Harb posted some POV demos from like s6 - there may be some viaduct floating around in there (the demos still work, in so far as they're viewable, they're just not entirely correct lol).
-1 Frags +

The S8 blight v x6 demo link doesn't work :S

The S8 blight v x6 demo link doesn't work :S
0 Frags +
MarxistI know Harb posted some POV demos from like s6 - there may be some viaduct floating around in there (the demos still work, in so far as they're viewable, they're just not entirely correct lol).

Thanks for the tip. They don't have to be Viaduct specifically, I'm looking into Badlands next because I figured there's a wealth of resources for it.

nopeThe S8 blight v x6 demo link doesn't work :S

I've replaced it with a dropbox link. Let me know if that doesn't work either.

[quote=Marxist]I know Harb posted some POV demos from like s6 - there may be some viaduct floating around in there (the demos still work, in so far as they're viewable, they're just not entirely correct lol).[/quote]

Thanks for the tip. They don't have to be Viaduct specifically, I'm looking into Badlands next because I figured there's a wealth of resources for it.

[quote=nope]The S8 blight v x6 demo link doesn't work :S[/quote]

I've replaced it with a dropbox link. Let me know if that doesn't work either.
0 Frags +

It would be awesome if you included a VOD of IM on Viaduct b/c honestly that's the biggest meta shift in the past year or so because scout -> sniper and then pocket -> scout is a pretty interesting class composition.

Although most teams banned Via at i52 and I don't think Cyberleague VODs ever got posted, so I'm not sure where you would find a good example. Anyway good article.

It would be awesome if you included a VOD of IM on Viaduct b/c honestly that's the biggest meta shift in the past year or so because scout -> sniper and then pocket -> scout is a pretty interesting class composition.

Although most teams banned Via at i52 and I don't think Cyberleague VODs ever got posted, so I'm not sure where you would find a good example. Anyway good article.
1 Frags +
AlkalineIt would be awesome if you included a VOD of IM on Viaduct b/c honestly that's the biggest meta shift in the past year or so because scout -> sniper and then pocket -> scout is a pretty interesting class composition.

no need for names / mad men ran powah sniper and rr scout in s12

https://mega.co.nz/#!cgV3CTqJ!gvX00S6rAH6G-K885c7nr1v18ZIYSMCebZF0TGyaO7M

god bless you beater

[quote=Alkaline]It would be awesome if you included a VOD of IM on Viaduct b/c honestly that's the biggest meta shift in the past year or so because scout -> sniper and then pocket -> scout is a pretty interesting class composition.

Although most teams banned Via at i52 and I don't think Cyberleague VODs ever got posted, so I'm not sure where you would find a good example. Anyway good article.[/quote]

god bless you beater
0 Frags +
AlkalineIt would be awesome if you included a VOD of IM on Viaduct b/c honestly that's the biggest meta shift in the past year or so because scout -> sniper and then pocket -> scout is a pretty interesting class composition.

I spent a good while looking through my demos to find a game on Via between iM and a top level team, I wanted to expand on that too.

god bless you beater

Perfect, didn't think to look back to S12. I seem to remember a casted match of nNn on Viaduct, I'll try to find some and update that section of the guide.

[quote=Alkaline]It would be awesome if you included a VOD of IM on Viaduct b/c honestly that's the biggest meta shift in the past year or so because scout -> sniper and then pocket -> scout is a pretty interesting class composition.

Although most teams banned Via at i52 and I don't think Cyberleague VODs ever got posted, so I'm not sure where you would find a good example. Anyway good article.[/quote]

I spent a good while looking through my demos to find a game on Via between iM and a top level team, I wanted to expand on that too.

[quote=4812622]

god bless you beater[/quote]

Perfect, didn't think to look back to S12. I seem to remember a casted match of nNn on Viaduct, I'll try to find some and update that section of the guide.
-5 Frags +

ur forgetting about the ooviaduct piss rifle catastrophe

ur forgetting about the ooviaduct piss rifle catastrophe
0 Frags +
mur forgetting about the ooviaduct piss rifle catastrophe

It's there.

[quote=m]ur forgetting about the ooviaduct piss rifle catastrophe[/quote]
It's there.
4 Frags +

some interesting points by fragile, i didnt even realize cap time was slower on original viaduct

article was good, more shit like this would be nice

some interesting points by fragile, i didnt even realize cap time was slower on original viaduct

article was good, more shit like this would be nice
0 Frags +

That was an interesting read, good job

That was an interesting read, good job
0 Frags +

Yop very good , I learnt something new :)

Yop very good , I learnt something new :)
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.