Upvote Upvoted 12 Downvote Downvoted
Pillars of Eternity Releases in a day or so
posted in Other Games
0 Frags +

http://store.steampowered.com/app/291650/
I'm in the process of trying not to be excited for a game.

I was involved in its (then) record breaking kickstarter campaign 2 years ago, and will be, eventually, getting a signed copy of this game along with the digital download. Hopefully it doesn't suck - but most of the "review" type websites out there are singing it's praises and saying, that at last, I've got my follow up to Baldur's gate 2 - it only took 15 years..

I fully intend to get this game running as soon as I can and completely disappear for 3+ days. To relive my teen days, I've procured a case of coke, which will be ice cold throughout, and a box of cinnamon pop tarts.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/291650/
I'm in the process of trying not to be excited for a game.

I was involved in its (then) record breaking kickstarter campaign 2 years ago, and will be, eventually, getting a signed copy of this game along with the digital download. Hopefully it doesn't suck - but most of the "review" type websites out there are singing it's praises and saying, that at last, I've got my follow up to Baldur's gate 2 - it only took 15 years..

I fully intend to get this game running as soon as I can and completely disappear for 3+ days. To relive my teen days, I've procured a case of coke, which will be ice cold throughout, and a box of cinnamon pop tarts.
-4 Frags +

coke and pop tarts doesn't sound like a good combination to me...

coke and pop tarts doesn't sound like a good combination to me...
5 Frags +

My dietary habits were very bad, but it will *hopefully* be worth it.

My dietary habits were very bad, but it will *hopefully* be worth it.
0 Frags +

0 Frags +

I'm just hoping it isn't like blueberries tom ;)

I'm just hoping it isn't like blueberries tom ;)
0 Frags +

I just hope they fixed armor for non-tanks (where wearing armor was actually worse for you as a DPS/Healer). Apparently the game is about 60+ hours or something. Only game I've Kickstarted.

I just hope they fixed armor for non-tanks (where wearing armor was actually worse for you as a DPS/Healer). Apparently the game is about 60+ hours or something. Only game I've Kickstarted.
0 Frags +

Sureshot convinced me to get this. I'm hoping in the future that they introduce co-op akin to what Divinity: original sin had. I can see the large amount of dialogue and story branch changes they'd have to make to accompany it, but it was damn fun trucking through a well polished rpg with a friend. Still excited for this one, even though I don't have the same history with these sorts of games.

Sureshot convinced me to get this. I'm hoping in the future that they introduce co-op akin to what Divinity: original sin had. I can see the large amount of dialogue and story branch changes they'd have to make to accompany it, but it was damn fun trucking through a well polished rpg with a friend. Still excited for this one, even though I don't have the same history with these sorts of games.
0 Frags +

They said the reason they didnt do any multiplayer was so that they could make the game bigger, given the hassle of adding functional multiplayer in. They're already talking about making an expansion pack though - i could see multiplayer being a part of that (since a bunch of the games that came before it did have multiplayer).

I kickstarted torment II and Wasteland II because I'm an old interplay/black isle/brian fargo fanboi - I was very pleased with Wasteland 2.

They said the reason they didnt do any multiplayer was so that they could make the game bigger, given the hassle of adding functional multiplayer in. They're already talking about making an expansion pack though - i could see multiplayer being a part of that (since a bunch of the games that came before it did have multiplayer).

I kickstarted torment II and Wasteland II because I'm an old interplay/black isle/brian fargo fanboi - I was very pleased with Wasteland 2.
0 Frags +

Thoughts so far?

I think it's pretty spectacular. My only real complaint is that gamey-ness is prioritized over the DnD RP stuff. Like why do I have to pay 300 gold for my wizard to learn a spell? Who am I paying exactly? In the IE games if I wanted to write every spell I found to my mage's scrollbook I could because that just makes sense. I also really dislike the inventory system where there's no item weight and you're expected to throw every item you find into some infinitely large magical vortex that you can't take anything out of until bedtime. But maybe those things bother me more than they should cuz I'm a real life DnD nerd too. Combat definitely makes up for it. Took a while to get in the flow of things but it's super intense and rewarding. I love how ridiculously dangerous magic is. Writing and world building are definitely up to standard. I'm really happy I decided to get it, and it's great to see a big Kickstarter project really deliver.

Thoughts so far?

I think it's pretty spectacular. My only real complaint is that gamey-ness is prioritized over the DnD RP stuff. Like why do I have to pay 300 gold for my wizard to learn a spell? Who am I paying exactly? In the IE games if I wanted to write every spell I found to my mage's scrollbook I could because that just makes sense. I also really dislike the inventory system where there's no item weight and you're expected to throw every item you find into some infinitely large magical vortex that you can't take anything out of until bedtime. But maybe those things bother me more than they should cuz I'm a real life DnD nerd too. Combat definitely makes up for it. Took a while to get in the flow of things but it's super intense and rewarding. I love how ridiculously dangerous magic is. Writing and world building are definitely up to standard. I'm really happy I decided to get it, and it's great to see a big Kickstarter project really deliver.
0 Frags +

I'm *more* than pleased. The expectation for the game was enough - I haven't been able to be genuinely excited about a new release in a long time - and then it actually paid off.

As for your concerns about spell costery lol. I think it's a carry over from 3.0/3.5 D&D where scribing scrolls cost a small monetary fee because you had "material" costs associated with it somehow. It's not like the money matters really - 300 coppers are nothing.

I honestly love the Stash lol. In part because they've decided to include so much crap in the game lol I mean everybody wears a hat just about! lol.

I take it as a D&D-esq hand-waive. We'd always just hand-waive that the party had a team of mules + a wagon that we'd toss all our crap in (along with a few 1sp/day mercs to stand around and guard said mules + wagon when we weren't around). Or alternatively some donkey's + mercs if it was a mountain lol. I mean what self-respecting band of adventurers *doesn't* have a team of mules + carts following them around right?

I expected the game to be a lot more light-hearted than it is - it's quite grim, but I suppose Chris Avellone had a lot to do with that lol, and I'm 100% OK with that.

I'm *more* than pleased. The expectation for the game was enough - I haven't been able to be genuinely excited about a new release in a long time - and then it actually paid off.

As for your concerns about spell costery lol. I think it's a carry over from 3.0/3.5 D&D where scribing scrolls cost a small monetary fee because you had "material" costs associated with it somehow. It's not like the money matters really - 300 coppers are nothing.

I honestly love the Stash lol. In part because they've decided to include so much crap in the game lol I mean everybody wears a hat just about! lol.

I take it as a D&D-esq hand-waive. We'd always just hand-waive that the party had a team of mules + a wagon that we'd toss all our crap in (along with a few 1sp/day mercs to stand around and guard said mules + wagon when we weren't around). Or alternatively some donkey's + mercs if it was a mountain lol. I mean what self-respecting band of adventurers *doesn't* have a team of mules + carts following them around right?

I expected the game to be a lot more light-hearted than it is - it's quite grim, but I suppose Chris Avellone had a lot to do with that lol, and I'm 100% OK with that.
0 Frags +

there is a bug in the game if you double click to equip to replace an item you have you can possibly lose all racial buffs / passives permanently be careful

there is a bug in the game if you double click to equip to replace an item you have you can possibly lose all racial buffs / passives permanently be careful
0 Frags +

Yea it's really small and I'm over it now. I still feel really dumb selling 35 Xaurip spears to some poor blacksmith though.

Yea it's really small and I'm over it now. I still feel really dumb selling 35 Xaurip spears to some poor blacksmith though.
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.