Upvote Upvoted 46 Downvote Downvoted
Kaneco's Recording and Editing Resources
posted in Videos
0 Frags +

First of all let me say I don't consider myself an expert in any of these things, but after editing almost 50 videos for our series @ the comp.tf youtube channel and a couple fragmovies (which amounts to a few hundred hours) I feel pretty comfortable working with this kind of stuff.

I have collected and created a decent amount of resources I use regularly for recording and editing tf2 movies and I will be sharing these in this thread with you.

Updated Custom VPKs:
So the last update where valve changed audio files from .wav to .mp3 broke most of the custom .vpks I had running with lawena, so I went around and updated all of them to be compatible with that last update. Most of them are already existent vpks bundled with most recording tools (personally I use lawena), I did create the no_killstreak_sound.vpk to get rid of the annoying killstreak sounds but other than that I just converted the existing ones to be compatible with the update.

Recording Configs:
Now this is where it all started, back when I started the config that came originally with lawena was a bit buggy for me and I had lot's of issues running other people demos, so I modified the original chris max quality config a bit, created a few extra auxiliary configs and more importantly created a Full Config Lock, now this is particularly useful for people like me who edit (or view) tons of other people's demos, because when you run a POV demo, the demo generally executes the configs/cvars that were used on the source computer, so it can get pretty weird, ex: I had a demo that would change graphical options after changing class, another one that would disable and enable viewmodels every 2 secs (making them blink), every weird script and setting u can imagine I have seen it, these were VERY annoying when recording stuff, messing up entire recordings and even crashing the game a lot. So I went ahead and created a full config lock, what this does is lock a few hundred cvars so that these can't be changed after starting the game, even when running a demo.

Created a separate viewmodel lock config, for the demos I had weird issues with the viewmodel (this was the one I used to solve the script that was making the viewmodel blink every couple seconds on one particular demo) and a couple other auxiliary configs.

These are meant to be used with lawena so I am not responsible for any problems you might have with other recording tools. Also you can use them separately if you wish, just make sure you know your way around configs and basic cvars to understand what's going on in those.

Vegas Settings:
I included as well my rendering settings for Sony Vegas which is usually the software I use for editing.

Encoding:
First of all, this was one of my biggest headaches back when I was starting to edit, it was hard to figure an encoding solution with a decent balance between quality compression, and also encoding time. I started with H.264 and the results weren't satisfactory to me and also it was very buggy on my computer so after ducky's suggestion I changed to MeGui, now megui's a great tool and the results were great, but it had a couple of problems, first of all it's kinda like killing a fly with a shotgun, the software is not user friendly at all and u can mess up very easily, the second problem is that it took a huge time to encode, so performance wise it wasn't the best. I tried a couple more solutions until I eventually settled with Adobe Media Encoder, it's a great software, really user friendly and the results are not only great but very fast (ex: from 35-40 mins to 7-8 mins to encode the same video from megui to adobe media encoder), the filesize does increase a bit (from 70 to aprox. 105 mbs in the video I tested) but since I upgraded my internet this stopped being a problem (the only issue would be the time it took to upload to youtube).

Also if you wanna check the differences in the final result, back when I was testing this stuff I uploaded a few different ones to youtube, the differences are very minimal to the naked eye (mainly in the colors) and it certainly doesn't impact the quality of the final video. Adobe test, Megui 16 test, Megui 18 test

Over time I created a few presets for this tool which I use regularly, these settings follow youtube's official encoding guidelines so I think they should be pretty close to optimal performance on youtube.

TF2 Sounds:
I got these (from a source I don't remember) back when I started, but they've been really useful to me so I'm gonna include these in the pack. Basically it's a pack of clear and crisp tf2 sounds (ex: sniper headshot, rocket firing, scattergun reload sound, etc) which are really useful when editing.

Where I find music:
Last but not least I included my collection of sources where I get the music for my videos from, I've been collecting and curating these for almost a year now so it should make a pretty decent variety with good music and more importantly, helps not getting flagged for copyright.

Full Pack Download:
Download the zipped package on Mega here.

I guess I can also make this thread a place where I share other stuff related to this or to answer any questions you might have related to recording and editing tf2 movies, so go ahead and shoot any questions you might have.

First of all let me say I don't consider myself an expert in any of these things, but after editing almost 50 videos for our series @ the [url=https://www.youtube.com/user/comptf]comp.tf youtube channel[/url] and a couple fragmovies (which amounts to a few hundred hours) I feel pretty comfortable working with this kind of stuff.

I have collected and created a decent amount of resources I use regularly for recording and editing tf2 movies and I will be sharing these in this thread with you.

[b][size=16]Updated Custom VPKs:[/size][/b]
So the last update where valve changed audio files from .wav to .mp3 broke most of the custom .vpks I had running with lawena, so I went around and updated all of them to be compatible with that last update. Most of them are already existent vpks bundled with most recording tools (personally I use lawena), I did create the no_killstreak_sound.vpk to get rid of the annoying killstreak sounds but other than that I just converted the existing ones to be compatible with the update.

[size=16][b]Recording Configs:[/b][/size]
Now this is where it all started, back when I started the config that came originally with lawena was a bit buggy for me and I had lot's of issues running other people demos, so I modified the original chris max quality config a bit, created a few extra auxiliary configs and more importantly created a Full Config Lock, now this is particularly useful for people like me who edit (or view) tons of other people's demos, because when you run a POV demo, the demo generally executes the configs/cvars that were used on the source computer, so it can get pretty weird, ex: I had a demo that would change graphical options after changing class, another one that would disable and enable viewmodels every 2 secs (making them blink), every weird script and setting u can imagine I have seen it, these were VERY annoying when recording stuff, messing up entire recordings and even crashing the game a lot. So I went ahead and created a full config lock, what this does is lock a few hundred cvars so that these can't be changed after starting the game, even when running a demo.

Created a separate viewmodel lock config, for the demos I had weird issues with the viewmodel (this was the one I used to solve the script that was making the viewmodel blink every couple seconds on one particular demo) and a couple other auxiliary configs.

These are meant to be used with lawena so I am not responsible for any problems you might have with other recording tools. Also you can use them separately if you wish, just make sure you know your way around configs and basic cvars to understand what's going on in those.

[size=16][b]Vegas Settings:[/b][/size]
I included as well my rendering settings for Sony Vegas which is usually the software I use for editing.

[size=16][b]Encoding:[/b][/size]
First of all, this was one of my biggest headaches back when I was starting to edit, it was hard to figure an encoding solution with a decent balance between quality compression, and also encoding time. I started with H.264 and the results weren't satisfactory to me and also it was very buggy on my computer so after ducky's suggestion I changed to MeGui, now megui's a great tool and the results were great, but it had a couple of problems, first of all it's kinda like killing a fly with a shotgun, the software is not user friendly at all and u can mess up very easily, the second problem is that it took a huge time to encode, so performance wise it wasn't the best. I tried a couple more solutions until I eventually settled with Adobe Media Encoder, it's a great software, really user friendly and the results are not only great but very fast (ex: from 35-40 mins to 7-8 mins to encode the same video from megui to adobe media encoder), the filesize does increase a bit (from 70 to aprox. 105 mbs in the video I tested) but since I upgraded my internet this stopped being a problem (the only issue would be the time it took to upload to youtube).

Also if you wanna check the differences in the final result, back when I was testing this stuff I uploaded a few different ones to youtube, the differences are very minimal to the naked eye (mainly in the colors) and it certainly doesn't impact the quality of the final video. [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f02B229J-VM]Adobe test[/url], [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr707kQtpiQ]Megui 16 test[/url], [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b92xy07TS0E]Megui 18 test[/url]

Over time I created a few presets for this tool which I use regularly, these settings follow youtube's [url=https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en]official encoding guidelines[/url] so I think they should be pretty close to optimal performance on youtube.

[size=16][b]TF2 Sounds:[/b][/size]
I got these (from a source I don't remember) back when I started, but they've been really useful to me so I'm gonna include these in the pack. Basically it's a pack of clear and crisp tf2 sounds (ex: sniper headshot, rocket firing, scattergun reload sound, etc) which are really useful when editing.

[size=16][b]Where I find music:[/b][/size]
Last but not least I included my collection of sources where I get the music for my videos from, I've been collecting and curating these for almost a year now so it should make a pretty decent variety with good music and more importantly, helps not getting flagged for copyright.

[size=16][color=red][b]Full Pack Download:[/b][/color][/size]
Download the zipped package on Mega [url=https://mega.co.nz/#!dcgFCLYb!xqXKxVLcHixEi-5x0GloF5rWwsR5eDKfhF3RwEw80-A]here[/url].

I guess I can also make this thread a place where I share other stuff related to this or to answer any questions you might have related to recording and editing tf2 movies, so go ahead and shoot any questions you might have.
3 Frags +

Great work with the youtube channel

Great work with the youtube channel
2 Frags +

Updated the custom vpk pack with the nosoundscapes vpk posted by ondkaja here
Also updated the youtube channel list.

Updated the custom vpk pack with the nosoundscapes vpk posted by ondkaja [url=http://etf2l.org/forum/customise/topic-27511/]here[/url]
Also updated the youtube channel list.
0 Frags +

Updated the pack with extra music sources, removed a few inactive/closed ones, also added a couple of custom lawena resources and updated a couple cvars on my configs.

Updated the pack with extra music sources, removed a few inactive/closed ones, also added a couple of custom lawena resources and updated a couple cvars on my configs.
4 Frags +
KanecoI did create the no_killstreak_sound.vpk to get rid of the annoying killstreak sounds

cl_hud_killstreak_display_time "0" removes both the killstreak sound and the centered HUD message.

[quote=Kaneco]I did create the no_killstreak_sound.vpk to get rid of the annoying killstreak sounds[/quote]
cl_hud_killstreak_display_time "0" removes both the killstreak sound and the centered HUD message.
0 Frags +

Thanks for the music channel links, some really nice ones there :>

Thanks for the music channel links, some really nice ones there :>
0 Frags +
f_blueKanecoI did create the no_killstreak_sound.vpk to get rid of the annoying killstreak soundscl_hud_killstreak_display_time "0" removes both the killstreak sound and the centered HUD message.

Strange, I asked around on the forums a couple of times and no one could tell me how to disable it, is that a new cvar?Anyway, thanks a lot, wasn't aware it, guess that .vpk is kinda useless now. Will update the configs later with it.

[quote=f_blue][quote=Kaneco]I did create the no_killstreak_sound.vpk to get rid of the annoying killstreak sounds[/quote]
cl_hud_killstreak_display_time "0" removes both the killstreak sound and the centered HUD message.[/quote]
Strange, I asked around on the forums a couple of times and no one could tell me how to disable it, is that a new cvar?Anyway, thanks a lot, wasn't aware it, guess that .vpk is kinda useless now. Will update the configs later with it.
1 Frags +
Kanecowhen you run a POV demo, the demo generally executes the configs/cvars that were used on the source computer, so it can get pretty weird, ex: I had a demo that would change graphical options after changing class, another one that would disable and enable viewmodels every 2 secs (making them blink), every weird script and setting u can imagine I have seen it, these were VERY annoying when recording stuff, messing up entire recordings and even crashing the game a lot.

Maybe someone should start a PSA for people to set their demo_recordcommands to 0. I believe that when you do that the configs dont get recorded into the demo. Would be quite useful for editors and config writers so they dont have to include hundreds of lines of commands just to lock every cvar.

[quote=Kaneco]when you run a POV demo, the demo generally executes the configs/cvars that were used on the source computer, so it can get pretty weird, ex: I had a demo that would change graphical options after changing class, another one that would disable and enable viewmodels every 2 secs (making them blink), every weird script and setting u can imagine I have seen it, these were VERY annoying when recording stuff, messing up entire recordings and even crashing the game a lot.[/quote]
Maybe someone should start a PSA for people to set their demo_recordcommands to 0. I believe that when you do that the configs dont get recorded into the demo. Would be quite useful for editors and config writers so they dont have to include hundreds of lines of commands just to lock every cvar.
0 Frags +
AlmieKanecowhen you run a POV demo, the demo generally executes the configs/cvars that were used on the source computer, so it can get pretty weird, ex: I had a demo that would change graphical options after changing class, another one that would disable and enable viewmodels every 2 secs (making them blink), every weird script and setting u can imagine I have seen it, these were VERY annoying when recording stuff, messing up entire recordings and even crashing the game a lot.Maybe someone should start a PSA for people to set their demo_recordcommands to 0. I believe that when you do that the configs dont get recorded into the demo. Would be quite useful for editors and config writers so they dont have to include hundreds of lines of commands just to lock every cvar.

Wasn't aware of that cvar at all, honestly if it works as intended it should be mandatory in every major graphics config out there, saves so many headaches, but I think it's unreasonable to expect everyone will use it so a full config lock is still useful.

[quote=Almie][quote=Kaneco]when you run a POV demo, the demo generally executes the configs/cvars that were used on the source computer, so it can get pretty weird, ex: I had a demo that would change graphical options after changing class, another one that would disable and enable viewmodels every 2 secs (making them blink), every weird script and setting u can imagine I have seen it, these were VERY annoying when recording stuff, messing up entire recordings and even crashing the game a lot.[/quote]
Maybe someone should start a PSA for people to set their demo_recordcommands to 0. I believe that when you do that the configs dont get recorded into the demo. Would be quite useful for editors and config writers so they dont have to include hundreds of lines of commands just to lock every cvar.[/quote]
Wasn't aware of that cvar at all, honestly if it works as intended it should be mandatory in every major graphics config out there, saves so many headaches, but I think it's unreasonable to expect everyone will use it so a full config lock is still useful.
0 Frags +
KanecoAlmieKanecowhen you run a POV demo, the demo generally executes the configs/cvars that were used on the source computer, so it can get pretty weird, ex: I had a demo that would change graphical options after changing class, another one that would disable and enable viewmodels every 2 secs (making them blink), every weird script and setting u can imagine I have seen it, these were VERY annoying when recording stuff, messing up entire recordings and even crashing the game a lot.Maybe someone should start a PSA for people to set their demo_recordcommands to 0. I believe that when you do that the configs dont get recorded into the demo. Would be quite useful for editors and config writers so they dont have to include hundreds of lines of commands just to lock every cvar.Wasn't aware of that cvar at all, honestly if it works as intended it should be mandatory in every major graphics config out there, saves so many headaches, but I think it's unreasonable to expect everyone will use it so a full config lock is still useful.

If comanglia put it in a future version of his cfg so many people would end up with it, and as it has no effect on in-game performance I don't see why people would object to having it.

[quote=Kaneco][quote=Almie][quote=Kaneco]when you run a POV demo, the demo generally executes the configs/cvars that were used on the source computer, so it can get pretty weird, ex: I had a demo that would change graphical options after changing class, another one that would disable and enable viewmodels every 2 secs (making them blink), every weird script and setting u can imagine I have seen it, these were VERY annoying when recording stuff, messing up entire recordings and even crashing the game a lot.[/quote]
Maybe someone should start a PSA for people to set their demo_recordcommands to 0. I believe that when you do that the configs dont get recorded into the demo. Would be quite useful for editors and config writers so they dont have to include hundreds of lines of commands just to lock every cvar.[/quote]
Wasn't aware of that cvar at all, honestly if it works as intended it should be mandatory in every major graphics config out there, saves so many headaches, but I think it's unreasonable to expect everyone will use it so a full config lock is still useful.[/quote]

If comanglia put it in a future version of his cfg so many people would end up with it, and as it has no effect on in-game performance I don't see why people would object to having it.
0 Frags +

hey,

i was looking for an explosion sound but i did'nt find it in the sound folder. Can i found it anywhere else or can i record the sound on my own? Here is an example of extv using it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s0F2nAuA1M&list=PL0BE4B33CB87D8F02 at 1:42.

hey,

i was looking for an explosion sound but i did'nt find it in the sound folder. Can i found it anywhere else or can i record the sound on my own? Here is an example of extv using it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s0F2nAuA1M&list=PL0BE4B33CB87D8F02 at 1:42.
0 Frags +
M4gnushey,

The rocket firing sound is included in the pack in the tf2 sounds folder. As for explosion sounds I believe extv uses custom sounds.

[quote=M4gnus]hey,

i was looking for an explosion sound but i did'nt find it in the sound folder. Can i found it anywhere else or can i record the sound on my own? Here is an example of extv using it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s0F2nAuA1M&list=PL0BE4B33CB87D8F02 at 1:42.[/quote]
The rocket firing sound is included in the pack in the tf2 sounds folder. As for explosion sounds I believe extv uses custom sounds.
0 Frags +
KanecoM4gnushey,

and can i like record it my own? With sfm or something?

[quote=Kaneco][quote=M4gnus]hey,

i was looking for an explosion sound but i did'nt find it in the sound folder. Can i found it anywhere else or can i record the sound on my own? Here is an example of extv using it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s0F2nAuA1M&list=PL0BE4B33CB87D8F02 at 1:42.[/quote]
The rocket firing sound is included in the pack in the tf2 sounds folder. As for explosion sounds I believe extv uses custom sounds.[/quote] and can i like record it my own? With sfm or something?
0 Frags +
M4gnusKanecoM4gnushey,

Yes, the best way to record high quality tf2 sounds is with sfm, make sure you use a map with no soundscape, a perfect example would be a green screen map and then render the audio only (not sure if thats possible) but even rendering with the video would be easy to separate.

[quote=M4gnus][quote=Kaneco][quote=M4gnus]hey,

The rocket firing sound is included in the pack in the tf2 sounds folder. As for explosion sounds I believe extv uses custom sounds.[/quote] and can i like record it my own? With sfm or something?[/quote]
Yes, the best way to record high quality tf2 sounds is with sfm, make sure you use a map with no soundscape, a perfect example would be a [url=http://tf2.gamebanana.com/maps/161717]green screen map[/url] and then render the audio only (not sure if thats possible) but even rendering with the video would be easy to separate.
0 Frags +
KanecoM4gnusKanecoM4gnushey,

Yes, the best way to record high quality tf2 sounds is with sfm, make sure you use a map with no soundscape, a perfect example would be a green screen map and then render the audio only (not sure if thats possible) but even rendering with the video would be easy to separate.

ok thanks, i'll try that. When i was googling for an explosion i find this: https://maurits.tv/data/garrysmod/wiki/wiki.garrysmod.com/index82eb.html wich contains all of the sounds from tf2. But i don't know where i can find them on my pc. edit: i found the sounds in sfm.

[quote=Kaneco][quote=M4gnus][quote=Kaneco][quote=M4gnus]hey,

The rocket firing sound is included in the pack in the tf2 sounds folder. As for explosion sounds I believe extv uses custom sounds.[/quote] and can i like record it my own? With sfm or something?[/quote]
Yes, the best way to record high quality tf2 sounds is with sfm, make sure you use a map with no soundscape, a perfect example would be a [url=http://tf2.gamebanana.com/maps/161717]green screen map[/url] and then render the audio only (not sure if thats possible) but even rendering with the video would be easy to separate.[/quote] ok thanks, i'll try that. When i was googling for an explosion i find this: https://maurits.tv/data/garrysmod/wiki/wiki.garrysmod.com/index82eb.html wich contains all of the sounds from tf2. But i don't know where i can find them on my pc. edit: i found the sounds in sfm.
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.