Upvote Upvoted 24 Downvote Downvoted
Volunteer for the new and improved Battle Royale!
0 Frags +

http://evlgaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/br4-300x214.png

What is the summer battle royale?

The summer battle royale is a community tournament style event, geared to bring new players into the competitive scene, and with our next event also throw a fun event for competitive veterans. The event features some big prizes (we're not announcing those yet, but our last two years have been SSD's)

New Event Features

• 100% Highlander event, no more 4v4! (sorry 4v4)
  • Split divisions. A newbie division which will use a swiss bracket, increasing play time for new players and helping them gain experience, and a PRO division with a double elimination style bracket and huge prizes!
  • Pro division will bring their own teams, and manage their roster themselves
  • Newbie division will use an advanced team generator to create balanced teams, veteran players will not be allowed in the lower divs
  • Advanced player dashboard which shows upcoming matches, server connect info, and team roster information all in real time.
  • Tons of other stuff we're not announcing yet!

How to help

These events are entirely reliant on our community. We currently have a team of 16 staff working on everything from marketing, to server management and administration. Everyone is volunteering their time, including our directors. Nobody is making money off of this, and our last few events have been operated at a loss, with expenses being covered by the directors.We need your help with the continued development of these events, specifically we're looking now for marketing , webdev, and server staff.

Available Positions
All candidates will be interviewed via mumble. Most team meetings also occur in mumble so you must have a mic! Most of our staff put in 2-3 hours of work per week, with the development positions closer to 5-8 hours per week.

Marketing Lead
The marketing lead is responsible for leading the marketing team. This leader should have experience with marketing, and also be familiar with the TF2 community. Experience with leading a team is also a must for this position. The marketing team is responsible for all player correspondence and communication, advertising campaigns, and social media management.

Click here to apply for marketing lead

WebDev Lead
The WebDev team leader is in charge of the web development process which includes the front end websites (such as evlbr.com, spectator pages etc) and the player registration and dashboard areas. The leader should have some experience with PHP and coding development for modules and plugins for CMS systems such as vBulletin, IPBoard, and WordPress. The webdev lead is expected to assist with the development of modules, but also lead team meetings on a bi-weekly or monthly basis. You would be able to manage the team as you see fit, so long as the project is completed successfully.

Click here to apply for WebDev lead

Web Developer
Web developers are responsible for the creation of modules for various CMS systems used to manage the event. Modules will be created to facilitate team registration, automatic team creation for the newbie division, schedule management, and a player dashboard showing realtime information about the event to the players. Applicants must have a working knowledge of PHP and object oriented programming is a MUST. Experience with module creation for WordPress, vBulletin and IPBoard is highly recommended but not required. Applicants with frameworks such as php-mvc, Laravel, and Symfony is a plus.

Click here to apply for Web Developer

Server Technician
Server technicians manage the TF2 server infrastructure. Including the creation, and maintenance of a Ruby based application that dynamically creates TF2 servers when needed for matches. Experience configuring and running TF2 dedicated servers, specifically for competitive formats. Big plus for candidates that have Sourcemod and/or Ruby on Rails development knowledge.

Click here to apply for Server Technician

Battle Royale Perks!

Many of our staff are using the Battle Royale as a resume building tool to help further there experience for their future careers. Many of our staff are currently college students in the fields of computer science, computer information systems, marketing, medical, and business management.

Battle Royale staff are offered free services such as minecraft hosting, tf2 hosting, mumble hosting, VPS hosting, and website hosting provided by our sponsor [EVL Gaming, LLC](http://evlgaming.com) for free. We are happy to provide professional references, and letters of recommendation as well to our staff.

While at Battle Royale, our staff are exposed to project management tools such as Jira and Confluence, and other project management best practices which are invaluable for many different career fields. Since our events do not typically generate profit we cannot compensate our staff (as much as we'd like to).

Questions about volunteering?
Feel free to ask your question in this thread, or contact myself or yoshi51 directly.

[img]http://evlgaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/br4-300x214.png[/img]
[b][size=14]What is the summer battle royale?[/size][/b]

The summer battle royale is a community tournament style event, geared to bring new players into the competitive scene, and with our next event also throw a fun event for competitive veterans. The event features some big prizes (we're not announcing those yet, but our last two years have been SSD's)

[b]New Event Features[/b]
[list]
[*]100% Highlander event, no more 4v4! (sorry 4v4)
[*]Split divisions. A newbie division which will use a swiss bracket, increasing play time for new players and helping them gain experience, and a PRO division with a double elimination style bracket and huge prizes!
[*]Pro division will bring their own teams, and manage their roster themselves
[*]Newbie division will use an advanced team generator to create balanced teams, veteran players will not be allowed in the lower divs
[*]Advanced player dashboard which shows upcoming matches, server connect info, and team roster information all in real time.
[*]Tons of other stuff we're not announcing yet!
[/list]

[b]How to help[/b]

These events are entirely reliant on our community. We currently have a team of 16 staff working on everything from marketing, to server management and administration. Everyone is volunteering their time, including our directors. Nobody is making money off of this, and our last few events have been operated at a loss, with expenses being covered by the directors.We need your help with the continued development of these events, specifically we're looking now for marketing , webdev, and server staff.

[size=14][b]Available Positions[/b][/size]
All candidates will be interviewed via mumble. Most team meetings also occur in mumble so you must have a mic! Most of our staff put in 2-3 hours of work per week, with the development positions closer to 5-8 hours per week.

[b]Marketing Lead[/b]
The marketing lead is responsible for leading the marketing team. This leader should have experience with marketing, and also be familiar with the TF2 community. Experience with leading a team is also a must for this position. The marketing team is responsible for all player correspondence and communication, advertising campaigns, and social media management.

[url=http://forms.evlgaming.com/form.php?id=9]Click here to apply for marketing lead[/url]

[b]WebDev Lead[/b]
The WebDev team leader is in charge of the web development process which includes the front end websites (such as evlbr.com, spectator pages etc) and the player registration and dashboard areas. The leader should have some experience with PHP and coding development for modules and plugins for CMS systems such as vBulletin, IPBoard, and WordPress. The webdev lead is expected to assist with the development of modules, but also lead team meetings on a bi-weekly or monthly basis. You would be able to manage the team as you see fit, so long as the project is completed successfully.

[url=http://forms.evlgaming.com/form.php?id=7]Click here to apply for WebDev lead[/url]

[b]Web Developer[/b]
Web developers are responsible for the creation of modules for various CMS systems used to manage the event. Modules will be created to facilitate team registration, automatic team creation for the newbie division, schedule management, and a player dashboard showing realtime information about the event to the players. Applicants must have a working knowledge of PHP and object oriented programming is a MUST. Experience with module creation for WordPress, vBulletin and IPBoard is highly recommended but not required. Applicants with frameworks such as php-mvc, Laravel, and Symfony is a plus.

[url=http://forms.evlgaming.com/form.php?id=8]Click here to apply for Web Developer[/url]

[b]Server Technician[/b]
Server technicians manage the TF2 server infrastructure. Including the creation, and maintenance of a Ruby based application that dynamically creates TF2 servers when needed for matches. Experience configuring and running TF2 dedicated servers, specifically for competitive formats. Big plus for candidates that have Sourcemod and/or Ruby on Rails development knowledge.

[url=http://forms.evlgaming.com/form.php?id=6]Click here to apply for Server Technician[/url]

[b][size=14]Battle Royale Perks![/size][/b]

Many of our staff are using the Battle Royale as a resume building tool to help further there experience for their future careers. Many of our staff are currently college students in the fields of computer science, computer information systems, marketing, medical, and business management.

Battle Royale staff are offered free services such as minecraft hosting, tf2 hosting, mumble hosting, VPS hosting, and website hosting provided by our sponsor [EVL Gaming, LLC](http://evlgaming.com) for free. We are happy to provide professional references, and letters of recommendation as well to our staff.

While at Battle Royale, our staff are exposed to project management tools such as Jira and Confluence, and other project management best practices which are invaluable for many different career fields. Since our events do not typically generate profit we cannot compensate our staff (as much as we'd like to).

[b]Questions about volunteering?[/b]
Feel free to ask your question in this thread, or contact [url=https://teamfortress.tv/user/jeeringsole]myself[/url] or [url=https://teamfortress.tv/user/yoshi51]yoshi51[/url] directly.
-10 Frags +

Are you guys ready for even more amazing whitelists and great admin help regarding issues with teams?! We did GREAT with 4 people per team, so what problems could arise with 9 there!!!1! Please follow us, I swear we're serious.

Are you guys ready for even more amazing whitelists and great admin help regarding issues with teams?! We did GREAT with 4 people per team, so what problems could arise with 9 there!!!1! Please follow us, I swear we're serious.
9 Frags +

Sounds alot funner than what I assume UGC will be offering for HL.

lft

Sounds alot funner than what I assume UGC will be offering for HL.

lft
3 Frags +

Just want to be clear, we're not announcing all of our final plans yet for the players, but are just looking for staff. ;)

Just want to be clear, we're not announcing all of our final plans yet for the players, but are just looking for staff. ;)
3 Frags +
applesteakAre you guys ready for even more amazing whitelists and great admin help regarding issues with teams?! We did GREAT with 4 people per team, so what problems could arise with 9 there!!!1! Please follow us, I swear we're serious.

you certainly sound entitled for someone who is being given a free tournament...

also I would love to help, but I'm not really qualified, is there anything someone who falls into my camp can do to help the event?

[quote=applesteak]Are you guys ready for even more amazing whitelists and great admin help regarding issues with teams?! We did GREAT with 4 people per team, so what problems could arise with 9 there!!!1! Please follow us, I swear we're serious.[/quote]
you certainly sound entitled for someone who is being given a free tournament...

also I would love to help, but I'm not really qualified, is there anything someone who falls into my camp can do to help the event?
0 Frags +
aieraapplesteakAre you guys ready for even more amazing whitelists and great admin help regarding issues with teams?! We did GREAT with 4 people per team, so what problems could arise with 9 there!!!1! Please follow us, I swear we're serious.you certainly sound entitled for someone who is being given a free tournament...

The free part may not be so true anymore (our past two events were free). The biggest issue with our winter event was the no shows. We didn't have this problem last summer, and didn't really expect it for winter. Having SSD's as a prize wasn't really good enough motivation apparently.
That said we're maybe going to be charging 1 key for entry, or a couple bucks per person, that way players are invested in the event and we can actually spend money on getting better servers rather than relying on our directors to pony up for whatever we can find on budget.

Probably in the next 1-2 months we'll start to focus more on setting up rules / policies etc, which our playerOPS team develops. We may be looking for those type of folks in the next month or two.

[quote=aiera][quote=applesteak]Are you guys ready for even more amazing whitelists and great admin help regarding issues with teams?! We did GREAT with 4 people per team, so what problems could arise with 9 there!!!1! Please follow us, I swear we're serious.[/quote]

also I would love to help, but I'm not really qualified, is there anything someone who falls into my camp can do to help the event?[/quote]

The free part may not be so true anymore (our past two events were free). The biggest issue with our winter event was the no shows. We didn't have this problem last summer, and didn't really expect it for winter. Having SSD's as a prize wasn't really good enough motivation apparently.
That said we're maybe going to be charging 1 key for entry, or a couple bucks per person, that way players are invested in the event and we can actually spend money on getting better servers rather than relying on our directors to pony up for whatever we can find on budget.

Probably in the next 1-2 months we'll start to focus more on setting up rules / policies etc, which our playerOPS team develops. We may be looking for those type of folks in the next month or two.
3 Frags +

I don't necessarily fit into any of the categories listed above, but I used to do a lot of odd jobs for eXtv including TF2 server maintenance, community interaction, organizing casts (which was like wrangling cats), and occasional graphic design work. Though I don't have as much free time as I used to, but I can learn whatever needs doing.

If you need a sort of jack of all trades, even if that means twitch chat moderation, feel free to contact me.

I don't necessarily fit into any of the categories listed above, but I used to do a lot of odd jobs for eXtv including TF2 server maintenance, community interaction, organizing casts (which was like wrangling cats), and occasional graphic design work. Though I don't have as much free time as I used to, but I can learn whatever needs doing.

If you need a sort of jack of all trades, even if that means twitch chat moderation, feel free to contact me.
3 Frags +
jeeringsoleThe free part may not be so true anymore (our past two events were free). The biggest issue with our winter event was the no shows. We didn't have this problem last summer, and didn't really expect it for winter. Having SSD's as a prize wasn't really good enough motivation apparently.

I think the no-show problem was more of an issue with the target audience than a rules issue. 2 of the players originally assigned to my team in the last WBR (out of 5 total players including backups) had less than 200 hours in TF2. Both of them signed up through an ad on Reddit and then forgot about it. We had to get replacements for both of them because they had no interest in playing in the tourney anymore. Maybe it would be better to only do "reaching out" advertising on strictly tf2-related communities?

We were actually able to play all of our practice matches, but in the actual tournament we had more ffws than actual games played. My guess as to why the teams died is that most of the team leaders stopped caring about the tournament after they found out nobody else on their team knew or cared about it.

League fees might not be a great answer. Players new to competitive would be hesitant to pay league fees when, with no comp experience at all, they would be wary of getting rolled by teams just slightly under the experience limit for their bracket with no hope for returns. This happens even with much more established leagues; look at the shitshow ESEA has every season about not having enough teams paid before the deadline.

[quote=jeeringsole]The free part may not be so true anymore (our past two events were free). The biggest issue with our winter event was the no shows. We didn't have this problem last summer, and didn't really expect it for winter. Having SSD's as a prize wasn't really good enough motivation apparently.

Probably in the next 1-2 months we'll start to focus more on setting up rules / policies etc, which our playerOPS team develops. We may be looking for those type of folks in the next month or two.[/quote]

I think the no-show problem was more of an issue with the target audience than a rules issue. 2 of the players originally assigned to my team in the last WBR (out of 5 total players including backups) had less than 200 hours in TF2. Both of them signed up through an ad on Reddit and then forgot about it. We had to get replacements for both of them because they had no interest in playing in the tourney anymore. Maybe it would be better to only do "reaching out" advertising on strictly tf2-related communities?

We were actually able to play all of our practice matches, but in the actual tournament we had more ffws than actual games played. My guess as to why the teams died is that most of the team leaders stopped caring about the tournament after they found out nobody else on their team knew or cared about it.

League fees might not be a great answer. Players new to competitive would be hesitant to pay league fees when, with no comp experience at all, they would be wary of getting rolled by teams just slightly under the experience limit for their bracket with no hope for returns. This happens even with much more established leagues; look at the shitshow ESEA has every season about not having enough teams paid before the deadline.
0 Frags +

Thanks for the feedback Iso. I'm on the same page as you, high fees aren't the end-all answer to this. A couple of things we've gathered from the event that will change:

- Signups were way to early, too many people forgot about it. Newbie division will now only have 1-2 weeks to signup (pro div will have a bit longer, but not too much longer)
- Some (not all) of our ads hit general gaming subreddits, although most were pointed at /r/tf2 and /r/truetf2
- Practice matches were supposed to help us weed out the no-shows in advance, that didn't work at all
- FFW's caused people to lose track of their schedule. We're building a real time scheduling system that will show you in your timezone when you are expected to play, and will dynamically update if there is a bye or FFW
- Players were not invested in the event and didn't feel bad about not showing up

The fee's are going to be for the pro division, it won't be much <$5 each. These fees are necessary so we can get the badass prizes we want to give out to each player, and to get better servers. With all the recent shady activity with events as of recently (FTC etc) we very likely will publish our numbers from the event, and explicitly state where the money is going for transparency sake.The newb division will have some type of entrance fee, but more than likely a key, or a couple ref.

Thanks for the feedback Iso. I'm on the same page as you, high fees aren't the end-all answer to this. A couple of things we've gathered from the event that will change:

- Signups were way to early, too many people forgot about it. Newbie division will now only have 1-2 weeks to signup (pro div will have a bit longer, but not too much longer)
- Some (not all) of our ads hit general gaming subreddits, although most were pointed at /r/tf2 and /r/truetf2
- Practice matches were supposed to help us weed out the no-shows in advance, that didn't work at all
- FFW's caused people to lose track of their schedule. We're building a real time scheduling system that will show you in your timezone when you are expected to play, and will dynamically update if there is a bye or FFW
- Players were not invested in the event and didn't feel bad about not showing up

The fee's are going to be for the pro division, it won't be much <$5 each. These fees are necessary so we can get the badass prizes we want to give out to each player, and to get better servers. With all the recent shady activity with events as of recently (FTC etc) we very likely will publish our numbers from the event, and explicitly state where the money is going for transparency sake.The newb division will have some type of entrance fee, but more than likely a key, or a couple ref.
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.