Upvote Upvoted 12 Downvote Downvoted
Steam now has Limited Accounts
0 Frags +

Limited User Accounts

Note:

CD Keys, retail purchases, and gifts do not remove limited user restrictions. See How do I gain access to these features? below for more information.

Steam Support cannot remove this limited user status from your account.

Why can't I access certain Steam features?

We've chosen to limit access to these features as a means of protecting our customers from those who abuse Steam for purposes such as spamming and phishing. Read more...
How do I gain access to these features?

You will need to spend at least $5.00 USD within the Steam store.

Some examples of purchases that grant access to these features are:

- Adding the equivalent of $5 USD or more to your Steam Wallet
- Purchasing game(s) that are equal to $5 USD or more from the Steam store
- Adding a Steam Wallet card to your Steam account
- Purchasing a Steam gift from the Steam store (Receiving a Steam gift from a friend doesn't count)

Each Steam purchase total will be tracked in USD. If your Steam store's currency isn't in USD, it will be tracked and converted to USD automatically using daily exchange rates.

What features are unavailable to me?

Limited users are prevented from accessing several features on Steam, including but not limited to:

- Sending friend invites
- Opening group chat
- Voting on Greenlight, Steam Reviews and Workshop items
- Participating in the Steam Market
- Posting frequently in the Steam Discussions
- Gaining Steam Profile Levels and Trading Cards
- Submitting content on the Steam Workshop
- Posting in an item's Steam Workshop Discussions
- Accessing the Steam Web API
- Using browser and mobile chat

What will not grant me access to the above features?

The below actions will not remove limited user restrictions:

- Activating a retail game on Steam
- Playing free demos
- Adding a non-Steam game as a shortcut
- Adding/playing promotional trials like Free Weekends
- Free to Play games (Examples: Alien Swarm, free versions of Portal and Team Fortress 2)
- Activating promotional CD Keys from hardware or graphic card manufacturers

I received my game(s) as a gift, will I gain access to all features?

No, games that have been received as a gift or via Steam Trading are not eligible.

What if a purchase is refunded to my bank or my purchase is disputed/chargeback?

If a purchase amount is returned to your bank, the amount will be subtracted from your account's total purchase value. If the refund or dispute amount brings your account's total purchase value below $5 USD, then your account will lose access to these features.

For example, if you purchase a game for $5 USD, your account will gain access to these Community features. If you open a dispute with your bank, these funds will be returned to the bank and you will lose access to these features because Steam never received the funds.

What if a purchase is refunded to my Steam Wallet?

Refunds credited to your Steam Wallet, such as pre-order refunds, do not modify access to these Steam Community features.

What if my Steam store currency isn't in USD?

If the Steam store isn't in USD, we will track the purchase amount in USD by converting each purchase total made on Steam using daily exchange rates. Once you have made the equivalent of $5.00 USD or more in total Steam purchases, you will gain access to the restricted Steam features.

This seems like a decent solution to me, in a perfect world, the ability to add friends and join groups and so on wouldn't cost a dime, but as far as i can understand it's the best solution to the massive problem that Steam has had for a while. Hopefully no more Bots adding everyone to scam.

I have seen plenty of people in other forums argue that they don't use Steam for anything but the free to play games including Dota 2 and that they have close to 300-600 hours and now they have to spend money to add friends. The way i see it, if you have spent such amount of hours, you should be more than willing to spend 5 bucks. Even the most basic meal or coffee with a snack ends up costing that.

What are your thoughts ?

[b][url=https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3330-IAGK-7663]Limited User Accounts[/url][/b]

[quote]Note:

CD Keys, retail purchases, and gifts do not remove limited user restrictions. See How do I gain access to these features? below for more information.

Steam Support cannot remove this limited user status from your account.

[b]Why can't I access certain Steam features?[/b]

We've chosen to limit access to these features as a means of protecting our customers from those who abuse Steam for purposes such as spamming and phishing. Read more...
How do I gain access to these features?

You will need to spend at least $5.00 USD within the Steam store.

Some examples of purchases that grant access to these features are:

[b]-[/b] Adding the equivalent of $5 USD or more to your Steam Wallet
[b]-[/b] Purchasing game(s) that are equal to $5 USD or more from the Steam store
[b]-[/b] Adding a Steam Wallet card to your Steam account
[b]-[/b] Purchasing a Steam gift from the Steam store (Receiving a Steam gift from a friend doesn't count)

Each Steam purchase total will be tracked in USD. If your Steam store's currency isn't in USD, it will be tracked and converted to USD automatically using daily exchange rates.

[b]What features are unavailable to me?[/b]

Limited users are prevented from accessing several features on Steam, including but not limited to:

[b]-[/b] Sending friend invites
[b]-[/b] Opening group chat
[b]-[/b] Voting on Greenlight, Steam Reviews and Workshop items
[b]-[/b] Participating in the Steam Market
[b]-[/b] Posting frequently in the Steam Discussions
[b]-[/b] Gaining Steam Profile Levels and Trading Cards
[b]-[/b] Submitting content on the Steam Workshop
[b]-[/b] Posting in an item's Steam Workshop Discussions
[b]-[/b] Accessing the Steam Web API
[b]-[/b] Using browser and mobile chat

[b]What will not grant me access to the above features?[/b]

The below actions will not remove limited user restrictions:

[b]-[/b] Activating a retail game on Steam
[b]-[/b] Playing free demos
[b]-[/b] Adding a non-Steam game as a shortcut
[b]-[/b] Adding/playing promotional trials like Free Weekends
[b]-[/b] Free to Play games (Examples: Alien Swarm, free versions of Portal and Team Fortress 2)
[b]-[/b] Activating promotional CD Keys from hardware or graphic card manufacturers

[b]I received my game(s) as a gift, will I gain access to all features?[/b]

No, games that have been received as a gift or via Steam Trading are not eligible.

[b]What if a purchase is refunded to my bank or my purchase is disputed/chargeback?[/b]

If a purchase amount is returned to your bank, the amount will be subtracted from your account's total purchase value. If the refund or dispute amount brings your account's total purchase value below $5 USD, then your account will lose access to these features.

For example, if you purchase a game for $5 USD, your account will gain access to these Community features. If you open a dispute with your bank, these funds will be returned to the bank and you will lose access to these features because Steam never received the funds.

[b]What if a purchase is refunded to my Steam Wallet?[/b]

Refunds credited to your Steam Wallet, such as pre-order refunds, do not modify access to these Steam Community features.

[b]What if my Steam store currency isn't in USD?[/b]

If the Steam store isn't in USD, we will track the purchase amount in USD by converting each purchase total made on Steam using daily exchange rates. Once you have made the equivalent of $5.00 USD or more in total Steam purchases, you will gain access to the restricted Steam features.[/quote]

This seems like a decent solution to me, in a perfect world, the ability to add friends and join groups and so on wouldn't cost a dime, but as far as i can understand it's the best solution to the massive problem that Steam has had for a while. Hopefully no more Bots adding everyone to scam.

I have seen plenty of people in other forums argue that they don't use Steam for anything but the free to play games including Dota 2 and that they have close to 300-600 hours and now they have to spend money to add friends. The way i see it, if you have spent such amount of hours, you should be more than willing to spend 5 bucks. Even the most basic meal or coffee with a snack ends up costing that.

What are your thoughts ?
22 Frags +

I am kinda screwed by this and need to pay 5$ for every one of Saloon.tf's future bots. Not the first time I'm being hit by something like this though.

I am kinda screwed by this and need to pay 5$ for every one of Saloon.tf's future bots. Not the first time I'm being hit by something like this though.
4 Frags +

On one hand it's a decent solution for a massive problem that Steam has had for a long long time, but on the other hand, projects like Saloon.tf take a hit. ETF2L and other leagues might also have a problem as new players will struggle to add opponents/admins and so on.

I can't think of a different solution that Valve could had gone with though..

On one hand it's a decent solution for a massive problem that Steam has had for a long long time, but on the other hand, projects like Saloon.tf take a hit. ETF2L and other leagues might also have a problem as new players will struggle to add opponents/admins and so on.

1 Frags +

I think others can add people who don't have the features, they just can't add others.

For saloon.tf 2ould using trade offers work or does the bot have to be on the friends list to be able to send the offer/trade?

I think others can add people who don't have the features, they just can't add others.

For saloon.tf 2ould using trade offers work or does the bot have to be on the friends list to be able to send the offer/trade?
0 Frags +
VaskieOn one hand it's a decent solution for a massive problem that Steam has had for a long long time, but on the other hand, projects like Saloon.tf take a hit. ETF2L and other leagues might also have a problem as new players will struggle to add opponents/admins and so on.

I feel like they did the best that they could with the circumstances, maybe they could create a process that certain services could go through to have accounts for free

[quote=Vaskie]On one hand it's a decent solution for a massive problem that Steam has had for a long long time, but on the other hand, projects like Saloon.tf take a hit. ETF2L and other leagues might also have a problem as new players will struggle to add opponents/admins and so on.

I can't think of a different solution that Valve could had gone with though..[/quote]

I feel like they did the best that they could with the circumstances, maybe they could create a process that certain services could go through to have accounts for free
2 Frags +
VaskieOn one hand it's a decent solution for a massive problem that Steam has had for a long long time, but on the other hand, projects like Saloon.tf take a hit. ETF2L and other leagues might also have a problem as new players will struggle to add opponents/admins and so on.

I'd just throttle adding friends depending on the account's level. Seems like a much less extreme solution that doesn't affect normal users.

[quote=Vaskie]On one hand it's a decent solution for a massive problem that Steam has had for a long long time, but on the other hand, projects like Saloon.tf take a hit. ETF2L and other leagues might also have a problem as new players will struggle to add opponents/admins and so on.

I can't think of a different solution that Valve could had gone with though..[/quote]
I'd just throttle adding friends depending on the account's level. Seems like a much less extreme solution that doesn't affect normal users.
1 Frags +
MaxillawsI think others can add people who don't have the features, they just can't add others.

It needs access to the API which was also put behind a paywall. Previously any paid game was enough :/

[quote=Maxillaws]I think others can add people who don't have the features, they just can't add others.

For saloon.tf 2ould using trade offers work or does the bot have to be on the friends list to be able to send the offer/trade?[/quote]
It needs access to the API which was also put behind a paywall. Previously any paid game was enough :/
15 Frags +

I feel that at this point Valve has to take a look in the mirror and see what they have become. They have far too much in their plate. For a service that has millions of users, there is still no reliable Customer Service, if you ever have an issue, you send a support ticket and wait up to a month for a response that might not even be the desired one.

Valve has delved in to far too many projects, Steam Home Streaming, Steam Music, Steam Workshop. Unfortunately they don't seem ready as a company to take on the responsabilities of opening so many services. At this point Valve has become the number 1 service for gaming on PC, so people have expectations to similar services such as Google Play, iTunes and so on.

For example, EA as a company is pretty despicable but at least they have a 24 refund window for any game you buy, no matter how many hours you play, as long as you ask for the refund within the first 24 hours of buying it.

Edit: Let's not even talk that the above applies to TF2, Valve has gotten their hands so full, they don't even know what to do with TF2

I feel that at this point Valve has to take a look in the mirror and see what they have become. They have far too much in their plate. For a service that has millions of users, there is still no reliable Customer Service, if you ever have an issue, you send a support ticket and wait up to a month for a response that might not even be the desired one.

Valve has delved in to far too many projects, Steam Home Streaming, Steam Music, Steam Workshop. Unfortunately they don't seem ready as a company to take on the responsabilities of opening so many services. At this point Valve has become the number 1 service for gaming on PC, so people have expectations to similar services such as Google Play, iTunes and so on.

For example, EA as a company is pretty despicable but at least they have a 24 refund window for any game you buy, no matter how many hours you play, as long as you ask for the refund within the first 24 hours of buying it.

Edit: Let's not even talk that the above applies to TF2, Valve has gotten their hands so full, they don't even know what to do with TF2
3 Frags +
VaskieI feel that at this point Valve has to take a look in the mirror and see what they have become. They have far too much in their plate. For a service that has millions of users, there is still no reliable Customer Service, if you ever have an issue, you send a support ticket and wait up to a month for a response that might not even be the desired one.

It does sometimes feel that 200 people is not enough.

[quote=Vaskie]I feel that at this point Valve has to take a look in the mirror and see what they have become. They have far too much in their plate. For a service that has millions of users, there is still no reliable Customer Service, if you ever have an issue, you send a support ticket and wait up to a month for a response that might not even be the desired one.

Edit: Let's not even talk that the above applies to TF2, Valve has gotten their hands so full, they don't even know what to do with TF2[/quote]
It does sometimes feel that 200 people is not enough.
3 Frags +

They've had limited accounts before (my feeble memory seems to remember having restrictions on my own account back in 2011), but previously you could upgrade an account by gifting it any game, even if you got that game for 10 cents in a Steam sale.

Obviously this is a win-win for Valve, as they will get more funds from each account made now and combat the bot menace in one fell sweep, but legitimate bot makers will certainly be harmed with the costs of starting and expanding a service several times higher.

They've had limited accounts before (my feeble memory seems to remember having restrictions on my own account back in 2011), but previously you could upgrade an account by gifting it any game, even if you got that game for 10 cents in a Steam sale.

Obviously this is a win-win for Valve, as they will get more funds from each account made now and combat the bot menace in one fell sweep, but legitimate bot makers will certainly be harmed with the costs of starting and expanding a service several times higher.
9 Frags +

http://i.imgur.com/kpG958c.png

GG VALVE

[url=http://i.imgur.com/kpG958c.png][img]http://i.imgur.com/kpG958c.png[/img][/url]
GG VALVE
10 Frags +

its to prevent scamming and phishing, its smart, obv there are downsides to gambling websites but i dont think valve gives a fuck about gambling websites.

its to prevent scamming and phishing, its smart, obv there are downsides to gambling websites but i dont think valve gives a fuck about gambling websites.
12 Frags +

cherry you could maybe try contacting valve. they might be able to help you out. pretty shitty that you're getting fucked over right when things got rolling with your site.

cherry you could maybe try contacting valve. they might be able to help you out. pretty shitty that you're getting fucked over right when things got rolling with your site.
-3 Frags +

This is a problem to anyone attempting to make a system of bots (Scrap.tf, saloon, etc. ) but then again you can simply buy a ¢16 gift card to fix this issue.....until valve make it so that you pay [X] amount of money. $_$

This is a problem to anyone attempting to make a system of bots (Scrap.tf, saloon, etc. ) but then again you can simply buy a ¢16 gift card to fix this issue.....until valve make it so that you pay [X] amount of money. $_$
8 Frags +
EoNThis is a problem to anyone attempting to make a system of bots (Scrap.tf, saloon, etc. ) but then again you can simply buy a ¢16 gift card to fix this issue.....until valve make it so that you pay [X] amount of money. $_$

That's exactly what they did, you must spend $5

[quote=EoN]This is a problem to anyone attempting to make a system of bots (Scrap.tf, saloon, etc. ) but then again you can simply buy a ¢16 gift card to fix this issue.....until valve make it so that you pay [X] amount of money. $_$[/quote]
That's exactly what they did, you must spend $5
0 Frags +

This is a good thing. Yes, there will be collateral damage like Saloon.tf and scrap bots, but you have to realize that it's costing spammers a lot more money than anyone else, and that's what really matters.

This is a good thing. Yes, there will be collateral damage like Saloon.tf and scrap bots, but you have to realize that it's costing spammers a lot more money than anyone else, and that's what really matters.
20 Frags +

If I was a game dev I would put my game on sale for exactly $5.00 usd right now.

ez money

If I was a game dev I would put my game on sale for exactly $5.00 usd right now.

ez money
2 Frags +

luckily I dont have to deal with all the fucking phisher bot adds now

luckily I dont have to deal with all the fucking phisher bot adds now
0 Frags +

I don't understand why retail games wouldn't be allowed for it, someone still payed for it, should he still not be able to use Steam fully even if he payed those 5 or more USD?

I don't understand why retail games wouldn't be allowed for it, someone still payed for it, should he still not be able to use Steam fully even if he payed those 5 or more USD?
0 Frags +

Maybe I missed something, but does this apply to new accounts only, or is my account, that I've spent tons of in the past, limited until I spend at least $5 again?

Maybe I missed something, but does this apply to new accounts only, or is my account, that I've spent tons of in the past, limited until I spend at least $5 again?
0 Frags +

Are you able to add people kirby?

You should be good though as long as you have spend $5 in the past I believe

Are you able to add people kirby?

You should be good though as long as you have spend $5 in the past I believe
0 Frags +

I can't add anyone and I spent like $80 bucks in steam wtf.

I can't add anyone and I spent like $80 bucks in steam wtf.
0 Frags +
CHERRYEoNThis is a problem to anyone attempting to make a system of bots (Scrap.tf, saloon, etc. ) but then again you can simply buy a ¢16 gift card to fix this issue.....until valve make it so that you pay [X] amount of money. $_$That's exactly what they did, you must spend $5

Valve are making enough money on hats :c

[quote=CHERRY][quote=EoN]This is a problem to anyone attempting to make a system of bots (Scrap.tf, saloon, etc. ) but then again you can simply buy a ¢16 gift card to fix this issue.....until valve make it so that you pay [X] amount of money. $_$[/quote]
That's exactly what they did, you must spend $5[/quote]
Valve are making enough money on hats :c
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.