Upvote Upvoted 121 Downvote Downvoted
Behind the Scenes: TF2 Production
posted in News
tsc
April 27, 2015

One of the most critical parts of a competitive scene’s existence is its production - the process of taking a game and creating an immersive experience for viewers that allows them to share in its excitement. Game productions are the main way that currently interested people enjoy the game and newly interested people are encouraged to follow, and TF2 is no exception.

The Basics

At its core, a production is composed of the game itself and then the many additions made to the game in order to suitably display it to viewers. In most productions (especially for online events), the team accomplishing this includes a cameraman and one or more casters. Smaller teams may have both of these functions performed by one person, while larger productions usually have a play-by-play commentator who describes the action, a color commentator who provides valuable insights into the game, and a separate cameraman who focuses on picking the best players and areas to display. Getawhale, one of the more prevalent play-by-play commentators of the scene, described his role as follows:

My experience doing a cast typically involves preparation, which involves looking at the teams and players that will be playing and taking down notes for while I cast. I show up, I talk to whoever my co-caster is (sometimes do a specific plan, sometimes more casual), and then we [commentate]. I stay in contact with my camera person or production person throughout the cast and keep chat open so I’m able to take in information while I talk.

In addition to these people directly involved with the game, major organizations like TeamFortress.TV employ a vast support staff behind-the-scenes. This support staff includes producers, who incorporate various graphics and other elements into a production; schedulers, who organize casts based on the availability of cameramen and casters; graphics designers, who create a streamlined and consistent interface to the stream; developers, who create and maintain programs used in production; and promotion staff, who raise awareness of the various events being covered by social media, articles, videos, and other similar efforts. In a typical online production, as many as 20 people may be directly involved with making it happen in the different stages of the process.

Hacking the Game (Literally)

StatusSpec

One of the main problems with producing TF2 content is the limitations of the game itself, which include “a bad HUD, SourceTV bugs, and none of the features that are in CS:GO or Dota,” as put by developer Matt “bluee” McNamara. The natural solution for this problem has been the use of extensive modification of the game via client plugins.

While plugins have been present throughout TF2’s existence, such as the omnipresent P-REC by Orange, the controversial OpenPlugin by Casual, and even the production-oriented Spectate Helper by Miek, bluee’s AdvSpec was the first major spectator-oriented plugin, augmenting the game HUD significantly with features like player outlines (allowing every player in the game to be seen via a team-colored glow through walls) and a medigun info panel (showing the status of each team’s medigun and ubercharge). His work was later incorporated into and extended via projects like Spec Tools (developed by Gentleman Jon) and StatusSpec (developed by Forward Command Post). In addition, specially configured servers (most commonly found in European games) can provide a live feed of major game events (via plugins developed by Arie).

These extensions have allowed the game to be stretched far beyond its limits for the purposes of spectating. In more recent productions, many different features from minor fixes for problems like HUD freezes due to the game’s buggy pause system to major additions like in-game mods have all been incorporated. Even more major changes are currently being tested in production, such as smooth camera transitions between players and remote camera control. The latter feature is in itself a major advancement for production, according to producer Alex “dashner” Pylyshyn:

There is a trend that is starting to pick up pace in terms of separating camera men and producers. We had a lot of good technology that simply never got used because most of our camera men were only capable of camming; anything else kind of overwhelmed them and distracted them from their job… now that we've found out how to separate camera and producer, our productions have improved substantially.

A Revolution in Live Graphics

NodeCG

Another huge leap for TF2 production came in the form of live graphics. Traditionally, broadcasts have relied on major systems such as CasparCG or more on-the-fly solutions like manually editing graphics via Photoshop during the production itself. In an attempt to create a simpler system for usage in productions by VanillaTV, one of the major broadcasting organizations at the time, atmo created the VTV overlay system, which utilized Web technologies to display and manipulate graphics controlled by a separate dashboard. This system would be later adapted for usage by TeamFortress.TV and by Tip of the Hats (an annual fundraising livestream event).

bluee (who had worked on some of the graphics for TeamFortress.TV) approached Alex “Lange” Van Camp (who worked on the Tip of the Hats system) with the idea of creating a generalized framework out of the separate overlay systems, which would allow for live graphics to be easily created by Web technologies as compared to Flash (required for CasparCG). Thus, the project NodeCG was born, and has grown in usage not only in TF2 productions but in many other contexts, like the major Twitch stream Dan’s Gaming.

NodeCG has become a crucial component in productions for many reasons, most significantly simple integration with Open Broadcaster Software, the streaming application used by the vast majority of TF2 streamers. In addition, the relative ease of creating graphics has allowed live graphics to be easily adapted to the changing requirements of production. Many different NodeCG bundles are used by TeamFortress.TV today, including various types of alerts, an updated port of the original match overlay, a social media display, a scoreboard bug, a transition helper, a “now playing” overlay, and a credits roll.

Creating a Storyline

ESEA Season 18 LAN final intro

A good production cannot only focus on the game itself, but also must show the background behind the game which makes the game important. Such is the role of promotional materials like trailers and posters for major events. As explained by Ness “uberchain” Delacroix, the designer leading such efforts:

With a “feel” or a flavour, people get a good taste about what’s to come - and you gotta be sure that what they see, what they taste in that instance is what’s going to get them to stop by and see what it is they just tasted. When you’re generating hype for an event, you always want to make sure it leaves people wanting to see more, mostly for who you’re making it for but also enough that people wonder what’s going down so they check it out.

The most significant graphic additions have been Project UniREform, which created in-game uniforms to denote top teams for major events, and event marker videos, such as the outro to theGXL Universe 2014 and the intro to the ESEA Season 18 LAN finals. These additional components to productions have earned general acclaim by the community, helping to enrich the connection between the games and the scene as a whole.

In addition to promotional materials, recent coverage of major LAN events has aimed to expand on-site coverage in order to help viewers connect with the environment and participants of a LAN. TeamFortress.TV admin Jay “mana” Kim, who helped organize on-site coverage for the recent ESEA Season 18 LAN, shared his thoughts on the importance of such coverage:

In terms of quality, a presence from the LAN is incredibly important; it adds an enormous background and foreground to how attractive the stream is, as well as building hype of the event (in my opinion, i52, and the CSGO ESL majors prove the strength of presenting the LAN in person on stream).

The Future

It is clear that TF2 productions have grown significantly since their inception. However, there is still significant room to grow, with productions still lacking in several areas.

One of the biggest issues is in the nature of TF2 productions as volunteer efforts. For most people involved, TF2 production is at best a hobby requiring significant time investment. Describing the situation, dashner noted:

ESEA LAN was me, [sound producer] airon, and uberchain all sacrificing a lot of time for free to make [the stream] happen. I was paid [by ESEA] but only for the active streaming work I did on the weekend… I’m not sure where we’ll be in a year. It’s scary to think about - at some point everyone who volunteers their time will move on. I was fortunately there to fill the void that Lange’s departure left, but once I go I have no clue who will take over.

Such a problem is of major importance, but production organizations like TeamFortress.TV have been able to recover from major figures stepping down, with others (both old and new) filling the roles that they vacate. As part of this cycle, TeamFortress.TV recently began an aggressive effort to recruit staff to continue the evolution of its live graphics and spectator plugins, and also to find new and better ways to enhance the promotion of the game.

In any case, it’s clear: with the top level of the scene becoming even more competitive, it’s an exciting time to be a producer and a viewer.

mana summarizes the situation best:

There’s a lot to a streamed cast than it may seem on the surface. Streams have come an incredibly long way thanks to huge efforts of everyone involved in streaming technologies. The right pickups on TeamFortressTV have created a formidable potency of backend code and assets that literally has done things we would’ve never imagined before. Experience has culminated to handle what we’ve made into enhancing the stream. [The recent ESEA Season 18 LAN] has been, by far, the best production we’ve done, integrating not only an improved stream, but also on site video and photos, which is unprecedented. I’m very proud of the production team and its accomplishments; to hear that we rival some major streams in quality is a testament to the incredible collaborative power that the team has.

credits to Austen “tagg” Wade, for the featured image; Alex “dashner” Pylyshyn, for the production screenshots in the article body; everyone interviewed for the article, for their detailed responses which helped to set the tone of this article; TeamFortress.TV, for allowing me to publish this article on their front page; the entire competitive scene, for supporting us in our efforts to cover it; and the entire production staff, for being tireless in raising the bar for game productions everywhere

original article posted on Forward Command Post

38 Frags +

you guys are seriously legends. I don't have the qualifications to help, but thank you for everything you've put into every cast :)

you guys are seriously legends. I don't have the qualifications to help, but thank you for everything you've put into every cast :)
newbie.tf
35 Frags +

Yeah, some of the stuff you guys do doesn't make any sense from an outside perspective.

The fact that the TF2 lan's coverage was just as good- if not better than- the CS coverage (which peaked at 6 figure view counts) just proves how absolutely world class the TF2 dudes working behind the scenes are. Roster rundowns, stat comparisons, youtube/twitter integration, a 90 second delay camera source at the event itself, instant replays, separate producer/ in-game camerawork, etc, etc, etc.

We as a community are absolutely SPOILED by the amazing coverage we get, and I love that this article gives everyone that deserves it a bit of credit. :)

Yeah, some of the stuff you guys do doesn't make any sense from an outside perspective.

The fact that the TF2 lan's coverage was just as good- if not better than- the CS coverage (which peaked at 6 figure view counts) just proves how absolutely world class the TF2 dudes working behind the scenes are. Roster rundowns, stat comparisons, youtube/twitter integration, a 90 second delay camera source at the event itself, instant replays, separate producer/ in-game camerawork, etc, etc, etc.

We as a community are absolutely SPOILED by the amazing coverage we get, and I love that this article gives everyone that deserves it a bit of credit. :)
17 Frags +

Very interesting read. I am always super impressed when I hear about all the behind the scenes work that people do for TF2 production that makes it so excellent

Very interesting read. I am always super impressed when I hear about all the behind the scenes work that people do for TF2 production that makes it so excellent
18 Frags +

This article is so good it literally drove Getawhale insane.

This article is so good it literally drove Getawhale insane.
6 Frags +

man i never woulda thought this was the amount of work put into these

man i never woulda thought this was the amount of work put into these
3 Frags +

It's nice that you guys provide this amount of detail that you use in your productions. Simply intrigued by the live graphics aspect which is weird because I have an audio major. Regardless, for how small the production team is I can say that your quality of production is right up there with the upper tier productions. You guys make the best of what you have and come together to create something new and to use, now that is a community.

Also Lange, I'll buy you a pack of Spotted Cow for all that hard work, hell I'd buy everyone Spotted Cows for all this.

It's nice that you guys provide this amount of detail that you use in your productions. Simply intrigued by the live graphics aspect which is weird because I have an audio major. Regardless, for how small the production team is I can say that your quality of production is right up there with the upper tier productions. You guys make the best of what you have and come together to create something new and to use, now that is a community.

Also Lange, I'll buy you a pack of Spotted Cow for all that hard work, hell I'd buy everyone Spotted Cows for all this.
10 Frags +

I forgot to include credits... they've been added now.

Thanks again to everyone. Originally I had just planned on posting a small summary on my website and leaving it at that, but dashner encouraged me to create a full-length article and post it on TFTV.

Writing this article was definitely fun and eye-opening, and I'd love to do it again, so if you have other behind-the-scenes stuff that you'd like to see, let me know!

I forgot to include credits... they've been added now.

Thanks again to everyone. Originally I had just planned on posting a small summary on my website and leaving it at that, but dashner encouraged me to create a full-length article and post it on TFTV.

Writing this article was definitely fun and eye-opening, and I'd love to do it again, so if you have other behind-the-scenes stuff that you'd like to see, let me know!
4 Frags +

Every time I see one of these articles, I'm inspired to help. However, I see all the amazing things the volunteers do and then realize that I'm just some guy that is passionate for a video game without the skills to contribute. So I salute and thank all of those people that dedicate their time into a free game all because they enjoy playing it. Love you all!

Every time I see one of these articles, I'm inspired to help. However, I see all the amazing things the volunteers do and then realize that I'm just some guy that is passionate for a video game without the skills to contribute. So I salute and thank all of those people that dedicate their time into a free game all because they enjoy playing it. Love you all!
3 Frags +

This makes me want to cast even more so I can be part of this amazing team.

Great writing as always, tsc.

This makes me want to cast even more so I can be part of this amazing team.

Great writing as always, tsc.
3 Frags +

Damn, you is fine. As people above have stated, I have no actual experience with any of the amazing skills you people have, but if there's any type of support you need from the community, just shout it out and we'll be there. I try to hype your casts as much as possible among people I know, thank you for all you do.

Damn, you is fine. As people above have stated, I have no actual experience with any of the amazing skills you people have, but if there's any type of support you need from the community, just shout it out and we'll be there. I try to hype your casts as much as possible among people I know, thank you for all you do.
5 Frags +

Without the production quality that we have, comp tf2 might not exist

Quality work friends.

Without the production quality that we have, comp tf2 might not exist

Quality work friends.
2 Frags +

It's amazing how much work a you guys put into this, thanks. :D

It's amazing how much work a you guys put into this, thanks. :D
0 Frags +

Thanks for bringing to light the kind of work we do, tsc! Fantastic writeup.

Thanks for bringing to light the kind of work we do, tsc! Fantastic writeup.
2 Frags +

Very cool! You guys are awesome and make watching tf.tv casts so much fun! :D

Very cool! You guys are awesome and make watching tf.tv casts so much fun! :D
18 Frags +

seeing this makes me more upset that the efforts of these people aren't more wildly recognised in tf2, the effort and dedication is incredible, thank you.

seeing this makes me more upset that the efforts of these people aren't more wildly recognised in tf2, the effort and dedication is incredible, thank you.
5 Frags +

We love you

We love you
22 Frags +

Yeah that's cool and all, but how many awards you got, production nerds? ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Yeah that's cool and all, but how many awards you got, production nerds? ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮
18 Frags +
AdmirableYeah that's cool and all, but how many awards you got, production nerds? ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

The soundboard of your voice that you're being replaced with will win all future casting awards.

[quote=Admirable]Yeah that's cool and all, but how many awards you got, production nerds? ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮[/quote]
The soundboard of your voice that you're being replaced with will win all future casting awards.
3 Frags +
GentlemanJonAdmirableYeah that's cool and all, but how many awards you got, production nerds? ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮The soundboard of your voice that you're being replaced with will win all future casting awards.

HIS NAME WAS ADMIRABLE

[quote=GentlemanJon][quote=Admirable]Yeah that's cool and all, but how many awards you got, production nerds? ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮[/quote]
The soundboard of your voice that you're being replaced with will win all future casting awards.[/quote]

HIS NAME WAS ADMIRABLE
3 Frags +

If only we had such good coverage and production in Brazil.

If only we had such good coverage and production in Brazil.
18 Frags +
AdmirableYeah that's cool and all, but how many awards you got, production nerds? ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

http://i.imgur.com/CMFYYGq.png

[quote=Admirable]Yeah that's cool and all, but how many awards you got, production nerds? ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮[/quote]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/CMFYYGq.png[/img]
3 Frags +

The gold "You Tried" Star of etf2l.

The gold "You Tried" Star of etf2l.
1 Frags +

Mad props to all the people who work super hard behind the scenes. Producing and managing shows live is probably one of the hardest and most stressful things that can be done, and you guys do a stellar job.

Mad props to all the people who work super hard behind the scenes. Producing and managing shows live is probably one of the hardest and most stressful things that can be done, and you guys do a stellar job.
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.