Upvote Upvoted 3 Downvote Downvoted
Signs of a dying router, or a bad ISP?
posted in Off Topic
0 Frags +

I'm having some internet issues that I think could be the results of a dying router, but I don't know enough about the subject to say for sure so I am turning to the tf.tv knowledge base for some help as many do.

My problems?
I currently experience 130-180 avg. ping (across the US) between 8:00 pm CST - 10:30 pm CST. More peculiarly, although, is that while that is the high-traffic hours for my ISP, my ping only seems to spike this high during times that I find myself scrimming/playing games during that time. Also, several months ago when I was playing CSGO my ping to the East and West coast servers Valve uses used to be ~75ms avg., and then it shot up to ~160 avg. and it's stayed that way since.

Worth noting that almost any other time of day, I find myself w/ good ping.

I used to have great ping during this time in the past/across the US (now running towards almost a year ago), but the problem has steadily grown worse and is worsening at times of up to 220ms over the past few weeks. This router's been going for almost 5 years, to anybody wondering. I'm not using wireless either, just setup w/ a router so that both of the PCs in the house can get internet. If it's of any assistance to problem solving, I've done some tracert tests before, and it seems like it's the hop outside of my ISP's domain that screws the pooch ping wise (eg, 30ms from my router to ISP servers, then ISP routing to wherever and suddenly terrible ping if that makes sense).

I've called my ISP 3 times after having done tracert commands while the problem was present, and there was never an effort to fix any problems- honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they had no idea what the hell I was talking about, although. So, all of this said, any suggestions/further information needed for a better analysis? The problem's starting to get pretty out of hand, and any help would be appreciated.

Show Content
Apologies about the 'word salad', but it's sleepy time now.
I'm having some internet issues that I think could be the results of a dying router, but I don't know enough about the subject to say for sure so I am turning to the tf.tv knowledge base for some help as many do.

My problems?
I currently experience 130-180 avg. ping (across the US) between 8:00 pm CST - 10:30 pm CST. More peculiarly, although, is that while that is the high-traffic hours for my ISP, my ping only seems to spike this high during times that I find myself scrimming/playing games during that time. Also, several months ago when I was playing CSGO my ping to the East and West coast servers Valve uses used to be ~75ms avg., and then it shot up to ~160 avg. and it's stayed that way since.

Worth noting that almost any other time of day, I find myself w/ good ping.

I used to have great ping during this time in the past/across the US (now running towards almost a year ago), but the problem has steadily grown worse and is worsening at times of up to 220ms over the past few weeks. This router's been going for almost 5 years, to anybody wondering. I'm not using wireless either, just setup w/ a router so that both of the PCs in the house can get internet. If it's of any assistance to problem solving, I've done some tracert tests before, and it seems like it's the hop outside of my ISP's domain that screws the pooch ping wise (eg, 30ms from my router to ISP servers, then ISP routing to wherever and suddenly terrible ping if that makes sense).

I've called my ISP 3 times after having done tracert commands while the problem was present, and there was never an effort to fix any problems- honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they had no idea what the hell I was talking about, although. So, all of this said, any suggestions/further information needed for a better analysis? The problem's starting to get pretty out of hand, and any help would be appreciated.

[spoiler] Apologies about the 'word salad', but it's sleepy time now. [/spoiler]
4 Frags +

Bad ISP.
Routing tables usually don't get shifted very often for residential routers, since they're really only responsible for the steps to your headend.
Does your download-upload change during this time as well?

Bad ISP.
Routing tables usually don't get shifted very often for residential routers, since they're really only responsible for the steps to your headend.
1 Frags +
DrPloxoBad ISP.

I haven't specifically paid attention to my download-upload rates during the period of time while this happens; I don't know how to other than using a pingtest site which provides ideal ping results (eg, 45ms Chicago via ping test at time of problem), but paradoxically - to me, at least - not my in-game results (eg, 130ms Chicago via in-game at time of problem) thus there may be a correlation for unreliable results from those sites? Any suggestions for testing download-upload outside of those sites would be helpful. If it means anything, my download-upload speeds have steadily declined over time although my ISP claims to have upped their speeds in notices multiple times. I used the aforementioned pingtest sites to measure down-up, however I don't recall using them during the problem times.

[quote=DrPloxo]Bad ISP.
Does your download-upload change during this time as well?[/quote]

I haven't specifically paid attention to my download-upload rates during the period of time while this happens; I don't know how to other than using a pingtest site which provides ideal ping results (eg, 45ms Chicago via ping test at time of problem), but paradoxically - to me, at least - not my in-game results (eg, 130ms Chicago via in-game at time of problem) thus there may be a correlation for unreliable results from those sites? Any suggestions for testing download-upload outside of those sites would be helpful. If it means anything, my download-upload speeds have steadily declined over time although my ISP claims to have upped their speeds in notices multiple times. I used the aforementioned pingtest sites to measure down-up, however I don't recall using them during the problem times.
4 Frags +

Is the modem warm to the touch?

Try positioning a desk fan to point at the modem/router to see if it performs better.

If it's already 5 years old you are probably best off replacing it.

Is the modem warm to the touch?

Try positioning a desk fan to point at the modem/router to see if it performs better.

0 Frags +
TechDudeIs the modem warm to the touch?

The modem and router are almost always cool to the touch, thanks though. Any suggestions for a router that's good for handling multiple connections (two computers - constant, a few phones now-and-again, and a few other devices rarely) without tanking?

[quote=TechDude]Is the modem warm to the touch?
If it's already 5 years old you are probably best off replacing it.[/quote]
The modem and router are almost always cool to the touch, thanks though. Any suggestions for a router that's good for handling multiple connections (two computers - constant, a few phones now-and-again, and a few other devices rarely) without tanking?
0 Frags +

Depends on speeds, if you're upgrading from 5 year old hardware anything you get should be better.

Depends on speeds, if you're upgrading from 5 year old hardware anything you get should be better.
0 Frags +
TechDudeDepends on speeds, if you're upgrading from 5 year old hardware anything you get should be better.

rip WRT54G

[quote=TechDude]Depends on speeds, if you're upgrading from 5 year old hardware anything you get should be better.[/quote]
rip WRT54G
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.