Upvote Upvoted 42 Downvote Downvoted
Valve has removed paid mods
posted in Off Topic
0 Frags +

Not sure where this goes, but I'll post it here.
Valve has decided to remove paid mods from the Steam Workshop following huge community pushback and LOTS of controversy.

Not sure where this goes, but I'll post it here.
[url=https://steamcommunity.com/games/SteamWorkshop#announcements/detail/208632365253244218]Valve has decided to remove paid mods from the Steam Workshop following huge community pushback and LOTS of controversy.[/url]
27 Frags +

thank god

thank god
5 Frags +

hahaha

hahaha
4 Frags +

every time valve is late with a product/feature they pull the "we want to refine the design to the fullest before shipping"

every time they rush a product/feature and it turns out bad they pull the "we like to put out features like this to test the waters before going all in"

thankfully they usually have the integrity to respect community opinion and their features are usually pretty good, but it really sucks seeing the community suck on their dicks so much for what amounts to good PR

every time valve is late with a product/feature they pull the "we want to refine the design to the fullest before shipping"

every time they rush a product/feature and it turns out bad they pull the "we like to put out features like this to test the waters before going all in"

thankfully they usually have the integrity to respect community opinion and their features are usually pretty good, but it really sucks seeing the community suck on their dicks so much for what amounts to good PR
3 Frags +

Did Valve not realize there would be a backlash? How?

Did Valve not realize there would be a backlash? How?
4 Frags +

5 Frags +
MapleDid Valve not realize there would be a backlash? How?

of course they knew, just not that big of a backlash

[quote=Maple]Did Valve not realize there would be a backlash? How?[/quote]
of course they knew, just not that big of a backlash
15 Frags +

valve doesnt ask for permission
they ask for forgiveness

valve doesnt ask for permission
they ask for forgiveness
0 Frags +

rofl.

rofl.
0 Frags +

who thought this could be a good idea?

who thought this could be a good idea?
-3 Frags +

I am still honesly surprised about the fact that a big company like Valve tried to implement something new and risky in the first place. Props to that.

I am still honesly surprised about the fact that a big company like Valve tried to implement something new and risky in the first place. Props to that.
-3 Frags +

It's amazing because no other game giant would have the balls to publicly revert something like this.

It's amazing because no other game giant would have the balls to publicly revert something like this.
10 Frags +

New & Risky =/= good

it was a dumb move, a lot like the old sticky nerf, if we yell enough they will revert it. Valve cares about their image > more than anything. Still glad they got rid of it.

New & Risky =/= good

it was a dumb move, a lot like the old sticky nerf, if we yell enough they will revert it. Valve cares about their image > more than anything. Still glad they got rid of it.
0 Frags +

According to the announcement (it has a section titled "Why we thought this was a good idea" lol) Valve wanted to make it so that modding could be a full time job. Huh.

According to the announcement (it has a section titled "Why we thought this was a good idea" lol) Valve wanted to make it so that modding could be a full time job. Huh.
5 Frags +

I don't hate the idea of paying for good mods at all but the implementation sucked

I don't hate the idea of paying for good mods at all but the implementation sucked
4 Frags +
pl3xAccording to the announcement (it has a section titled "Why we thought this was a good idea" lol) Valve wanted to make it so that modding could be a full time job. Huh.

which is actually

a 10/10 idea tbh

as it is, you can develop a shit load of applicable design and computer skills if you can trudge through learning SKSE and the like, monetizing those skills is COOL

its just removing the need to work in a studio or a company or whatev i guess?!?!?

[quote=pl3x]According to the announcement (it has a section titled "Why we thought this was a good idea" lol) Valve wanted to make it so that modding could be a full time job. Huh.[/quote]
which is actually

a 10/10 idea tbh

as it is, you can develop a shit load of applicable design and computer skills if you can trudge through learning SKSE and the like, monetizing those skills is COOL

its just removing the need to work in a studio or a company or whatev i guess?!?!?
0 Frags +

It's a solid business idea at it's core though, contrary to how idiotic it does sound. Modders that have high traffic can get rewarded for their work, valve gets a cut for hosting it and the user can enjoy games like TF2, CS, GMod and DayZ with steam's backup cloud.
The "pay what you want" concept wouldn't work because, frankly, people aren't going to pay MORE for a mod to a game they already own. A static pricing scheme won't work because of the same problem. Some sort of scaling for mod-size and anything like that may have been a way to do it, but there'd be some hella bloated mods out there after that.

Glad it's not happening.

It's a solid business idea at it's core though, contrary to how idiotic it does sound. Modders that have high traffic can get rewarded for their work, valve gets a cut for hosting it and the user can enjoy games like TF2, CS, GMod and DayZ with steam's backup cloud.
The "pay what you want" concept wouldn't work because, frankly, people aren't going to pay MORE for a mod to a game they already own. A static pricing scheme won't work because of the same problem. Some sort of scaling for mod-size and anything like that may have been a way to do it, but there'd be some hella bloated mods out there after that.

Glad it's not happening.
-1 Frags +

Good job valve

Good job valve
4 Frags +

Skyrim is one of the worst games they could have picked with how fiddly mods are with it
Hope they bring it back but I'm not sure what game would work well with it, any other game that gets as heavily modded as Skyrim does will have the same issues

Skyrim is one of the worst games they could have picked with how fiddly mods are with it
Hope they bring it back but I'm not sure what game would work well with it, any other game that gets as heavily modded as Skyrim does will have the same issues
4 Frags +
Red_who thought this could be a good idea?

It could be a good idea. Just that Valve did it extremely badly. Modders definitely deserve something for their efforts but one fucking sword for a dollar etc is a joke.

[quote=Red_]who thought this could be a good idea?[/quote]
It could be a good idea. Just that Valve did it extremely badly. Modders definitely deserve something for their efforts but one fucking sword for a dollar etc is a joke.
3 Frags +

paid mods aren't a bad idea. this probably could've gone a lot better if there was some kind of quality control for the mods and most of the profit went to the mod developers.

paid mods aren't a bad idea. this probably could've gone a lot better if there was some kind of quality control for the mods and most of the profit went to the mod developers.
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.