Upvote Upvoted 10 Downvote Downvoted
Tennis Players
posted in Off Topic
0 Frags +

Are there any current or former (competitive) tennis players on here? If so, what was your rating, and what kind of tournaments/events have you played in? Also, what racquets did you use, etc?

At my peak I was a self rated 4.5, and played with Babolat Pure Drive Roddick racquets. I also played in a USTA JTT national tournament, along with some USTA sectional tournaments, and of course high school tennis. Was going to play D2 at school, then realized I wanted to have a life.

Tennis to me is one of the hardest sports out there, mentally and physically. Gets a lot less credit than it deserves. Would love to hear from anyone else that played.

inb4 what does my grunt sound like

Are there any current or former (competitive) tennis players on here? If so, what was your rating, and what kind of tournaments/events have you played in? Also, what racquets did you use, etc?

At my peak I was a self rated 4.5, and played with Babolat Pure Drive Roddick racquets. I also played in a USTA JTT national tournament, along with some USTA sectional tournaments, and of course high school tennis. Was going to play D2 at school, then realized I wanted to have a life.

Tennis to me is one of the hardest sports out there, mentally and physically. Gets a lot less credit than it deserves. Would love to hear from anyone else that played.

inb4 what does my grunt sound like
0 Frags +

i was the captain on my high school tennis team my senior year. we were a terrible team and we had just enough people to field a full meet and i was the second worst player on the team but i was the only senior so i got to be captain. i havent played since then, unfortunately. its a great sport that can last a lifetime (my grandma was winning all-ages tournaments at age 50)

i was the captain on my high school tennis team my senior year. we were a terrible team and we had just enough people to field a full meet and i was the second worst player on the team but i was the only senior so i got to be captain. i havent played since then, unfortunately. its a great sport that can last a lifetime (my grandma was winning all-ages tournaments at age 50)
9 Frags +

i was the best player at my high school and the worst player to make state in illinois

i was the best player at my high school and the worst player to make state in illinois
0 Frags +

Currently a Freshman, picking up tennis for the first time. Over the past month I've learned more and more, and have been witnessing the mental and physical game that tennis has. I'm the bottom of JV doubles (we only have JV and Varsity,) and my consistency is better than the first week I played.

I honestly have no clue what my tennis racquet is, it's just a spare one my classmate gave to me lol. I'm probably going to commit more over the summer and learn. So far there's been no pressure which has been nice, and my serves are probably the worst so far, and footing/positioning next.

Currently a Freshman, picking up tennis for the first time. Over the past month I've learned more and more, and have been witnessing the mental and physical game that tennis has. I'm the bottom of JV doubles (we only have JV and Varsity,) and my consistency is better than the first week I played.

I honestly have no clue what my tennis racquet is, it's just a spare one my classmate gave to me lol. I'm probably going to commit more over the summer and learn. So far there's been no pressure which has been nice, and my serves are probably the worst so far, and footing/positioning next.
15 Frags +

WHERE IS TYRONE

WHERE IS TYRONE
6 Frags +

What does your grunt sound like

What does your grunt sound like
2 Frags +

JV tennis player reporting in! I'm pretty shit right now, but I'm working on it. I have a Head SpeedLite.

JV tennis player reporting in! I'm pretty shit right now, but I'm working on it. I have a Head SpeedLite.
1 Frags +

I played through high school, self rated 4.5 as well. I live in Alaska so there weren't a lot of options as far as USTA tournaments go, and the competition pool was pretty small (but there were some really high quality players in it). I use a Prince Ignite (can't remember the head size).

My biggest accomplishment would be going to the John Newcombe Tennis Ranch and getting selected for their touring team. We got to travel to a handful of tournaments around the UK (I did pretty well on the clay court matches but got destroyed when we played a tournament on grass courts). We also got to spend 4 days watching Wimbledon which was absolutely incredible (I got to watch a few matches on Centre Court, met Bob (or was it Mike?) Bryan on the tube, Fernando Gonzalez on a street corner, and John Newcombe + Lleyton Hewitt's coaches (Mark Woodforde and Tony Roche) at John Newcombe's house right next to the Wimbledon grounds).

I love the sport, but I've hardly played it in the last couple of years. This thread is already making me want to get back out there on the court.

I played through high school, self rated 4.5 as well. I live in Alaska so there weren't a lot of options as far as USTA tournaments go, and the competition pool was pretty small (but there were some really high quality players in it). I use a Prince Ignite (can't remember the head size).

My biggest accomplishment would be going to the John Newcombe Tennis Ranch and getting selected for their touring team. We got to travel to a handful of tournaments around the UK (I did pretty well on the clay court matches but got destroyed when we played a tournament on grass courts). We also got to spend 4 days watching Wimbledon which was absolutely incredible (I got to watch a few matches on Centre Court, met Bob (or was it Mike?) Bryan on the tube, Fernando Gonzalez on a street corner, and John Newcombe + Lleyton Hewitt's coaches (Mark Woodforde and Tony Roche) at John Newcombe's house right next to the Wimbledon grounds).

I love the sport, but I've hardly played it in the last couple of years. This thread is already making me want to get back out there on the court.
7 Frags +
phazCurrently a Freshman, picking up tennis for the first time. Over the past month I've learned more and more, and have been witnessing the mental and physical game that tennis has. I'm the bottom of JV doubles (we only have JV and Varsity,) and my consistency is better than the first week I played.

Good to hear you are picking it up. I urge you to really stick with it and get better. Its a great sport to play throughout all stages of your life. There are guys I know in their 70s and 80s that still play, something you don't really see much in other sports.

alec_i was the best player at my high school and the worst player to make state in illinois

I was pretty much the same lol. Won counties in HS two years in a row, and only made it as far as the second round in the district tournament. Though my district was pretty stacked, with multiple players that were capable of playing D1 in college.

SuperfuzzI played through high school, self rated 4.5 as well. I live in Alaska so there weren't a lot of options as far as USTA tournaments go, and the competition pool was pretty small (but there were some really high quality players in it). I use a Prince Ignite (can't remember the head size).

I envy you for getting to go to Wimbledon. I want to go there so bad. I've only ever been to the US Open since its close by. Though that is pretty fun as well. When I was there I got to meet and get autographs from Andy Murray (who was an asshole for the record) and Brad Gilbert when he was his coach. Also got autographs from Martina Navratilova, Kim Clijsters, Anna Kournikova (ayy lmao), and was like an inch away from Federer when he was leaning up against a fence on a practice court and I was hiding between two bushes watching him practice lol, if that counts for anything.

I haven't played much in the past couple of years either, but definitely trying to get back into it this summer, maybe play on some 4.0 mens teams.

JermWhat does your grunt sound like

manly

[quote=phaz]Currently a Freshman, picking up tennis for the first time. Over the past month I've learned more and more, and have been witnessing the mental and physical game that tennis has. I'm the bottom of JV doubles (we only have JV and Varsity,) and my consistency is better than the first week I played.

I honestly have no clue what my tennis racquet is, it's just a spare one my classmate gave to me lol. I'm probably going to commit more over the summer and learn. So far there's been no pressure which has been nice, and my serves are probably the worst so far, and footing/positioning next.[/quote]

Good to hear you are picking it up. I urge you to really stick with it and get better. Its a great sport to play throughout all stages of your life. There are guys I know in their 70s and 80s that still play, something you don't really see much in other sports.

[quote=alec_]i was the best player at my high school and the worst player to make state in illinois[/quote]

I was pretty much the same lol. Won counties in HS two years in a row, and only made it as far as the second round in the district tournament. Though my district was pretty stacked, with multiple players that were capable of playing D1 in college.

[quote=Superfuzz]I played through high school, self rated 4.5 as well. I live in Alaska so there weren't a lot of options as far as USTA tournaments go, and the competition pool was pretty small (but there were some really high quality players in it). I use a Prince Ignite (can't remember the head size).

I love the sport, but I've hardly played it in the last couple of years. This thread is already making me want to get back out there on the court.[/quote]

I envy you for getting to go to Wimbledon. I want to go there so bad. I've only ever been to the US Open since its close by. Though that is pretty fun as well. When I was there I got to meet and get autographs from Andy Murray (who was an asshole for the record) and Brad Gilbert when he was his coach. Also got autographs from Martina Navratilova, Kim Clijsters, Anna Kournikova (ayy lmao), and was like an inch away from Federer when he was leaning up against a fence on a practice court and I was hiding between two bushes watching him practice lol, if that counts for anything.

I haven't played much in the past couple of years either, but definitely trying to get back into it this summer, maybe play on some 4.0 mens teams.

[quote=Jerm]What does your grunt sound like[/quote]

manly
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.