Upvote Upvoted 10 Downvote Downvoted
1 2
144hz Not Constant
posted in Q/A Help
0 Frags +

It appears that my game isn't running at 144hz 90% of the time.
Sometimes when I alt-tab out of the game and return to it there is a very noticeable jump in smoothness, which I can only assume means that 144hz kicked in. It's been happening for a long time now and I have no clue whats causing it.
Does anyone else have this issue?
Running TF2 Windows No-border, game normally does not run at full 144 hz, only kicks in completely randomly after an alt-tab. If I alt-tab again, it loses the 144hz.
I've gone through two different graphics cards(ati to nvidia) and it happened when I ran windows 7 and it's still happening with windows 8.1.

It appears that my game isn't running at 144hz 90% of the time.
Sometimes when I alt-tab out of the game and return to it there is a very noticeable jump in smoothness, which I can only assume means that 144hz kicked in. It's been happening for a long time now and I have no clue whats causing it.
Does anyone else have this issue?
Running TF2 Windows No-border, game normally does not run at full 144 hz, only kicks in completely randomly after an alt-tab. If I alt-tab again, it loses the 144hz.
I've gone through two different graphics cards(ati to nvidia) and it happened when I ran windows 7 and it's still happening with windows 8.1.
0 Frags +

What monitor are you running? Check the settings on your monitor on the physical monitor itself, as well as the settings on your computer

What monitor are you running? Check the settings on your monitor on the physical monitor itself, as well as the settings on your computer
4 Frags +

i feel like this makes no sense for a multitude of reasons.

if your monitor is set to 144hz in the nvidia control panel and you don't have some weird settings like "let the application decide" when it comes to refresh rate it shouldn't change.

You should also be able to tell what your refresh rate is by physically using the monitor buttons. A jump in smoothness can be attributed to a lot of things.

Also try using that command i think its like engine_focus_nosleep and set it to 1. I mightve just made that command up off the top of my head but it's something along those lines.

When you go to advanced settings on your monitor through windows control panel it should tell you the refresh rate of the monitor, and no applicaiton should be able to 'change' it.

i feel like this makes no sense for a multitude of reasons.

if your monitor is set to 144hz in the nvidia control panel and you don't have some weird settings like "let the application decide" when it comes to refresh rate it shouldn't change.

You should also be able to tell what your refresh rate is by physically using the monitor buttons. A jump in smoothness can be attributed to a lot of things.

Also try using that command i think its like engine_focus_nosleep and set it to 1. I mightve just made that command up off the top of my head but it's something along those lines.

When you go to advanced settings on your monitor through windows control panel it should tell you the refresh rate of the monitor, and no applicaiton should be able to 'change' it.
0 Frags +

Yeah that's why its so confusing to me
The monitor and Nvidia are set to 144hz, but sometimes after tabbing in and out of TF2 there is a smoothness difference of day and night. Maybe i'm crazy and gay but if anyone else has noticed anything like this i'd like to know

Yeah that's why its so confusing to me
The monitor and Nvidia are set to 144hz, but sometimes after tabbing in and out of TF2 there is a smoothness difference of day and night. Maybe i'm crazy and gay but if anyone else has noticed anything like this i'd like to know
0 Frags +

Is Aero enabled and do you have multiple monitors, with at least one of them that isn't running at 144?

If so, try disabling Aero.

Is Aero enabled and do you have multiple monitors, with at least one of them that isn't running at 144?

If so, try disabling Aero.
4 Frags +

try engine_focus_nosleep and see if that fixes it, now im curious, it might have something to do with alt tabbing to a monitor not running at 144hz and tf2 getting confused when it goes in and out of focus.

try engine_focus_nosleep and see if that fixes it, now im curious, it might have something to do with alt tabbing to a monitor not running at 144hz and tf2 getting confused when it goes in and out of focus.
3 Frags +
flametry engine_focus_nosleep and see if that fixes it, now im curious, it might have something to do with alt tabbing to a monitor not running at 144hz and tf2 getting confused when it goes in and out of focus.

The thing is, I don't think it's TF2. I think it's actually DWM causing this issue, and I've experienced it myself. Some kind of bug with hardware acceleration. In 7, you can disable Aero and it'll fix the issue, but that isn't an option in 8.1 I guess...

[quote=flame]try engine_focus_nosleep and see if that fixes it, now im curious, it might have something to do with alt tabbing to a monitor not running at 144hz and tf2 getting confused when it goes in and out of focus.[/quote]
The thing is, I don't think it's TF2. I think it's actually DWM causing this issue, and I've experienced it myself. Some kind of bug with hardware acceleration. In 7, you can disable Aero and it'll fix the issue, but that isn't an option in 8.1 I guess...
1 Frags +

disabling aero would make me feel like a pleb, if when he starts the game it' at 144hz and only changes when the game comes in and out of focus maybe disallowing it from leaving focus could be a workaround

disabling aero would make me feel like a pleb, if when he starts the game it' at 144hz and only changes when the game comes in and out of focus maybe disallowing it from leaving focus could be a workaround
0 Frags +
flamedisabling aero would make me feel like a pleb, if when he starts the game it' at 144hz and only changes when the game comes in and out of focus maybe disallowing it from leaving focus could be a workaround

Isn't it worth testing, just to see if it works?

[quote=flame]disabling aero would make me feel like a pleb, if when he starts the game it' at 144hz and only changes when the game comes in and out of focus maybe disallowing it from leaving focus could be a workaround[/quote]
Isn't it worth testing, just to see if it works?
3 Frags +

also im pretty sure theres a lauch option you can add to tf2 to set the refresh rate

pretty sure you just do -refresh 144

try that too

also im pretty sure theres a lauch option you can add to tf2 to set the refresh rate

try that too
1 Frags +
flamealso im pretty sure theres a lauch option you can add to tf2 to set the refresh rate

try that too

won't do anything if running in a window

[quote=flame]also im pretty sure theres a lauch option you can add to tf2 to set the refresh rate

try that too[/quote]
won't do anything if running in a window
0 Frags +

Oh another thing that I've noticed when I was having this issue was that cl_showfps showed a frame rate far above 144, even when it looked more like 50 to my eyes. That's what told me it was something with how the window was being displayed that caused the issue.

I actually contacted NVIDIA about this to see if they knew anything but they weren't helpful at all.

Oh another thing that I've noticed when I was having this issue was that cl_showfps showed a frame rate far above 144, even when it looked more like 50 to my eyes. That's what told me it was something with how the window was being displayed that caused the issue.

I actually contacted NVIDIA about this to see if they knew anything but they weren't helpful at all.
0 Frags +

You can't turn off Areo on windows 8 but I turned down the settings to low, also added engine_focus_nosleep 0 and -refresh 144 into launch options. No changes

Something strange though...when I changed the windows areo settings to low my mouse DPI changed.
Had to go and download the drivers for it to set it back to normal

You can't turn off Areo on windows 8 but I turned down the settings to low, also added engine_focus_nosleep 0 and -refresh 144 into launch options. No changes

Something strange though...when I changed the windows areo settings to low my mouse DPI changed.
0 Frags +
taggYou can't turn off Areo on windows 8 but I turned down the settings to low, also added engine_focus_ nosleep 0 and -refresh 144 into launch options. No changes

Windows is weird sometimes.

Can you try it on a 7 install to see if that would fix the issue, or is that not really an option?

[quote=tagg]You can't turn off Areo on windows 8 but I turned down the settings to low, also added engine_focus_ nosleep 0 and -refresh 144 into launch options. No changes

Had to go and download the drivers for it to set it back to normal[/quote]
Windows is weird sometimes.

Can you try it on a 7 install to see if that would fix the issue, or is that not really an option?
0 Frags +

do you have vsync force disabled? that sidesteps the aero/dwm vsync problems on nvidia

do you have vsync force disabled? that sidesteps the aero/dwm vsync problems on nvidia
0 Frags +
wareyado you have vsync force disabled? that sidesteps the aero/dwm vsync problems on nvidia

Not relevant when running in windowed mode, iirc? At that point, DWM is in charge of vsync. If that can be disabled please let me know. DWM has forced triple buffering and it's probably the root cause of this issue, not lowering the framerate but displaying less frames. In 7, disabling transparency would disable the GPU acceleration, which would disable triple buffering, but that's not an option in 8.

[quote=wareya]do you have vsync force disabled? that sidesteps the aero/dwm vsync problems on nvidia[/quote]
Not relevant when running in windowed mode, iirc? At that point, DWM is in charge of vsync. If [i]that[/i] can be disabled please let me know. DWM has forced triple buffering and it's probably the root cause of this issue, not lowering the framerate but displaying less frames. In 7, disabling transparency would disable the GPU acceleration, which would disable triple buffering, but that's not an option in 8.
0 Frags +

Windows 8 still has visual affects from aero enabled by default, you can turn most of them off by going to control panel > system > advanced system settings > performance > settings and then clicking "adjust for best performance" (in visual effects)
Have you tried using fullscreen? It might be an issue with windowed noborder

Windows 8 still has visual affects from aero enabled by default, you can turn most of them off by going to control panel > system > advanced system settings > performance > settings and then clicking "adjust for best performance" (in visual effects)
10 Frags +
bearodactylWindows 8 still has visual affects from aero enabled by default, you can turn most of them off by going to control panel > system > advanced system settings > performance > settings and then clicking "adjust for best performance" (in visual effects)

It's an issue that crops up from a windowed application, a 144Hz monitor, a secondary monitor of any lower refresh rate, and DWM's forced double buffering + vsync (after researching, it's not triple buffering). When all of these cases are true, the issue crops up. Essentially, DWM has issues with 3D output at a higher refresh rate than the lowest refresh rate monitor on the system, because they're all being tied together. You don't notice the lag when the application isn't 3D.

From what I understand, what's happening is core to how DWM works, as a compositing window manager. Window contents are rendered as frames per-window. When DWM is in charge of vsync (aka not in exclusive, standard fullscreen mode), each time it wants to send a new frame to the monitor, it gathers every current frame from each window and composites them into a single image. With a 3D application, if a frame isn't complete, it ignores that frame and instead takes the last frame, giving the appearance of lag. The game still continues to render that frame and every frame in-between, so the measured framerate isn't affected, but those frames are discarded by DWM and so are never actually pushed to the display. The issue is, I believe DWM isn't pulling the last finished frame at the refresh interval of the monitor, but rather the last finished frame at the refresh interval of the lowest refresh rate monitor.

The solutions involve basically setting one of the previous cases to false. That means you can either disable Aero transparency or Aero entirely (and in turn, disable the double buffer + vsync), which isn't possible on Win8, or you can either remove any monitors that are less than 120Hz, or just run in fullscreen mode so that DWM has no control over what frames you send.

In essence, you can disable Aero transparency in 7, or lose multimonitor productivity by either removing the other monitors or running in fullscreen.

This bug is up to Microsoft to fix. They either have to fix the bug within DWM itself by using a true per-monitor refresh rate, on top of allowing incomplete frames for 3D applications (they should let those applications handle incomplete frames on their own), or make it so that applications can request exclusive refresh rate control for each monitor, so that DWM doesn't manage it on monitors with 3D applications running. This second method would be the best, because the graphics driver could handle this refresh rate timing for the application, in case an application doesn't support it. It would also mean that GSync displays can have the exclusive refresh rate control that they need while running games in a borderless windowed mode.

NVIDIA needs to contact Microsoft about this while they still have open communication regarding DX12. It's probably too late to fix this in Win8, but they can at least get it set up for Win10, especially if the DirectX team and NVIDIA want to push VR so much.

[quote=bearodactyl]Windows 8 still has visual affects from aero enabled by default, you can turn most of them off by going to control panel > system > advanced system settings > performance > settings and then clicking "adjust for best performance" (in visual effects)
Have you tried using fullscreen? It might be an issue with windowed noborder[/quote]
It's an issue that crops up from a windowed application, a 144Hz monitor, a secondary monitor of any lower refresh rate, and DWM's forced double buffering + vsync (after researching, it's not triple buffering). When all of these cases are true, the issue crops up. Essentially, DWM has issues with 3D output at a higher refresh rate than the lowest refresh rate monitor on the system, because they're all being tied together. You don't notice the lag when the application isn't 3D.

From what I understand, what's happening is core to how DWM works, as a compositing window manager. Window contents are rendered as frames per-window. When DWM is in charge of vsync (aka not in exclusive, standard fullscreen mode), each time it wants to send a new frame to the monitor, it gathers every current frame from each window and composites them into a single image. With a 3D application, if a frame isn't complete, it ignores that frame and instead takes the last frame, giving the appearance of lag. The game still continues to render that frame and every frame in-between, so the measured framerate isn't affected, but those frames are discarded by DWM and so are never actually pushed to the display. The issue is, I believe DWM isn't pulling the last finished frame at the refresh interval of the monitor, but rather the last finished frame at the refresh interval of the lowest refresh rate monitor.

The solutions involve basically setting one of the previous cases to false. That means you can either disable Aero transparency or Aero entirely (and in turn, disable the double buffer + vsync), which isn't possible on Win8, or you can either remove any monitors that are less than 120Hz, or just run in fullscreen mode so that DWM has no control over what frames you send.

In essence, you can disable Aero transparency in 7, or lose multimonitor productivity by either removing the other monitors or running in fullscreen.

This bug is up to Microsoft to fix. They either have to fix the bug within DWM itself by using a true per-monitor refresh rate, on top of allowing incomplete frames for 3D applications (they should let those applications handle incomplete frames on their own), or make it so that applications can request exclusive refresh rate control for each monitor, so that DWM doesn't manage it on monitors with 3D applications running. This second method would be the best, because the graphics driver could handle this refresh rate timing for the application, in case an application doesn't support it. It would also mean that GSync displays can have the exclusive refresh rate control that they need while running games in a borderless windowed mode.

NVIDIA needs to contact Microsoft about this while they still have open communication regarding DX12. It's probably too late to fix this in Win8, but they can at least get it set up for Win10, especially if the DirectX team and NVIDIA want to push VR so much.
5 Frags +

You're a smart man yttrium

You're a smart man yttrium
0 Frags +
taggYou're a smart man yttrium

s-senpai has noticed me!

I've really just been dealing with this same issue like you have ever since I got my 144Hz monitor last September. It's been bugging me so much that I haven't been able to figure it out, but I researched into it a lot today and this is basically what I think the situation is, from a lot of reverse engineering and testing. Thankfully, I'm on 7 and my visual style actually has a non-Aero version that looks great, so that's what I've been using. I still want to get this solved though. There's almost nothing about it online.

[quote=tagg]You're a smart man yttrium[/quote]
s-senpai has noticed me!

I've really just been dealing with this same issue like you have ever since I got my 144Hz monitor last September. It's been bugging me so much that I haven't been able to figure it out, but I researched into it a lot today and this is basically what I think the situation is, from a lot of reverse engineering and testing. Thankfully, I'm on 7 and my visual style actually has a non-Aero version that looks great, so that's what I've been using. I still want to get this solved though. There's almost nothing about it online.
0 Frags +

Oh, actually, to amend my previous essay, at the end I mentioned VR. At least on the NVIDIA front, this bug won't impact VR headsets at all. It would in some cases with older headsets, but newer ones that support VR Direct will completely bypass DWM, so they won't be affected. VR Direct is intended to bypass DWM and any issues with it, including the amount of lag that happens when the CPU is bogged down (though that may be limited to DX11 singlethreading). I don't think this thread's bug was the reason for VR Direct, but it is a workaround, at least for VR.

Oh, actually, to amend my previous essay, at the end I mentioned VR. At least on the NVIDIA front, this bug won't impact VR headsets at all. It would in some cases with older headsets, but newer ones that support VR Direct will completely bypass DWM, so they won't be affected. VR Direct is intended to bypass DWM and any issues with it, including the amount of lag that happens when the CPU is bogged down (though that may be limited to DX11 singlethreading). I don't think this thread's bug was the reason for VR Direct, but it is a workaround, at least for VR.
5 Frags +

the short answer is use fullscreen dont be a retard like me and use windowed and have huge input lag and not realize it god bless

the short answer is use fullscreen dont be a retard like me and use windowed and have huge input lag and not realize it god bless
3 Frags +
2cand not realize it

you've got bigger issues

[quote=2c]and not realize it[/quote]
you've got bigger issues
0 Frags +

i didnt play fps games for 2 yrs

i didnt play fps games for 2 yrs
0 Frags +

>Not relevant when running in windowed mode, iirc?
*Only* relelvant when running in windowed mode.
>At that point, DWM is in charge of vsync. If that can be disabled please let me know.
It can be on Nvidia. Not on AMD. There's also supposed to be a registry key for it somewhere in 8, but take that with salt.

>Not relevant when running in windowed mode, iirc?
*Only* relelvant when running in windowed mode.
>At that point, DWM is in charge of vsync. If that can be disabled please let me know.
It can be on Nvidia. Not on AMD. There's also supposed to be a registry key for it somewhere in 8, but take that with salt.
0 Frags +
wareyaIt can be on Nvidia. Not on AMD. There's also supposed to be a registry key for it somewhere in 8, but take that with salt.

How can it be done, though? I've tried googling it all day and haven't been able to find anything relevant.

[quote=wareya]It can be on Nvidia. Not on AMD. There's also supposed to be a registry key for it somewhere in 8, but take that with salt.[/quote]
How can it be done, though? I've tried googling it all day and haven't been able to find anything relevant.
0 Frags +
taggYou can't turn off Areo on windows 8

Yes you can.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwz9dNJzmukQRjhUV0tqbjQ2LXc/view?usp=sharing

Place this in your C:/Windows/Resources/Themes folder and double click it.

Screenshot

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwz9dNJzmukQb0pfUXIxbzMwWDA/view?usp=sharing

I got +30 FPS with this.

[quote=tagg]You can't turn off Areo on windows 8 [/quote]
Yes you can.

Screenshot

I got +30 FPS with this.
0 Frags +
ScrewballYes you can.

Screenshot

I got +30 FPS with this.

Do you get screen tearing on the desktop, and when you minimize an application, does everything freeze until it's minimized?

EDIT: Aero Lite on Win8 still uses DWM. It is completely impossible to disable DWM in Win8 and up like you could in Vista and 7.

[quote=Screwball]Yes you can.

Screenshot

I got +30 FPS with this.[/quote]
Do you get screen tearing on the desktop, and when you minimize an application, does everything freeze until it's minimized?

EDIT: Aero Lite on Win8 still uses DWM. It is completely impossible to disable DWM in Win8 and up like you could in Vista and 7.
0 Frags +
yttriumDo you get screen tearing on the desktop, and when you minimize an application, does everything freeze until it's minimized?

I have window animations turned off.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwz9dNJzmukQTkZ6RnkwZV8tLXM/view?usp=sharing

[quote=yttrium]
Do you get screen tearing on the desktop, and when you minimize an application, does everything freeze until it's minimized?[/quote]

0 Frags +
ScrewballI have window animations turned off.

That's not what I'm getting at. I was trying to point out that disabling DWM disables animations. You can disable animations with DWM still on.

We need to disable DWM in order to fix this bug. Aero Lite in Win8 does not disable DWM.

[quote=Screwball]

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwz9dNJzmukQTkZ6RnkwZV8tLXM/view?usp=sharing[/quote]
That's not what I'm getting at. I was trying to point out that disabling DWM disables animations. You can disable animations with DWM still on.

We need to disable DWM in order to fix this bug. Aero Lite in Win8 does not disable DWM.
1 2
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.