Upvote Upvoted 6 Downvote Downvoted
1 2
Improving Tracking
posted in Q/A Help
0 Frags +

I am trying to get good at shotgun as a newer pocket and am wondering how I can get more consistent with my aim, I am trying to grind it out on tr_newbots, but I don't know if that is even helpful. Thanks in advance!

Show Content
I am trying to get good at shotgun as a newer pocket and am wondering how I can get more consistent with my aim, I am trying to grind it out on tr_newbots, but I don't know if that is even helpful. Thanks in advance!

[spoiler]10in/360
800 dpi
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826146009[/spoiler]
10 Frags +

play shotgun only in ammomod against a soldier that uses rockets

many people wont want to do this, so ask a friend or teammate

this is the best aim training practice method ive ever used

play shotgun only in ammomod against a soldier that uses rockets

1 Frags +

scout in dm, mge mge mge mge, just use it more and take ur time

or do mouse control exercises i.e. surfing

scout in dm, mge mge mge mge, just use it more and take ur time

or do mouse control exercises i.e. surfing
-18 Frags +
jake_play shotgun only in ammomod against a soldier that uses rockets

you could play shotgun heavy too, since it would be more fair and unless you're surfing rockets there won't be a big difference in speed.

EDIT: with a 3% difference in speed, I don't see how this would be dumb, but apparently I'm wrong about something. Is it the hitboxes or is having more health than them a bad thing?

[quote=jake_]play shotgun only in ammomod against a soldier that uses rockets

this is the best aim training practice method ive ever used[/quote]
you could play shotgun heavy too, since it would be more fair and unless you're surfing rockets there won't be a big difference in speed.

EDIT: with a 3% difference in speed, I don't see how this would be dumb, but apparently I'm wrong about something. Is it the hitboxes or is having more health than them a bad thing?
5 Frags +
fatswimdudejake_play shotgun only in ammomod against a soldier that uses rockets

-fragged because u edited ur post to question why ur gettin -fragged

[quote=fatswimdude][quote=jake_]play shotgun only in ammomod against a soldier that uses rockets

this is the best aim training practice method ive ever used[/quote]

EDIT: with a 3% difference in speed, I don't see how this would be dumb, but apparently I'm wrong about something. Is it the hitboxes or is having more health than them a bad thing?[/quote]

-fragged because u edited ur post to question why ur gettin -fragged
-13 Frags +
Rick-fragged because u edited ur post to question why ur gettin -fragged

not sure what's wrong with asking for discussion in a discussion thread but okay

[quote=Rick]-fragged because u edited ur post to question why ur gettin -fragged[/quote]
not sure what's wrong with asking for discussion in a discussion thread but okay
6 Frags +
fatswimdudeRick-fragged because u edited ur post to question why ur gettin -fraggednot sure what's wrong with asking for discussion in a discussion thread but okay

No you missed the entire point of what sneaky said. Shotgun Soldier is both faster and more importantly LIGHTER than a heavy. Meaning you will be juggled for higher and longer requiring you to aim more while surfing rockets / rising / falling. Which is very intensive practice on tracking based aim.

[quote=fatswimdude][quote=Rick]-fragged because u edited ur post to question why ur gettin -fragged[/quote]
not sure what's wrong with asking for discussion in a discussion thread but okay[/quote]

No you missed the entire point of what sneaky said. Shotgun Soldier is both faster and more importantly LIGHTER than a heavy. Meaning you will be juggled for higher and longer requiring you to aim more while surfing rockets / rising / falling. Which is very intensive practice on tracking based aim.
2 Frags +

you move so slow that its pointless to do anything but strafe into every shot to make it easier on yourself

source: sg was the only reason i ever beat anyone good in mge. i have the personal opinion that people dont weapon switch nearly enough in 1v1s but it might be dependent on how good your own rocket aim is i guess

you move so slow that its pointless to do anything but strafe into every shot to make it easier on yourself

source: sg was the only reason i ever beat anyone good in mge. i have the personal opinion that people dont weapon switch nearly enough in 1v1s but it might be dependent on how good your own rocket aim is i guess
43 Frags +

You can't improve shotgun aim, you are born with it.

You can't improve shotgun aim, you are born with it.
-1 Frags +

shotgun heavy 2fort master race

shotgun heavy 2fort master race
-6 Frags +
7 Frags +
wafflebaim with ur movement

Don't do this to practice your aim, assuming you mean strafe into them.

[quote=waffleb]aim with ur movement[/quote]

Don't do this to practice your aim, assuming you mean strafe into them.
4 Frags +

"tracking" is a gimmick taught to those who ask how to improve their aim instead of practicing

just practice for yourself and your aim will improve naturally in the style that suits you and your sensitivity best

edit: by practicing i mean actually play the game, not walkway, not targets, fight good players. the majority of the hard work in "aiming" is actually prediction of movement, which you don't get any of from playing walkway or bad players

"tracking" is a gimmick taught to those who ask how to improve their aim instead of practicing

just practice for yourself and your aim will improve naturally in the style that suits you and your sensitivity best

edit: by practicing i mean actually play the game, not walkway, not targets, fight good players. the majority of the hard work in "aiming" is actually prediction of movement, which you don't get any of from playing walkway or bad players
18 Frags +
randoYou can't improve shotgun aim, you are born with it.

He speaks the truth. Just don't gunboat for too long or you betray your dna.

[quote=rando]You can't improve shotgun aim, you are born with it.[/quote]
He speaks the truth. Just don't gunboat for too long or you betray your dna.
5 Frags +
Snowdream"tracking" is a gimmick

i don't get how getting better at placing your mouse on a target doesn't help you get better aim, but then again i'm bad

[quote=Snowdream]"tracking" is a gimmick[/quote]
i don't get how getting better at placing your mouse on a target doesn't help you get better aim, but then again i'm bad
0 Frags +

tracking is not a gimmick

also i don't know what "strafe into them" means other than the literal sense but i think movement is just as important a mechanism for aim as moving the mouse around

tracking is not a gimmick

also i don't know what "strafe into them" means other than the literal sense but i think movement is just as important a mechanism for aim as moving the mouse around
2 Frags +

A nice way to warm up is to just play Heavy in pubs. I usually do this for a while when I change my sensitivity.

That, or just play quake using the LG only.

A nice way to warm up is to just play Heavy in pubs. I usually do this for a while when I change my sensitivity.

That, or just play quake using the LG only.
0 Frags +

play against scouts in mge or dm and actively try to use shotgun to deal most of your damage

play against scouts in mge or dm and actively try to use shotgun to deal most of your damage
0 Frags +

don't just grind it out on newbots, practice in a lot of different ways
for instance: play scout in dm, play rocket jumper soldier in dm, play sniper in pubs, play scout v scout in mge, play scout v soldier in mge, don't do the same shit for hours, eventually you'll get bored and it will lose its effectiveness

don't just grind it out on newbots, practice in a lot of different ways
for instance: play scout in dm, play rocket jumper soldier in dm, play sniper in pubs, play scout v scout in mge, play scout v soldier in mge, don't do the same shit for hours, eventually you'll get bored and it will lose its effectiveness
5 Frags +

IMO players with best aim are those who best predict the enemy and use movement to setup shots.

Most "tracking" is actually lateralizing, so that the sideways movement of the enemy in your screen is diminished, or prediction.

Also, some of the best DM people don't really care to track - talking about soldiers just look at Mike. Or, for a more aim based class, look at B4nny, he just throws his aim around, syncing his movement with the enemys' movement for a brief period in every shot.

IMO players with best aim are those who best predict the enemy and use movement to setup shots.

Most "tracking" is actually lateralizing, so that the sideways movement of the enemy in your screen is diminished, or prediction.

Also, some of the best DM people don't really care to track - talking about soldiers just look at Mike. Or, for a more aim based class, look at B4nny, he just throws his aim around, syncing his movement with the enemys' movement for a brief period in every shot.
1 Frags +
aieraSnowdream"tracking" is a gimmicki don't get how getting better at placing your mouse on a target doesn't help you get better aim, but then again i'm bad

tracking isn't placing your mouse on a target, though. tracking is following said target with your mouse, keeping your crosshair on the target.

this is pretty much useless unless you're playing heavy

there is no reason to attempt to follow an unpredictable target with your crosshair inbetween shots, it will usually end up being worse off than just flicking a short distance to them on each shot (which is how nearly every good player naturally aims with practice)

[quote=aiera][quote=Snowdream]"tracking" is a gimmick[/quote]
i don't get how getting better at placing your mouse on a target doesn't help you get better aim, but then again i'm bad[/quote]

tracking isn't placing your mouse on a target, though. tracking is following said target with your mouse, keeping your crosshair on the target.

this is pretty much useless unless you're playing heavy

there is no reason to attempt to follow an unpredictable target with your crosshair inbetween shots, it will usually end up being worse off than just flicking a short distance to them on each shot (which is how nearly every good player naturally aims with practice)
3 Frags +
Snowdreamthere is no reason to attempt to follow an unpredictable target with your crosshair inbetween shots, it will usually end up being worse off than just flicking a short distance to them on each shot (which is how nearly every good player naturally aims with practice)

it's not about trying to lock on to them, it's about keeping up with them so whatever flick you have to do is minimal

[quote=Snowdream]there is no reason to attempt to follow an unpredictable target with your crosshair inbetween shots, it will usually end up being worse off than just flicking a short distance to them on each shot (which is how nearly every good player naturally aims with practice)[/quote]
it's not about trying to lock on to them, it's about keeping up with them so whatever flick you have to do is minimal
7 Frags +

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM7yudCpKCU

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM7yudCpKCU[/youtube]
-2 Frags +
ComangliafatswimdudeRick-fragged because u edited ur post to question why ur gettin -fraggednot sure what's wrong with asking for discussion in a discussion thread but okay

i have an iq of 2 and forgot juggling was even a thing. thanks

[quote=Comanglia][quote=fatswimdude][quote=Rick]-fragged because u edited ur post to question why ur gettin -fragged[/quote]
not sure what's wrong with asking for discussion in a discussion thread but okay[/quote]

No you missed the entire point of what sneaky said. Shotgun Soldier is both faster and more importantly LIGHTER than a heavy. Meaning you will be juggled for higher and longer requiring you to aim more while surfing rockets / rising / falling. Which is very intensive practice on tracking based aim.[/quote]
i have an iq of 2 and forgot juggling was even a thing. thanks
0 Frags +

play blands mid solly and use ur shotty when u deal like 100 dmg to them

play blands mid solly and use ur shotty when u deal like 100 dmg to them
3 Frags +

jump into tr_newbots and just try to shotgun the scout for an extended period. don't play scout to improve soldier shotty aim because scout is a lot of movement based aiming

jump into tr_newbots and just try to shotgun the scout for an extended period. don't play scout to improve soldier shotty aim because scout is a lot of movement based aiming
5 Frags +

Play a season of engie in steel highlander.

Play a season of engie in steel highlander.
0 Frags +

Practice, dm, mge
Those are the keys to get better
As someone pointed out above, just play the game and you'll get better eventually

Practice, dm, mge
Those are the keys to get better
As someone pointed out above, just play the game and you'll get better eventually
-1 Frags +

just chill around in lobbies or some shit

just chill around in lobbies or some shit
0 Frags +

An old teammate of mine used to practice shotgun in MGE solly v. scout by having a little game of it where they'd start with rockets and as soon as they got any damage with one, they'd have to try and finish the scout off with the shotgun.
It made it a bit more challenging/worthwhile for the scout while guaranteeing they always had to use the shotgun for at least one hit to get a kill.

An old teammate of mine used to practice shotgun in MGE solly v. scout by having a little game of it where they'd start with rockets and as soon as they got any damage with one, they'd have to try and finish the scout off with the shotgun.
It made it a bit more challenging/worthwhile for the scout while guaranteeing they always had to use the shotgun for at least one hit to get a kill.
1 2
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.