Upvote Upvoted 1 Downvote Downvoted
Arbitrary Frame Freezes [Help]
posted in Hardware
0 Frags +

I've been having a very strange problem lately that's made playing TF2 completely impossible. Recently, while playing MGE and on a server that I own (I haven't tried joining any pubs lately), I've experienced periods of time where my game will freeze while other applications such as Mumble as well as the Steam Overlay remain active. Outside of these moments, there are no problems, i.e. my ping and FPS are fine. I tried connecting directly through ethernet, as I'd been wireless previously, but it still solved nothing. Before this problem occured, my game would not freeze, but I would experience large lag spikes (jumping from ~40 ping to ~180+). Is this just a router problem, or a game problem, or what? I'm a technological illiterate, but I would like to be able to play lobbies without timing out every 90 seconds.

I've been having a very strange problem lately that's made playing TF2 completely impossible. Recently, while playing MGE and on a server that I own (I haven't tried joining any pubs lately), I've experienced periods of time where my game will freeze while other applications such as Mumble as well as the Steam Overlay remain active. Outside of these moments, there are no problems, i.e. my ping and FPS are fine. I tried connecting directly through ethernet, as I'd been wireless previously, but it still solved nothing. Before this problem occured, my game would not freeze, but I would experience large lag spikes (jumping from ~40 ping to ~180+). Is this just a router problem, or a game problem, or what? I'm a technological illiterate, but I would like to be able to play lobbies without timing out every 90 seconds.
0 Frags +

Is it looping sound before/during the freezes?

Is it looping sound before/during the freezes?
0 Frags +

I believe the sound shuts off entirely, but I'd have to check.

I believe the sound shuts off entirely, but I'd have to check.
0 Frags +

I have a similar issue that seems to affect all games, everything will freeze for a few seconds and then rubberband back to normal

sound loops/stutters
seems to happen once every few hours
doesnt happen outside of fullscreen games

its most likely kaspersky doing some realtime scan.

try http://www.pingtest.net/ to see if youre dropping packets
disable antivirus/firewall
if youre using any overlay program (mumble fraps rivatuner) turn them off
mess with fullscreen/borderless

I have a similar issue that seems to affect all games, everything will freeze for a few seconds and then rubberband back to normal

sound loops/stutters
seems to happen once every few hours
doesnt happen outside of fullscreen games

its most likely kaspersky doing some realtime scan.

try http://www.pingtest.net/ to see if youre dropping packets
disable antivirus/firewall
if youre using any overlay program (mumble fraps rivatuner) turn them off
mess with fullscreen/borderless
0 Frags +

it might have been a java run-related issue, as because of the pingtest, I learned that I needed to update a couple applications. The packet drops ranged from 0-5%, and the mumble is necessary for team comms. Thanks for the help, I'll be checking if that works.

it might have been a java run-related issue, as because of the pingtest, I learned that I needed to update a couple applications. The packet drops ranged from 0-5%, and the mumble is necessary for team comms. Thanks for the help, I'll be checking if that works.
-1 Frags +

Freezing problem still occurring. Turned on net_graph 1, was amused to see it still active and showing over 110 fps while I sat there, frozen. I recorded a demo while I practiced rollouts, it only took ~2 minutes to happen. https://www.dropbox.com/s/o7y23xlp8s0wtn5/20150524_2027_cp_process_final_red_blu.dem?dl=0

Fast-forward through until near the end on the run where I fire the critical sticky. My game simply locks and refuses to accept any movement commands. It's a really weird problem, and I'm not even sure how to describe it.

Freezing problem still occurring. Turned on net_graph 1, was amused to see it still active and showing over 110 fps while I sat there, frozen. I recorded a demo while I practiced rollouts, it only took ~2 minutes to happen. https://www.dropbox.com/s/o7y23xlp8s0wtn5/20150524_2027_cp_process_final_red_blu.dem?dl=0

Fast-forward through until near the end on the run where I fire the critical sticky. My game simply locks and refuses to accept any movement commands. It's a really weird problem, and I'm not even sure how to describe it.
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.