Upvote Upvoted 43 Downvote Downvoted
1 2 3
Saloon.tf and DDoSing
0 Frags +

OK serious thread now. I know this has probably been discussed before but now I think this might be a real issue in TF2 right now and for this season. Saloon.tf has been getting pretty popular and people have been betting real money on games. Like a lot of money (multiple buds and keys). Now DDoSing is not just some myth. People in the TF2 community know how to do it and someone has actually been caught doing it.

Before Saloon.tf was created people didn't have a reason to risk DDoSing so it only happened occasionally. My worry is that in this season of prem in ETT2L (and probably esea) people are possibly going to bet money and if the game isn't going their way they will begin to DDoS. An example of this is our teams (danger dogs) offical vs TLR. Now badlands was a comfortable win for them and they outplayed us (they are the better team) However on snakewater we were 2-0 up and doing well when suddenly our best player (scrab) gets 900 ping. Now scrab has told me himself that in every TF2 pcw and offical he has played in he has never had ping or internet issues. So as we were 2-0 up we needed to get a soldier main (who is still a great scout, but our team really needs scrab) to merc for us because as I said before scrab never has issues. So we then proceed to lose 6 rounds after being 2-0 up after we need to get a soldier merc like 10 minutes into the game. Now I would like to point out that

1. It could just be a huge coincidence that at the exact moment we were looking good on snakewater his ping went to 900 and he couldn't move. Also got to mention that the odds were 81% in favor of TLR on saloon.tf.

2. I am not saying this is why we lost. TLR are a better team than us and they may very well have beaten us with scrab.

BUT here is the important part. I just spend the last 2 hours calculating and $123.46 were bet on TLR to win. This was only a small amount about what could be bet on the grand finals. People will be betting multiple buds and there will be a lot of money on the line. If scrab was really DDoS'd tonight (and I am really sure he was) the same person might bet a lot more keys and buds on another game and then DDoS it so he can make more money later on in the season.

TL;DR: Exactly $123.46 was bet on TLR in our game tonight and i'm sure our best player was DDoS'd when we were 2-0 up and it screwed us over hard (although TLR still deserved to win). If there was a DDoSer out there betting on saloon.tf as prem progresses he could bet a lot more keys/buds on one team and DDoS the other team to make a lot more money. This could ruin prem and competitive TF2.

Some extra info.

Sonnyblack told me himself that they currently have no way to catch people who DDoS and they only caught one in the past because he admitted to it.

Scrab told me himself he has NEVER had internet issues of any kind. I can provide proof for both of these statements if necessary.

I am obviously sad about losing tonight but I don't think that TF2 was ready for Saloon.tf and this could ruin the game competitively.

Yes i'm autistic.

OK serious thread now. I know this has probably been discussed before but now I think this might be a real issue in TF2 right now and for this season. Saloon.tf has been getting pretty popular and people have been betting real money on games. Like a lot of money (multiple buds and keys). Now DDoSing is not just some myth. People in the TF2 community know how to do it and someone has actually been [url=http://etf2l.org/2014/11/27/more-november-bans-staff-changes/]caught doing it[/url].

Before Saloon.tf was created people didn't have a reason to risk DDoSing so it only happened occasionally. My worry is that in this season of prem in ETT2L (and probably esea) people are possibly going to bet money and if the game isn't going their way they will begin to DDoS. An example of this is our teams (danger dogs) offical vs TLR. Now badlands was a comfortable win for them and they outplayed us (they are the better team) However on snakewater we were 2-0 up and doing well when suddenly our best player (scrab) gets 900 ping. Now scrab has told me himself that in every TF2 pcw and offical he has played in he has never had ping or internet issues. So as we were 2-0 up we needed to get a soldier main (who is still a great scout, but our team really needs scrab) to merc for us because as I said before scrab never has issues. So we then proceed to lose 6 rounds after being 2-0 up after we need to get a soldier merc like 10 minutes into the game. Now I would like to point out that

1. It could just be a huge coincidence that at the exact moment we were looking good on snakewater his ping went to 900 and he couldn't move. Also got to mention that the odds were 81% in favor of TLR on saloon.tf.

2. I am not saying this is why we lost. TLR are a better team than us and they may very well have beaten us with scrab.

BUT here is the important part. I just spend the last 2 hours calculating and $123.46 were bet on TLR to win. This was only a small amount about what could be bet on the grand finals. People will be betting multiple buds and there will be a lot of money on the line. If scrab was really DDoS'd tonight (and I am really sure he was) the same person might bet a lot more keys and buds on another game and then DDoS it so he can make more money later on in the season.

TL;DR: Exactly $123.46 was bet on TLR in our game tonight and i'm sure our best player was DDoS'd when we were 2-0 up and it screwed us over hard (although TLR still deserved to win). If there was a DDoSer out there betting on saloon.tf as prem progresses he could bet a lot more keys/buds on one team and DDoS the other team to make a lot more money. This could ruin prem and competitive TF2.

Some extra info.

Sonnyblack told me himself that they currently have no way to catch people who DDoS and they only caught one in the past because he admitted to it.

Scrab told me himself he has NEVER had internet issues of any kind. I can provide proof for both of these statements if necessary.

I am obviously sad about losing tonight but I don't think that TF2 was ready for Saloon.tf and this could ruin the game competitively.

Yes i'm autistic.
1 Frags +

9 Frags +

Before people say "BUT CSGO AND DOTA 2 GET DDoS's TOO" it is totally different. Valve care about those games so say for example an important Dota 2 game is being DDoS'd, the game is paused and the match time and locations are saved. So the game can resume when its fixed (valve also put effort into preventing DDoS attacks into those games cause they are popular and bring in money) TF2 does not have this feature and right now and if a player is getting DDoS'd all you can do is pause and get a merc. This was fine until saloon.tf was invented and real money is now involved in a competitive game that isn't ready for that. I'm sorry to say this but I fear saloon.tf could ruin competitive TF2 unless valve do something about it (which they won't)

When real money (and people are betting a lot) is involved it no longer becomes "just a game". Saloon.tf is not going to work because TF2 is not supported well enough by valve and we have no anti DDoS measures.

Before people say "BUT CSGO AND DOTA 2 GET DDoS's TOO" it is totally different. Valve care about those games so say for example an important Dota 2 game is being DDoS'd, the game is paused and the match time and locations are saved. So the game can resume when its fixed (valve also put effort into preventing DDoS attacks into those games cause they are popular and bring in money) TF2 does not have this feature and right now and if a player is getting DDoS'd all you can do is pause and get a merc. This was fine until saloon.tf was invented and real money is now involved in a competitive game that isn't ready for that. I'm sorry to say this but I fear saloon.tf could ruin competitive TF2 unless valve do something about it (which they won't)

When real money (and people are betting a lot) is involved it no longer becomes "just a game". Saloon.tf is not going to work because TF2 is not supported well enough by valve and we have no anti DDoS measures.
1 Frags +

Ban ddosers from Valve sponsored tournaments

Ban ddosers from Valve sponsored tournaments
6 Frags +

Didn't this happen ages ago? Like games were starting to get ddos'd so prem official servers started to get hidden (as in you couldn't go onto steam friends right click them and view game info). Can't we just go back to doing that if this is actually happening now?

Didn't this happen ages ago? Like games were starting to get ddos'd so prem official servers started to get hidden (as in you couldn't go onto steam friends right click them and view game info). Can't we just go back to doing that if this is actually happening now?
2 Frags +

I have tried talking to the head admin of ETF2L on the matter and this is his view on things.

sheepy | Tf2Pickup.net: you need to consider this
sheepy | Tf2Pickup.net: when a lot of money is on the line it no longer becomes just a game
sheepy | Tf2Pickup.net: and people will abuse that
Sonny Black | ETF2L.org: idk what u want me to do here
Sonny Black | ETF2L.org: and i think you are making a bigger deal out of it as it is
Sonny Black | ETF2L.org: because you are too involved
Sonny Black | ETF2L.org: go offline in steam
Sonny Black | ETF2L.org: and that prevents a whole lot (this is bullshit)
Sonny Black | ETF2L.org: get ddos'd
Sonny Black | ETF2L.org: replug your router and hope for the best
Sonny Black | ETF2L.org: as i said if someone really wants to ddos u
Sonny Black | ETF2L.org: he will do it (and this is why Saloon.tf could ruin TF2.)

sheepy | Tf2Pickup.net: if ddosing continues to happen in prem games
sheepy | Tf2Pickup.net: saloon.tf needs to be banned
Sonny Black | ETF2L.org: yeah sure
Sonny Black | ETF2L.org: we ban saloon
Sonny Black | ETF2L.org: and that will totally fix that
Sonny Black | ETF2L.org: no one will bet anymore (he is saying this sarcastically but he doesn't seem to know what he is talking about. People are betting on tf2 because there is a well made site that makes it easy. Before the site was made the only betting was between friends and it was usually just for a few hats. If the site is banned then people will not be betting big money on a game that isn't ready for a real life money betting site.)
sheepy | Tf2Pickup.net: yes
sheepy | Tf2Pickup.net: If prem games continue to be DDoS'd then Saloon.tf should be shut down.

I have tried talking to the head admin of ETF2L on the matter and this is his view on things.

sheepy | Tf2Pickup.net: you need to consider this
sheepy | Tf2Pickup.net: when a lot of money is on the line it no longer becomes just a game
sheepy | Tf2Pickup.net: and people will abuse that
Sonny Black | ETF2L.org: idk what u want me to do here
Sonny Black | ETF2L.org: and i think you are making a bigger deal out of it as it is
Sonny Black | ETF2L.org: because you are too involved
Sonny Black | ETF2L.org: go offline in steam
Sonny Black | ETF2L.org: and that prevents a whole lot (this is bullshit)
Sonny Black | ETF2L.org: get ddos'd
Sonny Black | ETF2L.org: replug your router and hope for the best
Sonny Black | ETF2L.org: as i said if someone really wants to ddos u
Sonny Black | ETF2L.org: he will do it (and this is why Saloon.tf could ruin TF2.)

sheepy | Tf2Pickup.net: if ddosing continues to happen in prem games
sheepy | Tf2Pickup.net: saloon.tf needs to be banned
Sonny Black | ETF2L.org: yeah sure
Sonny Black | ETF2L.org: we ban saloon
Sonny Black | ETF2L.org: and that will totally fix that
Sonny Black | ETF2L.org: no one will bet anymore (he is saying this sarcastically but he doesn't seem to know what he is talking about. People are betting on tf2 because there is a well made site that makes it easy. Before the site was made the only betting was between friends and it was usually just for a few hats. If the site is banned then people will not be betting big money on a game that isn't ready for a real life money betting site.)
sheepy | Tf2Pickup.net: yes
sheepy | Tf2Pickup.net: If prem games continue to be DDoS'd then Saloon.tf should be shut down.
-5 Frags +

It is the player's own responsibility to keep their IP private hard to obtain.

As far as the server goes, it shouldn't be too hard to keep it secret. Have everyone get a private profile/go offline on Steam for the match so that a hacker can't get the server IP through Steam, and only give the IP to trusted people.

Can't DDOS without an IP
http://play.esea.net/index.php?s=forums&d=topic&id=627837

It is the player's own responsibility to keep their IP [s]private[/s] hard to obtain.

As far as the server goes, it shouldn't be too hard to keep it secret. Have everyone get a private profile/go offline on Steam for the match so that a hacker can't get the server IP through Steam, and only give the IP to trusted people.

Can't DDOS without an IP
http://play.esea.net/index.php?s=forums&d=topic&id=627837
-3 Frags +
T0mDidn't this happen ages ago? Like games were starting to get ddos'd so prem official servers started to get hidden (as in you couldn't go onto steam friends right click them and view game info). Can't we just go back to doing that if this is actually happening now?

I'm not an expert but I don't think this will prevent certain players from getting DDoS'd. It might protect the server but this won't protect individuals from getting DDoS'd.

[quote=T0m]Didn't this happen ages ago? Like games were starting to get ddos'd so prem official servers started to get hidden (as in you couldn't go onto steam friends right click them and view game info). Can't we just go back to doing that if this is actually happening now?[/quote]

I'm not an expert but I don't think this will prevent certain players from getting DDoS'd. It might protect the server but this won't protect individuals from getting DDoS'd.
14 Frags +

Resetting your router does NOT stop a Ddos attack. Unless you have a dynamic IP, you're pretty much screwed for as long as the attacker wants to do it.

Resetting your router does NOT stop a Ddos attack. Unless you have a dynamic IP, you're pretty much screwed for as long as the attacker wants to do it.
-4 Frags +
RaytekIt is the player's own responsibility to keep their IP private.

what? So you are saying everyone who plays in a high level TF2 game from now on has to learn to keep their IP private and that will fix the ddosing? Or we could just you know, not have betting on a game that isn't ready for betting.

[quote=Raytek]It is the player's own responsibility to keep their IP private.
[/quote]

what? So you are saying everyone who plays in a high level TF2 game from now on has to learn to keep their IP private and that will fix the ddosing? Or we could just you know, not have betting on a game that isn't ready for betting.
3 Frags +

How would you shut down saloon.tf anyway?

How would you shut down saloon.tf anyway?
11 Frags +

Thinking that shutting down saloon.tf will stop the people being ddos'd is fucking retarded. It was being done before saloon.tf already.

Thinking that shutting down saloon.tf will stop the people being ddos'd is fucking retarded. It was being done before saloon.tf already.
RGB LAN
5 Frags +

Saloon wouldn't need to be shut down. You could have it so games from certain leagues would no longer be added. CSGL does that when it starts to get out of hand, or if the league asks them not to put up their games.

Saloon wouldn't need to be shut down. You could have it so games from certain leagues would no longer be added. CSGL does that when it starts to get out of hand, or if the league asks them not to put up their games.
18 Frags +

I have your IP address. You've scrimmed on my server, and your connection is in my server logs. It's not hypothetical, I actually have your IP. And that's somehow your fault for failing to protect it? Get real dude. Seriously, blaming the player for getting DDOS'd is ridiculous in TF2.

https://www.skial.com/sourcebans/index.php?p=banlist&advSearch=xxBOBSAGET_&advType=name

I don't know who this guy is, but he was griefing in a SKIAL pub in 2013, so his IP is on a database you can search by SteamID. You can just grab it. It's not even a permanent ban, but his IP is still up there.

[quote=Raytek]It is the player's own responsibility to keep their IP private.[/quote]

I have [b]your[/b] IP address. You've scrimmed on my server, and your connection is in my server logs. It's not hypothetical, I actually have your IP. And that's somehow your fault for failing to protect it? Get real dude. Seriously, blaming the player for getting DDOS'd is ridiculous in TF2.

https://www.skial.com/sourcebans/index.php?p=banlist&advSearch=xxBOBSAGET_&advType=name

I don't know who this guy is, but he was griefing in a SKIAL pub in 2013, so his IP is on a database you can search by SteamID. You can just grab it. It's not even a permanent ban, but his IP is still up there.
-6 Frags +
pissheadHow would you shut down saloon.tf anyway?

Easy dont pay the domain bills and it goes poof , Or just delete all of the HTML, killing a site is quite easy

[quote=pisshead]How would you shut down saloon.tf anyway?[/quote]
Easy dont pay the domain bills and it goes poof , Or just delete all of the HTML, killing a site is quite easy
2 Frags +

csgo has 10x worse ddosing problems, and it is the general consensus that lounge is worth having despite the ddosing.

csgo has 10x worse ddosing problems, and it is the general consensus that lounge is worth having despite the ddosing.
2 Frags +
SheepylolRaytekIt is the player's own responsibility to keep their IP private.

Or we could just you know, use basic internet security practices and have betting to spark more interest in our game.
That is really the only way to prevent DDOS other than yes - killing off the betting. Abstinence is the answer kids.

[quote=Sheepylol][quote=Raytek]It is the player's own responsibility to keep their IP private.
[/quote]

what? So you are saying everyone who plays in a high level TF2 game from now on has to learn to keep their IP private and that will fix the ddosing? Or we could just you know, not have betting on a game that isn't ready for betting.[/quote]
Or we could just you know, use basic internet security practices and have betting to spark more interest in our game.
That is really the only way to prevent DDOS other than yes - killing off the betting. Abstinence is the answer kids.
-15 Frags +

but that's victim blaming!!!!!!! /s

@smobo, yes it is his fault for not protecting his ip. do you leave your doors unlocked because it's a would-be theif's responsibility to follow the law? you're the one the needs to get real.

[quote=Raytek]It is the player's own responsibility to keep their IP private.[/quote] but that's victim blaming!!!!!!! /s

@smobo, yes it is his fault for not protecting his ip. do you leave your doors unlocked because it's a would-be theif's responsibility to follow the law? you're the one the needs to get real.
-4 Frags +
pissheadHow would you shut down saloon.tf anyway?

Cherry has the power. Its up to him. I don't think we should just close it now however what i'm saying is if prem games are being DDoS'd constantly I think it needs to be shut down.

[quote=pisshead]How would you shut down saloon.tf anyway?[/quote]

Cherry has the power. Its up to him. I don't think we should just close it now however what i'm saying is if prem games are being DDoS'd constantly I think it needs to be shut down.
21 Frags +

Lets not get ahead of ourselves... One player might have been ddos'd, and if so saloon was possibly the reason why.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves... One player [b]might[/b] have been ddos'd, and if so saloon [i]was possibly[/i] the reason why.
-4 Frags +

lets get full hooli post going on

what if i don't have locks on my door? what if the nearest locksmith is 300 miles away?

lets get full hooli post going on

what if i don't have locks on my door? what if the nearest locksmith is 300 miles away?
-1 Frags +

This is actually a real issue that needs to get solved now that NA doesn't have a LAN anymore. Isn't there software that can mask an IP address but not cause a player to lag?

This is actually a real issue that needs to get solved now that NA doesn't have a LAN anymore. Isn't there software that can mask an IP address but not cause a player to lag?
7 Frags +
SheepylolCherry has the power. Its up to him. I don't think we should just close it now however what i'm saying is if prem games are being DDoS'd constantly I think it needs to be shut down.

Why on hell would you shut down a community website because some poor fucker can't handle losing a bet, you're actually just giving him importance he doesn't deserve.

What you need is harsher punishments for people caught red handed, ex: I have seen plenty players still betting on their own games despite it being clear in saloon rules (and I think it was also added to etf2l rules) that you can't bet on yourself, just apply harsh bans (same as cheating) to people found betting on their own games or caught manipulating bets/games, but actually apply them, not only add to the rules and then do nothing about it. .

As for ddos itself, as sonny black said, if someone wants to dos you he will be able to do it no matter what, even without saloon, it has happened before, I knew this cunt in the Portuguese community that ddosed (or so he said) a etf2l final a couple years ago (just for the lols he said), recently he was caught cheating and got banned, my point is, people who ddoss games for losing bets are the same kind of people that would go to the length of cheating in a league, it's all the same kind of scum and the least importance you give them the better. Just keep things going as usual but enforce hard punishments if people are found, nothing else you can do about it.

[quote=Sheepylol]
Cherry has the power. Its up to him. I don't think we should just close it now however what i'm saying is if prem games are being DDoS'd constantly I think it needs to be shut down.[/quote]
Why on hell would you shut down a community website because some poor fucker can't handle losing a bet, you're actually just giving him importance he doesn't deserve.

What you need is harsher punishments for people caught red handed, ex: I have seen plenty players still betting on their own games despite it being clear in saloon rules (and I think it was also added to etf2l rules) that you can't bet on yourself, just apply harsh bans (same as cheating) to people found betting on their own games or caught manipulating bets/games, but actually apply them, not only add to the rules and then do nothing about it. .

As for ddos itself, as sonny black said, if someone wants to dos you he will be able to do it no matter what, even without saloon, it has happened before, I knew this cunt in the Portuguese community that ddosed (or so he said) a etf2l final a couple years ago (just for the lols he said), recently he was caught cheating and got banned, my point is, people who ddoss games for losing bets are the same kind of people that would go to the length of cheating in a league, it's all the same kind of scum and the least importance you give them the better. Just keep things going as usual but enforce hard punishments if people are found, nothing else you can do about it.
0 Frags +

sorry sheepy, but until u guys have concrete proof, I dont think it's plausible to take any kind of action

i think you're jumping to conclusions & besides that shutting down saloon.tf isn't a good solution anyway, imo betting is really good for the community

sorry sheepy, but until u guys have concrete proof, I dont think it's plausible to take any kind of action

i think you're jumping to conclusions & besides that shutting down saloon.tf isn't a good solution anyway, imo betting is really good for the community
6 Frags +
kaidusLets not get ahead of ourselves... One player might have been ddos'd, and if so saloon was possibly the reason why.

00:13 - Alfie | TF2Pickup.net: alle u got quintosh to ddos scrab im calling it
00:13 - Alfie | TF2Pickup.net: http://cdn.steamcommunity.com/economy/emoticon/B1
00:13 - fnx alle: yes
00:14 - Alfie | TF2Pickup.net: sending to sonny black
00:14 - fnx alle: dont report plz

[quote=kaidus]Lets not get ahead of ourselves... One player [b]might[/b] have been ddos'd, and if so saloon [i]was possibly[/i] the reason why.[/quote]
00:13 - Alfie | TF2Pickup.net: alle u got quintosh to ddos scrab im calling it
00:13 - Alfie | TF2Pickup.net: http://cdn.steamcommunity.com/economy/emoticon/B1
00:13 - fnx alle: yes
00:14 - Alfie | TF2Pickup.net: sending to sonny black
00:14 - fnx alle: dont report plz
17 Frags +

I'll chime in here on how to find out who launched a DDoS attack.
First there is a big difference between a DDoS and a DoS. DDoS is a distributed denial of service attack. Distributed because there's usually thousands of botnets sending traffic to your IP address and flooding your network pipe. Even if you had all of their IP's none of them are usually your attackers.

Most routers don't log every single packet that flows through your router either, its not feasible to store hundreds of gigs worth of logs on a little router.
So TL:DR you won't find out who attacked you, because typically its a black hat service that people pay for in bitcoins.

Now if a server gets a DDoS attack, it can be moved over to a DDoS filtering service. This can add 15-20ms of latency to everyone's connection but it does a good job of thwarting the attack.

A player who is attacked often can use a VPN to protect their IP address. VyprVPN has a service meant for eSports with DDoS protection. Unfortunately it does increase the cost of entry for playing in matches.

Although I'm biased about saloon.tf since we sponsor them, shutting them down is not the solution.

I'll chime in here on how to find out who launched a DDoS attack.
First there is a big difference between a DDoS and a DoS. DDoS is a [u]distributed[/u] denial of service attack. Distributed because there's usually thousands of botnets sending traffic to your IP address and flooding your network pipe. Even if you had all of their IP's none of them are usually your attackers.

Most routers don't log every single packet that flows through your router either, its not feasible to store hundreds of gigs worth of logs on a little router.
So TL:DR you won't find out who attacked you, because typically its a black hat service that people pay for in bitcoins.

Now if a server gets a DDoS attack, it can be moved over to a DDoS filtering service. This can add 15-20ms of latency to everyone's connection but it does a good job of thwarting the attack.

A player who is attacked often can use a VPN to protect their IP address. [url=https://www.goldenfrog.com/vyprvpn/gaming-vpn]VyprVPN[/url] has a service meant for eSports with DDoS protection. Unfortunately it does increase the cost of entry for playing in matches.

Although I'm biased about saloon.tf since we sponsor them, shutting them down is not the solution.
0 Frags +

I'm not saying to shut down saloon.tf right now. I am just saying to look out this season for people ddosing to win real life money in later more important games this season. I am trying to say that if important prem games with lots of bets up are getting (ddos'd/dos'd whatever its called) it might be a good idea to shut down saloon.tf until we find a solution to it. I made this thread basically to make people aware that this can and may happen in top prem games. I have tf2's best interests at heart and want people to be careful for the rest of their prem games so they don't end up like scrab.

kaidusOne player might have been ddos'd, and if so saloon was possibly the reason why.

I would say its more than possibly. If there isn't money on the line people really don't have a good reason to ddos games. When there is like 5 buds on the line people are gonna make a real effort to make sure their team wins.

I'm not saying to shut down saloon.tf right now. I am just saying to look out this season for people ddosing to win real life money in later more important games this season. I am trying to say that if important prem games with lots of bets up are getting (ddos'd/dos'd whatever its called) it might be a good idea to shut down saloon.tf until we find a solution to it. I made this thread basically to make people aware that this can and may happen in top prem games. I have tf2's best interests at heart and want people to be careful for the rest of their prem games so they don't end up like scrab.

[quote=kaidus]One player [b]might[/b] have been ddos'd, and if so saloon [i]was possibly[/i] the reason why.[/quote]

I would say its more than possibly. If there isn't money on the line people really don't have a good reason to ddos games. When there is like 5 buds on the line people are gonna make a real effort to make sure their team wins.
2 Frags +
smoboRaytekIt is the player's own responsibility to keep their IP private.
I have your IP address. You've scrimmed on my server, and your connection is in my server logs. It's not hypothetical, I actually have your IP. And that's somehow your fault for failing to protect it? Get real dude. Seriously, blaming the player for getting DDOS'd is ridiculous in TF2.

You are right about IPs being very hard to hide since they are logged on basically every server, but that doesn't mean players should ignore basic safety measures to weed out the easiest exploits to get a user's IP.

1. Don't use IRC without protection (VERY important):
When you join a channel in most IRC servers, your IP can be grabbed with minimal effort. How to protect yourself differs from server to server, use google. A bouncer is the best protection.

2. Don't accept random skype/steam calls. Steam/skype voice calls are P2P so they can get your IP from this.

3. Don't click fishy links. Could be an IP grabber.

Just a little bit of common sense will protect you from most vulnerabilities, having to do further than basic efforts scares away most script kiddies.

For preventing server ddoses:

1. Go offline on steam (otherwise the IP will be shown in "view game info") BEFORE joining a server.
2. Don't use serveme.tf servers. They are great, but they are also not protected.
3. Server cvar "hide_server 1" so it doesn't show up in the server browser.

[quote=smobo][quote=Raytek]It is the player's own responsibility to keep their IP private.[/quote]

I have [b]your[/b] IP address. You've scrimmed on my server, and your connection is in my server logs. It's not hypothetical, I actually have your IP. And that's somehow your fault for failing to protect it? Get real dude. Seriously, blaming the player for getting DDOS'd is ridiculous in TF2.

I don't know who this guy is, but he was griefing in a SKIAL pub in 2013, so his IP is on a database you can search by SteamID. You can just grab it. It's not even a permanent ban, but his IP is still up there.[/quote]

You are right about IPs being very hard to hide since they are logged on basically every server, but that doesn't mean players should ignore basic safety measures to weed out the easiest exploits to get a user's IP.

1. Don't use IRC without protection (VERY important):
When you join a channel in most IRC servers, your IP can be grabbed with minimal effort. How to protect yourself differs from server to server, use google. A bouncer is the best protection.

2. Don't accept random skype/steam calls. Steam/skype voice calls are P2P so they can get your IP from this.

3. Don't click fishy links. Could be an IP grabber.

Just a little bit of common sense will protect you from most vulnerabilities, having to do further than basic efforts scares away most script kiddies.

For preventing server ddoses:

1. Go offline on steam (otherwise the IP will be shown in "view game info") BEFORE joining a server.
2. Don't use serveme.tf servers. They are great, but they are also not protected.
3. Server cvar "hide_server 1" so it doesn't show up in the server browser.
1 Frags +

5 buds =~ $33/£21/€30

5 buds =~ $33/£21/€30
-1 Frags +

Sheepy, this isn't the first time DDoS's have happened in league matches. ESEA-O and IM finals have a history of being DDoS'd.

It's happened to you now and that's why you care, not because "it's going to kill tf2".

Sheepy, this isn't the first time DDoS's have happened in league matches. ESEA-O and IM finals have a history of being DDoS'd.

It's happened to you now and that's why you care, not because "it's going to kill tf2".
1 2 3
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.