2 Frags +

anyone here read the warriors books theyve been my best friends over the years
i also just got blood of olympus

Show Content
final book in heroes of olympus series

after a real fuckin long time
gonna be dank

anyone here read the warriors books theyve been my best friends over the years
i also just got blood of olympus [spoiler]final book in heroes of olympus series[/spoiler]after a real fuckin long time
gonna be dank
1 Frags +

I'm gonna leave a few recommendations for books

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series is extremely addictive, Stieg Larrson tells one of the most intense and unbelievable stories I've ever read

I loved "A Farewell to Arms" even if the entire book was depressing. I'd go so far as to say Hemingway is my favorite author

I'm gonna leave a few recommendations for books

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series is extremely addictive, Stieg Larrson tells one of the most intense and unbelievable stories I've ever read

I loved "A Farewell to Arms" even if the entire book was depressing. I'd go so far as to say Hemingway is my favorite author
4 Frags +

Sorry don't know shit about philosophy other than Plato's Republic. But I recently picked up The Count of Monte Cristo on a whim and ended up finishing it in like 4 days. Stellar fuckin book

Sorry don't know shit about philosophy other than Plato's Republic. But I recently picked up The Count of Monte Cristo on a whim and ended up finishing it in like 4 days. Stellar fuckin book
-6 Frags +

only books ive read was the entire diary of a wimpy kid series, captain underpants and all of the percy jackson and hunger games books

only books ive read was the entire diary of a wimpy kid series, captain underpants and all of the percy jackson and hunger games books
-3 Frags +

im also into the alex rider books theyre alright

im also into the alex rider books theyre alright
0 Frags +

sorry woogie but I can safely say that the only thing you can get from blood of olympus is a half-decent sense of closure

sorry woogie but I can safely say that the only thing you can get from blood of olympus is a half-decent sense of closure
0 Frags +
Wholegrainsorry woogie but I can safely say that the only thing you can get from blood of olympus is a half-decent sense of closure

:(

[quote=Wholegrain]sorry woogie but I can safely say that the only thing you can get from blood of olympus is a half-decent sense of closure[/quote]

:(
4 Frags +

I had this big post written down when my internet crashed, so I'll sum it up real quick here:

Anything by Borges, To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf (though I lost that book at a party because I forgot I was carrying it around with me in my coat so I haven't finished it), Beckett's trilogy (Molloy, Malone Dies, The Unnamable) etc.

As for philosophy: Sein und Zeit by Heidegger, L'Etranger by Camus (though this is really more of a novel) as well as the stuff Foucault wrote on language and sexuality.

Translations are always going to be an issue when it comes to philosophy or anything really (see poststructuralism and shit), so unless you know French or German you'll have to compromise with most of these books.

Hope this was helpful, it seems like you already have some good books lined up for this summer.

I had this big post written down when my internet crashed, so I'll sum it up real quick here:

Anything by Borges, To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf (though I lost that book at a party because I forgot I was carrying it around with me in my coat so I haven't finished it), Beckett's trilogy (Molloy, Malone Dies, The Unnamable) etc.

As for philosophy: Sein und Zeit by Heidegger, L'Etranger by Camus (though this is really more of a novel) as well as the stuff Foucault wrote on language and sexuality.

Translations are always going to be an issue when it comes to philosophy or anything really (see poststructuralism and shit), so unless you know French or German you'll have to compromise with most of these books.

Hope this was helpful, it seems like you already have some good books lined up for this summer.
1 Frags +

Surreal Numbers by Donald Knuth, a nice read if you're into maths.

I plan to finish Knuth's Concrete Mathematics and The Art of Computer Programming (the one on combinatorics) some day.

Surreal Numbers by Donald Knuth, a nice read if you're into maths.

I plan to finish Knuth's Concrete Mathematics and The Art of Computer Programming (the one on combinatorics) some day.
0 Frags +

22/11/63 hawking

22/11/63 hawking
2 Frags +
wheatchampionI had this big post written down when my internet crashed, so I'll sum it up real quick here:

I've gotten in the habit of of copying my posts before I hit send on any post bigger than a line or two. It's saved me a few times, because if something happens to my internet or the website I'm posting on I can just paste it on Word until I can post without issue.

Also, Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series is amazing. I definitely suggest anyone who enjoys humor, noir, or urban fantasy to check them out. Books 1-3 are solid Bs and the rest of the series thus far is A all the way.

Finally, check out Hugh Laurie's The Gun Seller. It's the funniest action book I've ever read. There is more than a hint of military to it.

[quote=wheatchampion]I had this big post written down when my internet crashed, so I'll sum it up real quick here:[/quote]

I've gotten in the habit of of copying my posts before I hit send on any post bigger than a line or two. It's saved me a few times, because if something happens to my internet or the website I'm posting on I can just paste it on Word until I can post without issue.

Also, Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series is amazing. I definitely suggest anyone who enjoys humor, noir, or urban fantasy to check them out. Books 1-3 are solid Bs and the rest of the series thus far is A all the way.

Finally, check out Hugh Laurie's [i]The Gun Seller[/i]. It's the funniest action book I've ever read. There is more than a hint of military to it.
2 Frags +

If you like Jungian stuff "King, Warrior, Magician, Lover" is ok. It's got some nutty ideas but it's still really interesting and a good intro to Jungian psychology.
As for philosophy, I recommend Meditations by Marcus Aurelius and Discourses by Epictetus. Meditations is a more of a casual read, it's a collection of his notes/ideas throughout his life as a roman emperor. i prefer the Gregory Hays translation. As for Epictetus you can read the Enchiridion or "handbook" to see if you like it before getting into the discourses. I prefer the Robin Hard translation.
48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene is really good if you're at all interesting in politics or human psychology in general. Greene takes moments in history as uses them to paint the 48 laws, super fun read.
Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari looks good too, I just started but it's super interesting. It outlines the evolution of mankind and society.
I don't read much fiction but The Old Man and The Sea is prob my favorite, it's a short read.

If you like Jungian stuff "King, Warrior, Magician, Lover" is ok. It's got some nutty ideas but it's still really interesting and a good intro to Jungian psychology.
As for philosophy, I recommend Meditations by Marcus Aurelius and Discourses by Epictetus. Meditations is a more of a casual read, it's a collection of his notes/ideas throughout his life as a roman emperor. i prefer the Gregory Hays translation. As for Epictetus you can read the Enchiridion or "handbook" to see if you like it before getting into the discourses. I prefer the Robin Hard translation.
48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene is really good if you're at all interesting in politics or human psychology in general. Greene takes moments in history as uses them to paint the 48 laws, super fun read.
Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari looks good too, I just started but it's super interesting. It outlines the evolution of mankind and society.
I don't read much fiction but The Old Man and The Sea is prob my favorite, it's a short read.
3 Frags +
wheatchampion L'Etranger by Camus (though this is really more of a novel) as well as the stuff Foucault wrote on language and sexuality.

10/10

Classic dystopian litterature is always good :

Brave New World by Huxley
1984 or Animal Farm by Orwell

Lighter note : Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

Intrigue : Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco

Cant go wrong with something from this list if you follow your preference in genre :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Monde%27s_100_Books_of_the_Century

[quote=wheatchampion] L'Etranger by Camus (though this is really more of a novel) as well as the stuff Foucault wrote on language and sexuality. [/quote]

10/10

Classic dystopian litterature is always good :

Brave New World by Huxley
1984 or Animal Farm by Orwell

Lighter note : Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

Intrigue : Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco

Cant go wrong with something from this list if you follow your preference in genre :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Monde%27s_100_Books_of_the_Century
5 Frags +

Currently trying to get through infinite jest after putting it off for years.

Currently trying to get through infinite jest after putting it off for years.
-10 Frags +

i mamm reeeading harry potter and i plan to follow it up with the Hunger Games!

i mamm reeeading harry potter and i plan to follow it up with the Hunger Games!
2 Frags +

romance of the three kingdoms is really good (chinese bias here).

romance of the three kingdoms is really good (chinese bias here).
1 Frags +

I usually stick to fantasy/scifi/horror when it comes to books.

Currently reading the Wheel of Time series for the second time. The series is often compared to LoTR but I find it to be a lot more political and convoluted, so if you can deal with that I'd definitely recommend it. It's a bit drier than I remember but I'm still enjoying it.

If you're more into Scifi/horror check out Simon R. Green's Deathstalker series or his From the Nightside series. Simon's a British author and a lot of the sarcasm/dry British humoUr (heh) makes it into his books.

Deathstalker is a self-described Space Opera and covers a revolution spans across a galaxy. The series rambles along from there and covers a lot of the mythos in the Deathstalker Univers. There's political intrigue, incest, a whole shitload of people dying, literal rivers of blood in some of the scenes, it's great. In the last few books it gets a little Super Saiyan with antagonists and protagonists becoming damn near godlike and a tad formulaic but it's a great "guilty pleasure" read in my opinion.

Nightside is about a private eye in a town called the Nightside, full of demons, angels, and other assorted horror tropes. A lot shorter than the Deathstalker series, Nightside is still a powerful Personal favorite set of books, will probably be rereading em again soon.

I usually stick to fantasy/scifi/horror when it comes to books.

Currently reading the Wheel of Time series for the second time. The series is often compared to LoTR but I find it to be a lot more political and convoluted, so if you can deal with that I'd definitely recommend it. It's a bit drier than I remember but I'm still enjoying it.

If you're more into Scifi/horror check out Simon R. Green's Deathstalker series or his From the Nightside series. Simon's a British author and a lot of the sarcasm/dry British humoUr (heh) makes it into his books.

[b]Deathstalker[/b] is a self-described Space Opera and covers a revolution spans across a galaxy. The series rambles along from there and covers a lot of the mythos in the Deathstalker Univers. There's political intrigue, incest, a whole shitload of people dying, literal rivers of blood in some of the scenes, it's great. In the last few books it gets a little Super Saiyan with antagonists and protagonists becoming damn near godlike and a tad formulaic but it's a great "guilty pleasure" read in my opinion.

[b]Nightside[/b] is about a private eye in a town called the Nightside, full of demons, angels, and other assorted horror tropes. A lot shorter than the Deathstalker series, Nightside is still a powerful Personal favorite set of books, will probably be rereading em again soon.
0 Frags +

I am reading A Fable by William Faulkner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Fable

I am reading A Fable by William Faulkner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Fable
1 Frags +
BarytaQI usually stick to fantasy/scifi/horror when it comes to books.

Deathstalker is a self-described Space Opera and covers a revolution spans across a galaxy. The series rambles along from there and covers a lot of the mythos in the Deathstalker Univers. There's political intrigue, incest, a whole shitload of people dying, literal rivers of blood in some of the scenes, it's great. In the last few books it gets a little Super Saiyan with antagonists and protagonists becoming damn near godlike and a tad formulaic but it's a great "guilty pleasure" read in my opinion.

Nightside is about a private eye in a town called the Nightside, full of demons, angels, and other assorted horror tropes. A lot shorter than the Deathstalker series, Nightside is still a powerful Personal favorite set of books, will probably be rereading em again soon.

to add on this this the Secret histories series by this author is really good to get into also.

These books are the adventures of Edwin Drood, AKA Shaman Bond (his field name; it is a parody of James Bond's name) and he is a part of the Droods, an ancient family that purportedly watches over the world and protects it from various threats, including supernatural and magical ones. Needless to say, they are wholeheartedly despised by criminals. Each Drood is entrusted with a golden (and, for some time, silver) torc, which bestows a certain "living armour" upon the wearer, giving them nearly unlimited strength, speed, durability and stealth, which can be called up or dispelled at will. The torc also grants the wearer the Sight, allowing him to see through most magical and scientific disguises, translates any language, prevents the user from appearing in any kind of photography, videotaping, or tracking of any kind (including tracking by other Droods), prevents the user's soul from being taken away (by daemons or other creatures of the sort), and a whole host of other abilities.

[quote=BarytaQ]I usually stick to fantasy/scifi/horror when it comes to books.

[b]Deathstalker[/b] is a self-described Space Opera and covers a revolution spans across a galaxy. The series rambles along from there and covers a lot of the mythos in the Deathstalker Univers. There's political intrigue, incest, a whole shitload of people dying, literal rivers of blood in some of the scenes, it's great. In the last few books it gets a little Super Saiyan with antagonists and protagonists becoming damn near godlike and a tad formulaic but it's a great "guilty pleasure" read in my opinion.

[b]Nightside[/b] is about a private eye in a town called the Nightside, full of demons, angels, and other assorted horror tropes. A lot shorter than the Deathstalker series, Nightside is still a powerful Personal favorite set of books, will probably be rereading em again soon.[/quote] to add on this this the Secret histories series by this author is really good to get into also.

These books are the adventures of Edwin Drood, AKA Shaman Bond (his field name; it is a parody of James Bond's name) and he is a part of the Droods, an ancient family that purportedly watches over the world and protects it from various threats, including supernatural and magical ones. Needless to say, they are wholeheartedly despised by criminals. Each Drood is entrusted with a golden (and, for some time, silver) torc, which bestows a certain "living armour" upon the wearer, giving them nearly unlimited strength, speed, durability and stealth, which can be called up or dispelled at will. The torc also grants the wearer the Sight, allowing him to see through most magical and scientific disguises, translates any language, prevents the user from appearing in any kind of photography, videotaping, or tracking of any kind (including tracking by other Droods), prevents the user's soul from being taken away (by daemons or other creatures of the sort), and a whole host of other abilities.
3 Frags +

Sorry for the double bump but i also suggest the Dresden files

Harry Dresden works as the world's only "consulting wizard," accepting supernatural cases from both human and non-human clients, as well as the Chicago PD's Special Investigation unit. As the series progresses, Dresden takes on an increasingly important role in the supernatural world at large as he works to protect the general public, making it difficult for him to get by as a working wizard and private investigator. He finds himself facing off against an increasing variety of creatures (including other wizards), while facing the realization that his various cases may all be tied together behind the scenes.

Sorry for the double bump but i also suggest the Dresden files

Harry Dresden works as the world's only "consulting wizard," accepting supernatural cases from both human and non-human clients, as well as the Chicago PD's Special Investigation unit. As the series progresses, Dresden takes on an increasingly important role in the supernatural world at large as he works to protect the general public, making it difficult for him to get by as a working wizard and private investigator. He finds himself facing off against an increasing variety of creatures (including other wizards), while facing the realization that his various cases may all be tied together behind the scenes.
3 Frags +

Got really into sci fi recently after growing up on fantasy. The 2001-3001 series is absolutely incredible although it does tail off in the third and fourth book. Reading Dune at the moment and that's another must-read; Arthur C Clarke compared it to LotR and I have to say it's a fair comparison. Leigh Brackett's The Long Tomorrow is an odd one for a sci fi story given that it's set in a post apocalyptic Amish America but the setting really works and it's another good read. Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 goes without saying; when I first read it I kept reading the first paragraph over and over it's that good.

Got really into sci fi recently after growing up on fantasy. The 2001-3001 series is absolutely incredible although it does tail off in the third and fourth book. Reading Dune at the moment and that's another must-read; Arthur C Clarke compared it to LotR and I have to say it's a fair comparison. Leigh Brackett's The Long Tomorrow is an odd one for a sci fi story given that it's set in a post apocalyptic Amish America but the setting really works and it's another good read. Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 goes without saying; when I first read it I kept reading the first paragraph over and over it's that good.
4 Frags +

as far as philosophy goes anime already has got you covered

as far as philosophy goes anime already has got you covered
2 Frags +

Last 2 series I've read are The Kingkiller Chronicles (The Name of the Wind) and The Stormlight Archive (The Way of Kings).

If you like medieval fantasy, both series are excellent. Kingkiller Chronicles currently has 2 books out with the 3rd and final supposedly coming next year. The Stormlight Archive also has 2 books out, but it is planned to be a much larger series with 10 books overall. Best I can describe each series would be Kingkiller is like a more adult Harry Potter with an amazing protagonist and Stormlight is fairly similar to Game of Thrones with a massive world and told from many POVs.

Last 2 series I've read are The Kingkiller Chronicles (The Name of the Wind) and The Stormlight Archive (The Way of Kings).

If you like medieval fantasy, both series are excellent. Kingkiller Chronicles currently has 2 books out with the 3rd and final supposedly coming next year. The Stormlight Archive also has 2 books out, but it is planned to be a much larger series with 10 books overall. Best I can describe each series would be Kingkiller is like a more adult Harry Potter with an amazing protagonist and Stormlight is fairly similar to Game of Thrones with a massive world and told from many POVs.
0 Frags +
OrpheusCurrently trying to get through infinite jest after putting it off for years.

best book i've read.

[quote=Orpheus]Currently trying to get through infinite jest after putting it off for years.[/quote]

best book i've read.
0 Frags +

GOOD SHIT I'VE HAD TO READ FOR THE LAST FEW SEMESTERS:

• Kaboom (Matt Gallagher)
  • Shoot an Iraqi (Wafaa Bilal)
  • Beyond Duty (Shannon Meehan)
  • A Wizard of Earthsea (Ursula LeGuin)
  • The Love of the Last Tycoon (R. Scott Fitzgerald)
  • Day of the Locust (Nathaniel West)
  • Starship Troopers (Robert Heinlein)
  • The Forever War (Joe Haldeman)
  • A Wild Sheep Chase (Haruki Murakami)
  • Kiss of the Spider Woman (Manuel Puig)
  • Death of a Salesman (Arthur Miller)

RECOMMENDATIONS OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD:

• On Killing (Lt. Col. Dave Grossman)
  • The Illustrated Man (Ray Bradbury)
  • Johnny Got His Gun (Dalton Trumbo)
  • All Quiet on the Western Front (Erich Remarque)
GOOD SHIT I'VE HAD TO READ FOR THE LAST FEW SEMESTERS:
[list]
[*] Kaboom (Matt Gallagher)
[*] Shoot an Iraqi (Wafaa Bilal)
[*] Beyond Duty (Shannon Meehan)
[*] A Wizard of Earthsea (Ursula LeGuin)
[*] The Love of the Last Tycoon (R. Scott Fitzgerald)
[*] Day of the Locust (Nathaniel West)
[*] Starship Troopers (Robert Heinlein)
[*] The Forever War (Joe Haldeman)
[*] A Wild Sheep Chase (Haruki Murakami)
[*] Kiss of the Spider Woman (Manuel Puig)
[*] Death of a Salesman (Arthur Miller)
[/list]

RECOMMENDATIONS OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD:
[list]
[*] On Killing (Lt. Col. Dave Grossman)
[*] The Illustrated Man (Ray Bradbury)
[*] Johnny Got His Gun (Dalton Trumbo)
[*] All Quiet on the Western Front (Erich Remarque)
[/list]
2 Frags +

The way of men by Jack Donovan is a great read. It's quite short, but it's very interesting and about quite an important topic.

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-JWqHlKpU8]The way of men by Jack Donovan is a great read. It's quite short, but it's very interesting and about quite an important topic.[/url]
0 Frags +

having a blaaast

having a blaaast
0 Frags +

Has anyone read Maximum Ride before?

I remember reading it when I was like 13 and loved it.

Has anyone read Maximum Ride before?

I remember reading it when I was like 13 and loved it.
1 Frags +
TLRLast 2 series I've read are The Kingkiller Chronicles (The Name of the Wind) and The Stormlight Archive (The Way of Kings).

I would say comparing Kingkiller to Harry Potter isn't a great comparison. There's a lot more thought put into the writing imo and a lot of emphasis put on things that aren't just the university. Music is a massive part of the series and is unbelievably well done, acting is also emphasised quite a bit too over sympathy. That said I couldn't really say what I'd properly compare it to, but I feel that Harry Potter is all about the magic and not really anything else. I've not read them in years though so if I read them again I could be wrong. I'm starting the second Stormlight book atm and thoroughly enjoyed the first, though it was a little dry at times, though it's mostly needed to further the plot.

Anyway on to my actual post. The Shannara series' by Terry Brooks are good choices for fantasy novels, as well as The Elenium series by David Eddings. Both don't focus a lot on magic and shit and a good amount on the people themselves, particularly the Eddings books.
On the side of sci-fi I'd highly highly recommend Neal Stephenson, Anathem was a bit heavy but a good read. The Diamond Age is also a great book by him and also has a bit of a philosophical focus.

Overall though I can't recommend the Kingkiller Chronicles enough, they are the best written books I've ever read.

[quote=TLR]Last 2 series I've read are The Kingkiller Chronicles (The Name of the Wind) and The Stormlight Archive (The Way of Kings).

If you like medieval fantasy, both series are excellent. Kingkiller Chronicles currently has 2 books out with the 3rd and final supposedly coming next year. The Stormlight Archive also has 2 books out, but it is planned to be a much larger series with 10 books overall. Best I can describe each series would be Kingkiller is like a more adult Harry Potter with an amazing protagonist and Stormlight is fairly similar to Game of Thrones with a massive world and told from many POVs.[/quote]

I would say comparing Kingkiller to Harry Potter isn't a great comparison. There's a lot more thought put into the writing imo and a lot of emphasis put on things that aren't just the university. Music is a massive part of the series and is unbelievably well done, acting is also emphasised quite a bit too over sympathy. That said I couldn't really say what I'd properly compare it to, but I feel that Harry Potter is all about the magic and not really anything else. I've not read them in years though so if I read them again I could be wrong. I'm starting the second Stormlight book atm and thoroughly enjoyed the first, though it was a little dry at times, though it's mostly needed to further the plot.

Anyway on to my actual post. The Shannara series' by Terry Brooks are good choices for fantasy novels, as well as The Elenium series by David Eddings. Both don't focus a lot on magic and shit and a good amount on the people themselves, particularly the Eddings books.
On the side of sci-fi I'd highly highly recommend Neal Stephenson, Anathem was a bit heavy but a good read. The Diamond Age is also a great book by him and also has a bit of a philosophical focus.

Overall though I can't recommend the Kingkiller Chronicles enough, they are the best written books I've ever read.
2 Frags +

Just a random few

Ray Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451
George Orwell - 1984
Ernest Hemingway - For whom the bell tolls
Vladimir Nabokov - Lolita
Kurt Vonnegut - Slaughterhouse 5
Joseph Heller - Catch 22
Robert A Heinlein - Friday
Isaac Asimov - Robot Dreams
Phillip K Dick - Ubik
Robert A Heinlein - The moon is a harsh mistress
Lao Tzu - Tao te ching

More recent stuff:
Brandon Sanderson - Stormlight Archive
Brandon Sanderson - Mistborn Series
David Mitchell - Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet

Just a random few

Ray Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451
George Orwell - 1984
Ernest Hemingway - For whom the bell tolls
Vladimir Nabokov - Lolita
Kurt Vonnegut - Slaughterhouse 5
Joseph Heller - Catch 22
Robert A Heinlein - Friday
Isaac Asimov - Robot Dreams
Phillip K Dick - Ubik
Robert A Heinlein - The moon is a harsh mistress
Lao Tzu - Tao te ching

More recent stuff:
Brandon Sanderson - Stormlight Archive
Brandon Sanderson - Mistborn Series
David Mitchell - Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet
1 2
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.