Upvote Upvoted 0 Downvote Downvoted
Major computer problems, in search of diagnosis
posted in Hardware
0 Frags +

Hey guys, I tried googling but no one else really seems to have my specific situation. It started with CS:GO crashing rather frequently in the past two weeks. It was kind of a unique crash because every time it happened, a certain vpk would get corrupted and I would have to validate. It was not limited to one file, though. Sometimes the map I was playing on would get corrupted. It then escalated to all games crashing but not with the following file corruption. Just last night all of my chrome's plug-ins and extensions crashed on start up, even though I did not update or change it. I ran memtest for around 5 hours last night with no signs of memory corruption which confused me because it's what I was sure it was. I ran check disk on windows and had it fix any errors it might encounter and that also yielded no results. So, I decided to ask you guys. Other things I've tried:
-reinstall all games (failed)
-reinstall steam (failed)
-reinstall windows (failed)
-fresh install on my HDD (failed)
-setting games to default settings and launch options (failed)
-HDD and SSD defrag (failed)
should I try anything else or should I test some other RAM sticks now?
Also looking for other possible problems and things I should try.
Thanks in advance.

Hey guys, I tried googling but no one else really seems to have my specific situation. It started with CS:GO crashing rather frequently in the past two weeks. It was kind of a unique crash because every time it happened, a certain vpk would get corrupted and I would have to validate. It was not limited to one file, though. Sometimes the map I was playing on would get corrupted. It then escalated to all games crashing but not with the following file corruption. Just last night all of my chrome's plug-ins and extensions crashed on start up, even though I did not update or change it. I ran memtest for around 5 hours last night with no signs of memory corruption which confused me because it's what I was sure it was. I ran check disk on windows and had it fix any errors it might encounter and that also yielded no results. So, I decided to ask you guys. Other things I've tried:
-reinstall all games (failed)
-reinstall steam (failed)
-reinstall windows (failed)
-fresh install on my HDD (failed)
-setting games to default settings and launch options (failed)
-HDD and SSD defrag (failed)
should I try anything else or should I test some other RAM sticks now?
Also looking for other possible problems and things I should try.
Thanks in advance.
-4 Frags +

ESEA client

ESEA client
2 Frags +
sleeepyESEA client

I don't have it installed.

[quote=sleeepy]ESEA client[/quote]
I don't have it installed.
4 Frags +

how old is your ssd? also you shouldn't really defrag an ssd

how old is your ssd? also you shouldn't really defrag an ssd
-1 Frags +
quintoshhow old is your ssd? also you shouldn't really defrag an ssd

The SSD is around 2 years old, but I read that most SSD's don't gradually die, but rather instantaneously. And the defrag was just kind of a last resort at trying something.

[quote=quintosh]how old is your ssd? also you shouldn't really defrag an ssd[/quote]
The SSD is around 2 years old, but I read that most SSD's don't gradually die, but rather instantaneously. And the defrag was just kind of a last resort at trying something.
0 Frags +

SSDs don't use mechanical platters and therefore don't have seek times. Defragmenting does nothing for an SSD except shorten it's lifespan.

Try pulling the SSD and installing everything on the HD?

SSDs don't use mechanical platters and therefore don't have seek times. Defragmenting does nothing for an SSD except shorten it's lifespan.

Try pulling the SSD and installing everything on the HD?
1 Frags +

Sounds like a hardware problem. I don't think it's the disk itself, but it might be the motherboard which has a fault when it tries to access it. My last computer had a similar problem, it worked fine until sometimes when I did something that meant accessing a file it would freeze up. The same disks worked fine in my new computer, so I guessed it was the motherboard or PSU. Hard to diagnose without having parts to swap in.

Anecdotally, I ended up having to buy a whole new computer with better specs so it all worked out in the end, and in testing it out I went through some un-played games in my Steam Library including TF2 which is now my favourite game after spending four years uninstalled after buying the Orange box.

Sounds like a hardware problem. I don't think it's the disk itself, but it might be the motherboard which has a fault when it tries to access it. My last computer had a similar problem, it worked fine until sometimes when I did something that meant accessing a file it would freeze up. The same disks worked fine in my new computer, so I guessed it was the motherboard or PSU. Hard to diagnose without having parts to swap in.

Anecdotally, I ended up having to buy a whole new computer with better specs so it all worked out in the end, and in testing it out I went through some un-played games in my Steam Library including TF2 which is now my favourite game after spending four years uninstalled after buying the Orange box.
3 Frags +

Check SMART.

Check SMART.
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.