Upvote Upvoted 0 Downvote Downvoted
ShadowPlay Question
posted in Hardware
0 Frags +

Hello fellow fraggers...

As you know, the title states that I have a ShadowPlay question. I was just wondering, if I can use it WITHOUT a NVIDIA card? My computer does not have a graphics card and only has a Intel i7. Possible?

[u]Hello fellow fraggers...
[/u]
As you know, the title states that I have a ShadowPlay question. I was just wondering, if I can use it [b]WITHOUT[/b] a NVIDIA card? My computer does not have a graphics card and only has a Intel i7. Possible?
9 Frags +

http://puu.sh/i6pZB.png

[img]http://puu.sh/i6pZB.png[/img]
-1 Frags +

since you dont have a gfx card (do games even run?) you're going to be GPU limited, so intel quick sync from OBS probably won't have a noticeable performance drop running off your cpu.

since you dont have a gfx card (do games even run?) you're going to be GPU limited, so intel quick sync from OBS probably won't have a noticeable performance drop running off your cpu.
1 Frags +
turtsmcgurtssince you dont have a gfx card (do games even run?) you're going to be GPU limited, so intel quick sync from OBS probably won't have a noticeable performance drop running off your cpu.

Quick Sync uses the integrated GPU from your CPU, it isn't actually processed on the CPU itself. Quick Sync will perform poorly if you're using the iGPU for anything else, which you are.

While Quick Sync uses the GPU as a processor, NVENC ("Shadowplay") uses a dedicated encoder on GeForce cards from the 600 series and up. It isn't processed on the GPU, and so has very little performance impact whatsoever, but only functions when that same GPU is being used to draw frames.

Additionally, it's hardware, not special software, so you can't use it on any other platform unless they too have a similar feature. For example, Radon cards have something called VCE (Video Coding Engine) since the 7700 and above generations (incl rebrands).

Non-CPU encoding options are finicky.

EDIT: I apologize, some of my information is wrong. NVENC does not require the GPU that's encoding to be the same GPU rendering frames. If you have a GeForce card installed, but you're actually rendering the content with a different GPU, such as your onboard GPU, you can encode that content with NVENC. You can also encode standard video with NVENC - ffmpeg has NVENC support.

However, you still need to capture those frames in the first place. NVENC is not a replacement for a capture card. You still need to capture frames with either the CPU (via something like FRAPS, equivalent to OBS Window or Monitor capture), or by duplicating each frame with the GPU (via something like dxtory, or equivalent to OBS Game capture) before those frames can be sent to the NVENC chip. This usually results in about a 10% performance hit with the latter, and a much larger hit with the former, environment depending. ShadowPlay supports both modes, although the standard form of ShadowPlay uses the dxtory-like method, which explains the slight performance hit.

The only requirement for NVENC to function is that you both have an NVIDIA GPU with an NVENC chip onboard (GeForce 600 series or later), and that you have the appropriate GeForce video driver installed so that programs can communicate with the proprietary NVENC API.

Theoretically, you could run a game on the Intel GPU and encode with NVENC, although I don't know why you'd ever want to do that. However, a much more plausible scenario would be buying a really cheap NVENC-equipped card simply for NVENC, while using a much more powerful card from a different platform. Say for example you're running dual R9 290s - you could buy a 750 Ti for encoding, which is cheaper than buying a full encoder card, although you'll have to worry about the nightmare involved with getting both drivers to install side-by-side properly.

Speaking of which, that's a really fucking cool thing. Encoder cards that are capable of what NVENC is capable of (Kepler can do H.264 1080p 240fps, first-gen Maxwell (750, 750 Ti) can do 1080p 480fps, second-gen Maxwell (900 series) can do both H.264 and H.265 4K 60fps) are fucking expensive. Buying a cheap 750 Ti for up to 480fps at 1080p (lower framerates giving better quality), which costs $130 and can take up only a single slot with no external PCI-E power needed, is really really cool. NVIDIA should totally put out a cheap NVENC card, it would sell really fucking well.

EDIT2: I apologize again. Apparently, Quick Sync is actually its own ASIC SIP on the CPU die as well, similar to NVENC. It isn't part of the GPU and it should be able to run at the same time as the GPU. It isn't as high quality as NVENC, but if you're running on an Intel GPU I don't think you'll mind. It doesn't have a Shadowplay-like implementation as far as I know though, it really can only be used as an encoder. Maybe someone out there has written a program that caches 5 minutes of capture, encoded with QS?

EDIT3: Afterburner provides a feature similar to Shadowplay. It allows you to have a constant pre-record going on, with a manual buffer size, and allows you to save that buffer size and anything further with a hotkey. It supports both NVENC and Quick Sync for encoding. I don't know how well it performs though, I'll test the feature later today.

[quote=turtsmcgurts]since you dont have a gfx card (do games even run?) you're going to be GPU limited, so intel quick sync from OBS probably won't have a noticeable performance drop running off your cpu.[/quote]
Quick Sync uses the integrated GPU from your CPU, it isn't actually processed on the CPU itself. Quick Sync will perform poorly if you're using the iGPU for anything else, which you are.

While Quick Sync uses the GPU as a processor, NVENC ("Shadowplay") uses a dedicated encoder on GeForce cards from the 600 series and up. It isn't processed on the GPU, and so has very little performance impact whatsoever, but only functions when that same GPU is being used to draw frames.

Additionally, it's hardware, not special software, so you can't use it on any other platform unless they too have a similar feature. For example, Radon cards have something called VCE (Video Coding Engine) since the 7700 and above generations (incl rebrands).

Non-CPU encoding options are finicky.

EDIT: I apologize, some of my information is wrong. NVENC does [i]not[/i] require the GPU that's encoding to be the same GPU rendering frames. If you have a GeForce card installed, but you're actually rendering the content with a different GPU, such as your onboard GPU, you [i]can[/i] encode that content with NVENC. You can also encode standard video with NVENC - ffmpeg has NVENC support.

However, you still need to [i]capture[/i] those frames in the first place. NVENC is [i]not[/i] a replacement for a capture card. You still need to capture frames with either the CPU (via something like FRAPS, equivalent to OBS Window or Monitor capture), or by duplicating each frame with the GPU (via something like dxtory, or equivalent to OBS Game capture) before those frames can be sent to the NVENC chip. This usually results in about a 10% performance hit with the latter, and a much larger hit with the former, environment depending. ShadowPlay supports both modes, although the standard form of ShadowPlay uses the dxtory-like method, which explains the slight performance hit.

The only requirement for NVENC to function is that you both have an NVIDIA GPU with an NVENC chip onboard (GeForce 600 series or later), [i]and[/i] that you have the appropriate GeForce video driver installed so that programs can communicate with the proprietary NVENC API.

Theoretically, you could run a game on the Intel GPU and encode with NVENC, although I don't know why you'd ever want to do that. However, a much more plausible scenario would be buying a really cheap NVENC-equipped card simply for NVENC, while using a much more powerful card from a different platform. Say for example you're running dual R9 290s - you could buy a 750 Ti for encoding, which is cheaper than buying a full encoder card, although you'll have to worry about the nightmare involved with getting both drivers to install side-by-side properly.

Speaking of which, that's a really fucking cool thing. Encoder cards that are capable of what NVENC is capable of (Kepler can do H.264 1080p 240fps, first-gen Maxwell (750, 750 Ti) can do 1080p 480fps, second-gen Maxwell (900 series) can do both H.264 and H.265 4K 60fps) are fucking [i]expensive[/i]. Buying a cheap 750 Ti for up to 480fps at 1080p (lower framerates giving better quality), which costs $130 and can take up only a single slot with no external PCI-E power needed, is really really cool. NVIDIA should totally put out a cheap NVENC card, it would sell really fucking well.

EDIT2: I apologize again. Apparently, Quick Sync is actually its own ASIC SIP on the CPU die as well, similar to NVENC. It isn't part of the GPU and it should be able to run at the same time as the GPU. It isn't as high quality as NVENC, but if you're running on an Intel GPU I don't think you'll mind. It doesn't have a Shadowplay-like implementation as far as I know though, it really can only be used as an encoder. Maybe someone out there has written a program that caches 5 minutes of capture, encoded with QS?

EDIT3: Afterburner provides a feature similar to Shadowplay. It allows you to have a constant pre-record going on, with a manual buffer size, and allows you to save that buffer size and anything further with a hotkey. It supports both NVENC and Quick Sync for encoding. I don't know how well it performs though, I'll test the feature later today.
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.