Upvote Upvoted 6 Downvote Downvoted
TF2 minimizes but does not close; cant play after
posted in Q/A Help
3 Frags +

So I've been having this issue for awhile now but assumed it would eventually go away after changing several settings however it has persisted.

The issue is this: My game will randomly minimize to desktop however it won't close. The steps it goes through are... 1. Freezes temporarily, 2. Flashes to a black screen for a few seconds, 3. Game seems to minimize to desktop, 4. With the TF2 icon still open in the bottom left hand corner, the game is clearly still open as I can hear and everyone can still see me in game moving however I cannot bring my game back up I just see my desktop that is all. My mouse cursor is also missing which means somehow it is still in the game. The way I get out of game is by hitting ESC and typing quit or CTRL+ALT+DEL and closed hl2.exe.

Now I have tried several different things always assuming I would be able to fix it with each change.
1. Removed my old config
2. Switched to DX9
3. Removed all launch options
4. Verified integrity of cache
5. Defrag'd game cache
6. Completely deleted my TF2 folder and started completely fresh

None of these worked.

I also tried this on another steam account and it seemed that the problem was not happening however after awhile it finally started taking place again. However, I've noticed sometimes on differnt steam account the game will occasionally come back up after awhile but it seems hit or miss.

I've tried finding something on google about this and found one thread on steam forums but there was no answers in the thread. Any ideas folks?? I will love you if you can rid me of this issue.

Edit steam thread -
http://forums.steampowered.com/maintenance.html?t=1929343
(towards the bottom)

So I've been having this issue for awhile now but assumed it would eventually go away after changing several settings however it has persisted.

The issue is this: My game will randomly minimize to desktop however it won't close. The steps it goes through are... 1. Freezes temporarily, 2. Flashes to a black screen for a few seconds, 3. Game seems to minimize to desktop, 4. With the TF2 icon still open in the bottom left hand corner, the game is clearly still open as I can hear and everyone can still see me in game moving however I cannot bring my game back up I just see my desktop that is all. My mouse cursor is also missing which means somehow it is still in the game. The way I get out of game is by hitting ESC and typing quit or CTRL+ALT+DEL and closed hl2.exe.

Now I have tried several different things always assuming I would be able to fix it with each change.
1. Removed my old config
2. Switched to DX9
3. Removed all launch options
4. Verified integrity of cache
5. Defrag'd game cache
6. Completely deleted my TF2 folder and started completely fresh

None of these worked.

I also tried this on another steam account and it seemed that the problem was not happening however after awhile it finally started taking place again. However, I've noticed sometimes on differnt steam account the game will occasionally come back up after awhile but it seems hit or miss.

I've tried finding something on google about this and found one thread on steam forums but there was no answers in the thread. Any ideas folks?? I will love you if you can rid me of this issue.

Edit steam thread -
http://forums.steampowered.com/maintenance.html?t=1929343
(towards the bottom)
-1 Frags +

What happens if you type "retry" instead of "quit" in console? That should work equivalent to vid_restart in quake, I think.

What happens if you type "retry" instead of "quit" in console? That should work equivalent to vid_restart in quake, I think.
-1 Frags +

I will try that next time it occurs and report back.

I will try that next time it occurs and report back.
-1 Frags +
atmoWhat happens if you type "retry" instead of "quit" in console? That should work equivalent to vid_restart in quake, I think.

"retry" reconnects to what ever server you're in if that's what your describing.

@shade Does this happen in any other games?

[quote=atmo]What happens if you type "retry" instead of "quit" in console? That should work equivalent to vid_restart in quake, I think.[/quote]
"retry" reconnects to what ever server you're in if that's what your describing.

@shade Does this happen in any other games?
-1 Frags +

Try running in windowed mode?

Try running in windowed mode?
0 Frags +

Since you have already reinstalled TF2 I suggest removing everything related to your graphics card (nvidia/ati). Get the newest version of the beta drivers and try a fresh install, seems like this is a problem with your windows and not TF2.

Also check to see if there are any Windows Updates that you haven't installed.

Since you have already reinstalled TF2 I suggest removing everything related to your graphics card (nvidia/ati). Get the newest version of the beta drivers and try a fresh install, seems like this is a problem with your windows and not TF2.

Also check to see if there are any Windows Updates that you haven't installed.
-1 Frags +

Have you tried combinations of ALT+TAB?

After you've ended hl2.exe does the Friends window show you as in game still?

Have you tried combinations of ALT+TAB?

After you've ended hl2.exe does the Friends window show you as in game still?
-1 Frags +

This could also be an issue with Desktop Window Manager, goto start and type services.msc, double click Desktop Window Manager and stop the service then change startup type to disabled.

This could also be an issue with Desktop Window Manager, goto start and type services.msc, double click Desktop Window Manager and stop the service then change startup type to disabled.
7 Frags +

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOFTwY3d7-U

I'm sorry it seemed so fitting

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOFTwY3d7-U[/youtube]

I'm sorry it seemed so fitting
-1 Frags +

Go to taskmanager

Find Team Fortress 2 in the Applications tab

Right cilck

Click, Bring to Front.

Go to taskmanager

Find Team Fortress 2 in the Applications tab

Right cilck

Click, Bring to Front.
0 Frags +

@drew... Not that I have noticed but the only other games I've played are Binding of Isaac and Castle Crashers but I have not had the issue in those.

@hooky... Tried running in windowed mode and in fullscreen mode same issue on both. Tried windowed with and without border on too same thing.

@techdude... It has occasionally done that. It doesn't do it every single time I end the process though. Not sure what that would mean since it does not seem to be consistent. However, I would say it does tend to close a majority of the time. And yes I've tried tabbing combos and hitting damn near every button on the keyboard to get it back up.

@java... I'll check everything you mentioned.

@jp... I THINK I've tried this but I can't remember fully so I'll try it out and see if it works again.

Thanks for the help thus far I'll try out everything mentioned and see if it fixes anything. Also...@bot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJdjv7Krpl0&t=4m7s

@drew... Not that I have noticed but the only other games I've played are Binding of Isaac and Castle Crashers but I have not had the issue in those.

@hooky... Tried running in windowed mode and in fullscreen mode same issue on both. Tried windowed with and without border on too same thing.

@techdude... It has occasionally done that. It doesn't do it every single time I end the process though. Not sure what that would mean since it does not seem to be consistent. However, I would say it does tend to close a majority of the time. And yes I've tried tabbing combos and hitting damn near every button on the keyboard to get it back up.

@java... I'll check everything you mentioned.

@jp... I THINK I've tried this but I can't remember fully so I'll try it out and see if it works again.

Thanks for the help thus far I'll try out everything mentioned and see if it fixes anything. Also...@bot

-1 Frags +

Try a different WHQL driver if you're on nvidia. The last beta driver I tried caused problems with TF2.

Try a different WHQL driver if you're on nvidia. The last beta driver I tried caused problems with TF2.
-1 Frags +

oh yeah, close all other applications.

oh yeah, close all other applications.
0 Frags +

It happened to me for a while, annoying as fuck.
I always use dx8, if you do, try this:

TF2 Properties> Set Launch Options> type -dxlevel 81

launch TF2.

While TF2 is open, go to Set Launch Options again, delete "-dxlevel 81", close launch options and close the game.

Launch again and see how alt+tab works.

It worked for me

It happened to me for a while, annoying as fuck.
I always use dx8, if you do, try this:

TF2 Properties> Set Launch Options> type -dxlevel 81

launch TF2.

While TF2 is open, go to Set Launch Options again, delete "-dxlevel 81", close launch options and close the game.

Launch again and see how alt+tab works.

It worked for me
-1 Frags +
shade Also...@bot

I forgot about that O.O
twice to the same roamer? that's harsh hilarious

[quote=shade] Also...@bot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJdjv7Krpl0&t=4m7s[/quote]

I forgot about that O.O
twice to the same roamer? that's [s]harsh[/s] hilarious
-1 Frags +

- Switch between dx 80 and 81, do not use 90 depending on your VGA model

-
1)Go to NVidia Control Panel
2)Select Manage 3D settings
3)Turn Threaded Optimisation to 'off'

Got it from here: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:UWNudirlHGgJ:forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php%3Ft%3D2478390+&cd=17&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=br
I assume it's exactly your issue.

- Switch between dx 80 and 81, do not use 90 depending on your VGA model

-
1)Go to NVidia Control Panel
2)Select Manage 3D settings
3)Turn Threaded Optimisation to 'off'

Got it from here: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:UWNudirlHGgJ:forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php%3Ft%3D2478390+&cd=17&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=br
I assume it's exactly your issue.
0 Frags +

sticking r_unloadlightmaps "0" at the end of autoexec.cfg fixed this for me :) might work for you

sticking r_unloadlightmaps "0" at the end of autoexec.cfg fixed this for me :) might work for you
-1 Frags +

what video card do you have? Is it an nvidia 200 8000 9000 series?

what video card do you have? Is it an nvidia 200 8000 9000 series?
-1 Frags +

I had this issue for months earlier in the year - finally just bought a new video card since it looked like there was no going to be any fix by either side (nvidia/valve) - havent had one problem since.

This has been going on for a VERY long time with certain nvidia cards... I tried every fix in the book before buying a new card, yet that was the only thing that fixed it.

I had this issue for months earlier in the year - finally just bought a new video card since it looked like there was no going to be any fix by either side (nvidia/valve) - havent had one problem since.

This has been going on for a VERY long time with certain nvidia cards... I tried every fix in the book before buying a new card, yet that was the only thing that fixed it.
1 Frags +

Klanana, which vid card does it affect because I've been having these same issues and its driving me crazy. I have a gtx285oc.

Klanana, which vid card does it affect because I've been having these same issues and its driving me crazy. I have a gtx285oc.
-1 Frags +

Tyrone, nvidia 200 8000 and 9000 series cards suffer from this problem. It's a TF2 issue, not universal to other games.

If you have one of these cards and have theses same crash issues you really only have 3 options. Do nothing and continue to get frusterated, play in dx 81 which will eliminate this crash but of course blows if you get hit with the boston basher, or buy a new card. The problem has existed for almost 2 years now, some suffer worse then others from it. nvidia has activly been working on the issue since august according the threads I have read on it, and still haven't sorted it out. My reccomendation is buy a new card.

Tyrone, nvidia 200 8000 and 9000 series cards suffer from this problem. It's a TF2 issue, not universal to other games.

If you have one of these cards and have theses same crash issues you really only have 3 options. Do nothing and continue to get frusterated, play in dx 81 which will eliminate this crash but of course blows if you get hit with the boston basher, or buy a new card. The problem has existed for almost 2 years now, some suffer worse then others from it. nvidia has activly been working on the issue since august according the threads I have read on it, and still haven't sorted it out. My reccomendation is buy a new card.
-1 Frags +

Yeah I had a 9800 - it's honestly easier to just buy a new card.

Yeah I had a 9800 - it's honestly easier to just buy a new card.
4 Frags +

i hear this happens if you are lactating IRL.

i hear this happens if you are lactating IRL.
-3 Frags +

im having the same problem but when i bring tf2 to front all i get is a black box in the top left of my screen

im having the same problem but when i bring tf2 to front all i get is a black box in the top left of my screen
-1 Frags +

Had it when I used GTS250, dxlevel 81 fixed it for me then

Had it when I used GTS250, dxlevel 81 fixed it for me then
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.