Upvote Upvoted 2 Downvote Downvoted
1 2 3
Increasing scout aim
0 Frags +

Hey
I have been playing scout for a little while and I constantly Use mge and sometimes dm servers but I'm not seeing a large improvement in my aim.
I constantly miss close shots but seem to do better at mid range.
I'm hoping for any tips or tricks any help would be welcome.

Hey
I have been playing scout for a little while and I constantly Use mge and sometimes dm servers but I'm not seeing a large improvement in my aim.
I constantly miss close shots but seem to do better at mid range.
I'm hoping for any tips or tricks any help would be welcome.
27 Frags +

practice

practice

practice

there isn't some magical trick to getting better at aiming. just don't change your sensitivity every day and just keep plugging at it and you'll get better eventually.

practice

practice

practice

there isn't some magical trick to getting better at aiming. just don't change your sensitivity every day and just keep plugging at it and you'll get better eventually.
1 Frags +

I do I play constantly but for some reason I also slip up constantly I'm not looking for a magical trick just maybe some simple tips

I do I play constantly but for some reason I also slip up constantly I'm not looking for a magical trick just maybe some simple tips
13 Frags +

wtf

wtf
14 Frags +

Challenge yourself.

Challenge yourself.
6 Frags +

in general, you're more likely to hit your target if your crosshair is close to them before you shoot. so in between shots, you want to glue your crosshair to your target as closely as possible before taking the next shot (unless you have really good flick aim).

also, don't shoot your scattergun as fast as possible. its better to take a little more time to hit the meat (in between chest/waist) and get 2-3 meatshots vs. shooting 4 30-damage shots and missing the rest.

i would recommend playing dm and not so much mge as scout. you want to have solid aim before ad-strafing in your movement.

in general, you're more likely to hit your target if your crosshair is close to them before you shoot. so in between shots, you want to glue your crosshair to your target as closely as possible before taking the next shot (unless you have really good flick aim).

also, don't shoot your scattergun as fast as possible. its better to take a little more time to hit the meat (in between chest/waist) and get 2-3 meatshots vs. shooting 4 30-damage shots and missing the rest.

i would recommend playing dm and not so much mge as scout. you want to have solid aim before ad-strafing in your movement.
0 Frags +

Firstly, make sure your sensitivity is comfortable. I use a 15"/350ish (360 spins are to high for me). So try using a slower sensitivity.

Secondly, take some time to death match or mge. A tip I learned from watching CS is that they play dm servers for like 10-20 minutes. Doing that has helped me. If you MGE, remember that it improves your 1v1 skill a lot more.

Pug's/scims are also a great way to improve not only your aim, but awareness. So if you're on a team, try to get in scrims as often as possible, pugs also help, but are not as great.

Try to challenge yourself and prevent doing a lot of stupid things, when I personally scout I don't like to jump a lot, only time I jump is to steer clear of rockets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svCmXhYxMGc

Something clockwork told me when I asked him this: "Point and click." Good luck and I hope you get better.

Firstly, make sure your sensitivity is comfortable. I use a 15"/350ish (360 spins are to high for me). So try using a slower sensitivity.

Secondly, take some time to death match or mge. A tip I learned from watching CS is that they play dm servers for like 10-20 minutes. Doing that has helped me. If you MGE, remember that it improves your 1v1 skill a lot more.

Pug's/scims are also a great way to improve not only your aim, but awareness. So if you're on a team, try to get in scrims as often as possible, pugs also help, but are not as great.

Try to challenge yourself and prevent doing a lot of stupid things, when I personally scout I don't like to jump a lot, only time I jump is to steer clear of rockets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svCmXhYxMGc

Something clockwork told me when I asked him this: "Point and click." Good luck and I hope you get better.
3 Frags +

Thanks for all the help, It's really appreciated.

Thanks for all the help, It's really appreciated.
4 Frags +

You don't need to be hugging a player to get a meaty shot. You need to be pretty close to do maximum damage, but that isn't always necessary. You said your accuracy at mid range is good, I would say to work on that instead of worrying about hitting people 2 inches away from you.

You don't need to be hugging a player to get a meaty shot. You need to be pretty close to do maximum damage, but that isn't always necessary. You said your accuracy at mid range is good, I would say to work on that instead of worrying about hitting people 2 inches away from you.
-7 Frags +

I personally find that MGE can help your overall scout DM. I personally like badlands middle because there are obstacles for you to use to your advantage against a soldier. I have found that my aim is increasing at slow rate but steady rate. Just keep practicing and don't make the same mistake I made... Don't change your sens all the fucking time. Try to keep your sens @ something you are comfortable with. Anyways good luck dude. :)

EDIT: Also try not to get angry. I found that if I am angry I tend to play worse. Try to be happy/in a good mood. Hope this advice helps :)

I personally find that MGE can help your overall scout DM. I personally like badlands middle because there are obstacles for you to use to your advantage against a soldier. I have found that my aim is increasing at slow rate but steady rate. Just keep practicing and don't make the same mistake I made... Don't change your sens all the fucking time. Try to keep your sens @ something you are comfortable with. Anyways good luck dude. :)

EDIT: Also try not to get angry. I found that if I am angry I tend to play worse. Try to be happy/in a good mood. Hope this advice helps :)
RGB LAN
3 Frags +

MGE pretty much forced me to stop twitch aiming and use a lot more strafe aiming. After I became pretty accustomed to that, I made a mindful effort to replicate a lot of what I was doing in MGE into pugs and such.

But yeah, there's no big secret to improving your aim other than to keep practicing.

MGE pretty much forced me to stop twitch aiming and use a lot more strafe aiming. After I became pretty accustomed to that, I made a mindful effort to replicate a lot of what I was doing in MGE into pugs and such.

But yeah, there's no big secret to improving your aim other than to keep practicing.
4 Frags +

confidence

confidence
64 Frags +

be the scattergun
feel the scattergun
caress the scattergun
take the scattergun on a date

be the scattergun
feel the scattergun
caress the scattergun
take the scattergun on a date
0 Frags +
TheFragileMGE pretty much forced me to stop twitch aiming and use a lot more strafe aiming. After I became pretty accustomed to that, I made a mindful effort to replicate a lot of what I was doing in MGE into pugs and such.

I'm really reliant on movement for hitting shots because of playing way too much MGE and I wish I wasn't. I'd say practice DM so you don't fall into the habit of playing scout v scout where you try to learn people's movement patterns instead of being able to track/flick to them.

[quote=TheFragile]MGE pretty much forced me to stop twitch aiming and use a lot more strafe aiming. After I became pretty accustomed to that, I made a mindful effort to replicate a lot of what I was doing in MGE into pugs and such.

But yeah, there's no big secret to improving your aim other than to keep practicing.[/quote]I'm really reliant on movement for hitting shots because of playing way too much MGE and I wish I wasn't. I'd say practice DM so you don't fall into the habit of playing scout v scout where you try to learn people's movement patterns instead of being able to track/flick to them.
4 Frags +

Just play dm if you want to practice your aim. Also, you shouldn't worry too much about your dm unless you're like me and have terrible hand-eye coordination, you'll get better as you play more.

MGE is pretty useless IMO.

Just play dm if you want to practice your aim. Also, you shouldn't worry too much about your dm unless you're like me and have terrible hand-eye coordination, you'll get better as you play more.

MGE is pretty useless IMO.
2 Frags +

changing your sensitivity a small amount every now and then shouldn't affect your progress too much but if you are changing the way your hand moves the mouse every 2 weeks then you aren't going to get anywhere

changing your sensitivity a small amount every now and then shouldn't affect your progress too much but if you are changing the way your hand moves the mouse every 2 weeks then you aren't going to get anywhere
0 Frags +

don't play DM/MGE for any longer than an hour or so at a stretch [depending on personal tolerance—some people only ever do 15-20 minutes, some people can play all day; know your limit], you'll start to get tired of it and do worse and become frustrated and then do even worse and etc.

a lot of deathmatch skill comes down to natural talent. if you don't have that, you're going to have to practice a whole lot, and you still probably won't be as good. don't worry about trying to win every 1v1; there's more to tf2 than that.

don't play DM/MGE for any longer than an hour or so at a stretch [depending on personal tolerance—some people only ever do 15-20 minutes, some people can play all day; know your limit], you'll start to get tired of it and do worse and become frustrated and then do even worse and etc.

a lot of deathmatch skill comes down to natural talent. if you don't have that, you're going to have to practice a whole lot, and you still probably won't be as good. don't worry about trying to win every 1v1; there's more to tf2 than that.
7 Frags +

p much every scout who got really good really fast and went invite in a couple seasons played ungodly amounts of dm/mge every day on top of pugging/scrimming

its just about practice like most anything in life

p much every scout who got really good really fast and went invite in a couple seasons played ungodly amounts of dm/mge every day on top of pugging/scrimming

1 Frags +

-

-
18 Frags +

120hz monitor

120hz monitor
5 Frags +
ukmp much every scout who got really good really fast and went invite in a couple seasons played ungodly amounts of dm/mge every day on top of pugging/scrimming

the only scouts i can think of
dante
sonmychest

and they both had top tier competitive experience in other games

kiridon't play DM/MGE for any longer than an hour or so at a stretch [depending on personal tolerance—some people only ever do 15-20 minutes, some people can play all day; know your limit], you'll start to get tired of it and do worse and become frustrated and then do even worse and etc.

if you have no prior FPS experience aside from tf2, then dm/mge is ALL YOU SHOULD be playing, if you want to improve your aim.

you only start to do worse once you think you have no chance of winning, set small goals for yourself. set these goals so you will improve a certain aspect of your game.

[quote=ukm]p much every scout who got really good really fast and went invite in a couple seasons played ungodly amounts of dm/mge every day on top of pugging/scrimming

its just about practice like most anything in life[/quote]

the only scouts i can think of
dante
sonmychest

and they both had top tier competitive experience in other games

[quote=kiri]don't play DM/MGE for any longer than an hour or so at a stretch [depending on personal tolerance—some people only ever do 15-20 minutes, some people can play all day; know your limit], you'll start to get tired of it and do worse and become frustrated and then do even worse and etc.

a lot of deathmatch skill comes down to natural talent. if you don't have that, you're going to have to practice a whole lot, and you still probably won't be as good. don't worry about trying to win every 1v1; there's more to tf2 than that.[/quote]

if you have no prior FPS experience aside from tf2, then dm/mge is ALL YOU SHOULD be playing, if you want to improve your aim.

you only start to do worse once you think you have no chance of winning, set small goals for yourself. set these goals so you will improve a certain aspect of your game.
0 Frags +

Like with sensitivity and cfgs, the practice you choose is subjective. If you find yourself improving in games via MGE or DM, go for that. It's important to find the practice that makes your time the most worth it, or else you're just wasting it.

Like with sensitivity and cfgs, the practice you choose is subjective. If you find yourself improving in games via MGE or DM, go for that. It's important to find the practice that makes your time the most worth it, or else you're just wasting it.
RGB LAN
1 Frags +
VortexTheFragileMGE pretty much forced me to stop twitch aiming and use a lot more strafe aiming. After I became pretty accustomed to that, I made a mindful effort to replicate a lot of what I was doing in MGE into pugs and such.But yeah, there's no big secret to improving your aim other than to keep practicing.I'm really reliant on movement for hitting shots because of playing way too much MGE and I wish I wasn't. I'd say practice DM so you don't fall into the habit of playing scout v scout where you try to learn people's movement patterns instead of being able to track/flick to them.

Well, no one should be fixated on strafe aiming completely, considering there are many different situations where strafe aiming isn't possible or viable. But yeah, a mix of MGE and deathmatch servers would help.

[quote=Vortex][quote=TheFragile]MGE pretty much forced me to stop twitch aiming and use a lot more strafe aiming. After I became pretty accustomed to that, I made a mindful effort to replicate a lot of what I was doing in MGE into pugs and such.But yeah, there's no big secret to improving your aim other than to keep practicing.[/quote]I'm really reliant on movement for hitting shots because of playing way too much MGE and I wish I wasn't. I'd say practice DM so you don't fall into the habit of playing scout v scout where you try to learn people's movement patterns instead of being able to track/flick to them.[/quote]

Well, no one should be fixated on strafe aiming completely, considering there are many different situations where strafe aiming isn't possible or viable. But yeah, a mix of MGE and deathmatch servers would help.
0 Frags +

dont just aim with your strafes and movement, aim with your hand aswell. Find a balance of the two that works for you.

dont just aim with your strafes and movement, aim with your hand aswell. Find a balance of the two that works for you.
6 Frags +

masturbate

masturbate
-3 Frags +

I, recently, have been working on my scout dm too! Some good things to practice are playing lobby with bonk, so you are forced to use only your scatter, don't use your pistol in dm, and in general, play with only your scattergun. The pistols fun and all, but it isn't nearly as skill based as the scattergun. Trust me, this is coming from a guy who would main pistol scout. Also, make sure you never fall into a pattern of movement, or you just become too easy to predict. And be aware that it isn't always good to just go straight up and meatshot someone, in a lot of cases solid shots at mid range will keep your health up and still kill your opponent. Just some things I've noticed from playing non stop dm. Hope this helps!

I, recently, have been working on my scout dm too! Some good things to practice are playing lobby with bonk, so you are forced to use only your scatter, don't use your pistol in dm, and in general, play with only your scattergun. The pistols fun and all, but it isn't nearly as skill based as the scattergun. Trust me, this is coming from a guy who would main pistol scout. Also, make sure you never fall into a pattern of movement, or you just become too easy to predict. And be aware that it isn't always good to just go straight up and meatshot someone, in a lot of cases solid shots at mid range will keep your health up and still kill your opponent. Just some things I've noticed from playing non stop dm. Hope this helps!
-3 Frags +

i played mge for like 6 months, i never had mumble installed or a mic... so that is all i practiced with, i also couldn't play any other mode like soap dm with more than 30 fps so i kept to mge till i had gotten a new pc. now i usually just play mge to warmup/for fun and dm for practice. but it is really usually whatever i prefer...

i also find it a lot harder for me to warm up in pugs/scrims. just me maybe

i played mge for like 6 months, i never had mumble installed or a mic... so that is all i practiced with, i also couldn't play any other mode like soap dm with more than 30 fps so i kept to mge till i had gotten a new pc. now i usually just play mge to warmup/for fun and dm for practice. but it is really usually whatever i prefer...

i also find it a lot harder for me to warm up in pugs/scrims. just me maybe
4 Frags +

hot water

hot water
-1 Frags +

I also find washing my hands and stretching makes it easier for me to play. It doesn't make a significant difference, but it helps. Why stretching? I'm going to be sitting down for at least 30 minutes without getting up, so it's good to make sure I'm comfortable doing so. Playing games when you're uncomfortable can't lead to much good.

I also find washing my hands and stretching makes it easier for me to play. It doesn't make a significant difference, but it helps. Why stretching? I'm going to be sitting down for at least 30 minutes without getting up, so it's good to make sure I'm comfortable doing so. Playing games when you're uncomfortable can't lead to much good.
1 Frags +

A bunch of people ask for scout tips, but it really just comes down to playing the game. I believe I had my best seasons when I had the time to play dm for hours on end. Past FPS experience and natural ability help some, but rarely does anyone get anywhere without practicing.

Use the practice mods the community has available and you'll be fine.

A bunch of people ask for scout tips, but it really just comes down to playing the game. I believe I had my best seasons when I had the time to play dm for hours on end. Past FPS experience and natural ability help some, but rarely does anyone get anywhere without practicing.

Use the practice mods the community has available and you'll be fine.
1 2 3
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.