Upvote Upvoted 45 Downvote Downvoted
1 2
A Guide to FOV in TF2
25 Frags +

I made a guide explaining FOV in TF2 and what it really depends on. As you may know, the fov_desired setting is not your actual horizontal FOV. Everything past the first page is just math(s), feel free to ignore.

The guide is in pdf form here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IO03oeEWPixq9YvplILx_REm2MoT-gGA/view

The purpose of the guide is just to give information, as the FOV debate is still raging as we unfortunately saw yesterday in ETF2L.

If you've got any questions/corrections, I'm happy to hear them. I know it's not easy to read but I will try and update it.

The main information is basically:

- 16:9 monitor = 106 horizontal FOV
- Valve's way of calculating FOV is a bit strange and used to offer pretty much unlimited horizontal FOVs. I've been told they have added a hard cap to FOV recently, so I've updated the guide to say that.

I made a guide explaining FOV in TF2 and what it really depends on. As you may know, the fov_desired setting is not your actual horizontal FOV. Everything past the first page is just math(s), feel free to ignore.

The guide is in pdf form here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IO03oeEWPixq9YvplILx_REm2MoT-gGA/view

The purpose of the guide is just to give information, as the FOV debate is still raging as we unfortunately saw yesterday in ETF2L.

If you've got any questions/corrections, I'm happy to hear them. I know it's not easy to read but I will try and update it.

The main information is basically:

- 16:9 monitor = 106 horizontal FOV
- Valve's way of calculating FOV is a bit strange and used to offer pretty much unlimited horizontal FOVs. I've been told they have added a hard cap to FOV recently, so I've updated the guide to say that.
11 Frags +

i threw up because it looks like a college paper
nice info tho

i threw up because it looks like a college paper
nice info tho
4 Frags +

i understand some of those words.

i understand some of those words.
9 Frags +

I agree it's not that easy to read and barely anyone will, but it's more a reference that people might want to refer back to if they ever wonder about this. I'll be updating it to make it clearer.

I added the two main points to the OP.

I agree it's not that easy to read and barely anyone will, but it's more a reference that people might want to refer back to if they ever wonder about this. I'll be updating it to make it clearer.

I added the two main points to the OP.
57 Frags +

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/36278679.jpg

[img]http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/36278679.jpg[/img]
-16 Frags +

why dont we just plaaaaaay the gaaaaaaaaaaaame
that shit is so nerdy, holy fuck

why dont we just plaaaaaay the gaaaaaaaaaaaame
that shit is so nerdy, holy fuck
10 Frags +

Good job. I assumed that my FoV was actually somewhat higher than 90!

Good job. I assumed that my FoV was actually somewhat higher than 90!
0 Frags +

oh my god

oh my god
10 Frags +

So what you're saying is, we have to go wider?

Show Content
my animes have prepared me for this day
So what you're saying is, we have to go wider?

[spoiler]my animes have prepared me for this day[/spoiler]
0 Frags +

wow. Already loving this paper. Looks (kind of) like the engineering papers that I have to read in IEEE <- example paper on Power Electronics Triac Light Dimmer . :D

wow. Already loving this paper. Looks (kind of) like the engineering papers that I have to read in [url=http://users.ece.utexas.edu/~kwasinski/_1_EE362L_Sample_Report_Light_Dimmer.pdf]IEEE[/url] <- example paper on Power Electronics Triac Light Dimmer . :D
0 Frags +

You can definitely have the 150+ fov unless a server variable is on that restricts it

Also this variable isn't in any config that I know of

Single 16x9:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9p1mzuhgrml65ch/2012-10-11_00004.jpg
Eyefinity 5760+x1080:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rt0falut10meggi/2012-10-11_00007.jpg
Eyefinity w/ sv_restrict_aspect_ratio_fov 2:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/47mx2cf217tggyz/2012-10-11_00006.jpg

If the change is recent maybe I'm wrong, this was done a while ago (looks like ugc turbine week last season ._.)

You can definitely have the 150+ fov unless a server variable is on that restricts it

Also this variable isn't in any config that I know of

Single 16x9:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9p1mzuhgrml65ch/2012-10-11_00004.jpg
Eyefinity 5760+x1080:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rt0falut10meggi/2012-10-11_00007.jpg
Eyefinity w/ sv_restrict_aspect_ratio_fov 2:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/47mx2cf217tggyz/2012-10-11_00006.jpg

If the change is recent maybe I'm wrong, this was done a while ago (looks like ugc turbine week last season ._.)
4 Frags +

Valve's way of calculating FOV is in no way strange, it is the standard to use Vertical FOV as opposed to Horizontal FOV as the older games did.

Here's a good resource: http://youtu.be/blZUao2jTGA

Valve's way of calculating FOV is in no way strange, it is the standard to use Vertical FOV as opposed to Horizontal FOV as the older games did.

4 Frags +

FOV was definitely capped recently. Eyefinity in TF2 is a joke now. Everything is zoomed in to the point that you're basically looking through the sniper scope at all times. It's fun to play heavy though.

FOV was definitely capped recently. Eyefinity in TF2 is a joke now. Everything is zoomed in to the point that you're basically looking through the sniper scope at all times. It's fun to play heavy though.
-7 Frags +
the301stspartanGood job. I assumed that my FoV was actually somewhat higher than 90!

And yet, it still manages to look worse than 90.

[quote=the301stspartan]Good job. I assumed that my FoV was actually somewhat higher than 90![/quote]

1 Frags +
RawrSpoonValve's way of calculating FOV is in no way strange, it is the standard to use Vertical FOV as opposed to Horizontal FOV as the older games did.

Great explanation, thanks for the link

[quote=RawrSpoon]Valve's way of calculating FOV is in no way strange, it is the standard to use Vertical FOV as opposed to Horizontal FOV as the older games did.

Here's a good resource: http://youtu.be/blZUao2jTGA[/quote]
Great explanation, thanks for the link
7 Frags +
Odissiusthe301stspartanGood job. I assumed that my FoV was actually somewhat higher than 90!

no

[quote=Odissius][quote=the301stspartan]Good job. I assumed that my FoV was actually somewhat higher than 90![/quote]

And yet, it still manages to look worse than 90.[/quote]
no
-2 Frags +
Odissiusthe301stspartanGood job. I assumed that my FoV was actually somewhat higher than 90!

is this the idiot who wanted higher than 90 fov?

[quote=Odissius][quote=the301stspartan]Good job. I assumed that my FoV was actually somewhat higher than 90![/quote]

4 Frags +
smakersFOV was definitely capped recently. Eyefinity in TF2 is a joke now. Everything is zoomed in to the point that you're basically looking through the sniper scope at all times. It's fun to play heavy though.

Afaik the default for sv_restrict_aspect_ratio_fov is still 1.
0 = everything allowed
1 = no higher fov with aspect ratio higher than 1.85:1 in windowed mode
2 = like 1, but restricts both windowed and fullscreen (including eyefinity)

Not sure about eyefinity though, i'm not rich enough to test it.

[quote=smakers]FOV was definitely capped recently. Eyefinity in TF2 is a joke now. Everything is zoomed in to the point that you're basically looking through the sniper scope at all times. It's fun to play heavy though.[/quote]
Afaik the default for sv_restrict_aspect_ratio_fov is still 1.
0 = everything allowed
1 = no higher fov with aspect ratio higher than 1.85:1 in windowed mode
2 = like 1, but restricts both windowed and fullscreen (including eyefinity)

Not sure about eyefinity though, i'm not rich enough to test it.
-15 Frags +
arkonOdissiusthe301stspartanGood job. I assumed that my FoV was actually somewhat higher than 90!

Yes, I must be an idiot for wanting more than 90 FOV in a "competitive" game that has so much y-axis gameplay.

Oh wait, what's that, every competitive game that had substantial y-axis gameplay before TF2 had a minimum of 105 FOV? Uncanny!

Pls go retard.

lol @ people with poverty brains -fragging me

[quote=arkon][quote=Odissius][quote=the301stspartan]Good job. I assumed that my FoV was actually somewhat higher than 90![/quote]

is this the idiot who wanted higher than 90 fov?[/quote]

Yes, I must be an idiot for wanting more than 90 FOV in a "competitive" game that has so much y-axis gameplay.

Oh wait, what's that, every competitive game that had substantial y-axis gameplay before TF2 had a minimum of 105 FOV? Uncanny!

Pls go retard.

-2 Frags +

http://stevenarch.tymoon.eu/med/src/132118183295.jpg

[img]http://stevenarch.tymoon.eu/med/src/132118183295.jpg[/img]
1 Frags +

long time 120 FOV TFC player master race checking in.

but seriously, I use viewmodel_fov 100 that gives a decent illusion of being able to see more. not sure if I would change my FOV, though it doesn't ever seem like that feature will be implemented.

long time 120 FOV TFC player master race checking in.

but seriously, I use viewmodel_fov 100 that gives a decent illusion of being able to see more. not sure if I would change my FOV, though it doesn't ever seem like that feature will be implemented.
3 Frags +

you can still use whatever resolution you like for higher fov, but it has to be a fullscreen mode to work with the default value of sv_restrict_aspect_ratio_fov. Just create a new wide custom resolution in your drivers.

you can still use whatever resolution you like for higher fov, but it has to be a fullscreen mode to work with the default value of sv_restrict_aspect_ratio_fov. Just create a new wide [url=http://drok-radnik.com/junk/customres_001.jpg]custom resolution[/url] in your drivers.
9 Frags +

now the question is whether my viewmodel_fov should be 90 or 106

now the question is whether my viewmodel_fov should be 90 or 106
2 Frags +

Did you write this with LaTeX? It looks great.

Did you write this with LaTeX? It looks great.
2 Frags +
useofDid you write this with LaTeX? It looks great.

Yes, thanks, and inkscape for diagrams.

I would have used something else to avoid the 'college paper' comments, but I just reformatted and LaTeX was all I had.

[quote=useof]Did you write this with LaTeX? It looks great.[/quote]

Yes, thanks, and inkscape for diagrams.

I would have used something else to avoid the 'college paper' comments, but I just reformatted and LaTeX was all I had.
6 Frags +
OdissiusarkonOdissiusthe301stspartanGood job. I assumed that my FoV was actually somewhat higher than 90!

Pls go retard.

1) Are you clinically retarded? y-axis means vertical. Last time I checked I had to move the camera to see shit above me on any FoV in any game.

2) Your real FoV on a 16:9 screen isn't even 90 QED so I can only assume you are playing
on a non 16:9 screen. Yet you bitch about FoV? What the fuck is wrong with you?

3) Quake had a default FoV of 90 so not only are you an idiot or a bad troll but you also don't even care enough to back up your BS with information that takes 5 seconds to google. Competitive players would usually go for 95-110 which is what you are looking at in TF2. ZeRo4 used 90. But you don't know who that is.

Gtfo and never come back.

Lol I don't even know why I'm writing so angry right now I guess I have just read too much crap on the internet for one day today.

[quote=Odissius][quote=arkon][quote=Odissius][quote=the301stspartan]Good job. I assumed that my FoV was actually somewhat higher than 90![/quote]

is this the idiot who wanted higher than 90 fov?[/quote]

Pls go retard.

lol @ people with poverty brains -fragging me[/quote]

1) Are you clinically retarded? y-axis means vertical. Last time I checked I had to move the camera to see shit above me on any FoV in any game.

2) Your real FoV on a 16:9 screen isn't even 90 QED so I can only assume you are playing

3) Quake had a default FoV of 90 so not only are you an idiot or a bad troll but you also don't even care enough to back up your BS with information that takes 5 seconds to google. Competitive players would usually go for 95-110 which is what you are looking at in TF2. ZeRo4 used 90. But you don't know who that is.

Lol I don't even know why I'm writing so angry right now I guess I have just read too much crap on the internet for one day today.
-13 Frags +
the301stspartan1) Are you clinically retarded? y-axis means vertical. Last time I checked I had to move the camera to see shit above me on any FoV in any game.

lol u mad as fuck

1) No shit it means vertical. However any game that has a lot of vertical gameplay needs more FOV than games that don't. That's why "90 FOV" isn't a problem in CS:GO. Hmm, I wonder why Tribes has a 120 FOV cap?

2) Who doesn't have 16:9 these days? TF2 looks more zoomed in than other games even at 16:9.

3) What's your point about default FOV? When you install TF2 for the first time on a fresh computer it defaults to 75. I have seen ZeRo4 in a few matches before, but what's your point about the FOV he uses? Another pro, Rapha, uses 110. Some pros use odd setups because that's what they are used to. Hell some pros still use 4:3 in CS:GO, when 16:9 has a distinct advantage. Anyone who has used OpenPlugin to set their fov_desired to 105-110 agrees with me that 90 FOV in TF2 is garbage.

There's a reason that 90 FOV in CS:GO feels normal and 90 FOV in TF2 doesn't.

[quote=the301stspartan]

Lol I don't even know why I'm writing so angry right now I guess I have just read too much crap on the internet for one day today.[/quote]

lol u mad as fuck

1) No shit it means vertical. However any game that has a lot of vertical gameplay needs more FOV than games that don't. That's why "90 FOV" isn't a problem in CS:GO. Hmm, I wonder why Tribes has a 120 FOV cap?

2) Who doesn't have 16:9 these days? TF2 looks more zoomed in than other games even at 16:9.

3) What's your point about default FOV? When you install TF2 for the first time on a fresh computer it defaults to 75. I have seen ZeRo4 in a few matches before, but what's your point about the FOV he uses? Another pro, Rapha, uses 110. Some pros use odd setups because that's what they are used to. Hell some pros still use 4:3 in CS:GO, when 16:9 has a distinct advantage. Anyone who has used OpenPlugin to set their fov_desired to 105-110 agrees with me that 90 FOV in TF2 is garbage.

0 Frags +

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1811521/fov.html

months ago

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1811521/fov.html

months ago
3 Frags +

- The higher your real FoV is for any one aspect ratio, the more view you have in all directions than otherwise for the same aspect ratio. Period.

- I can't play games with a real horizontal FoV below 90 degrees. I feel claustrophobic and start to panic. It's clinical.

- The default FoV of one game has nothing to do with that of another game. Games which are balanced around restricted awareness (TF2 is one) have major gameplay effects from FoV changes.

>Gtfo and never come back.
This is so mature, dude.

- The higher your real FoV is for any one aspect ratio, the more view you have in all directions than otherwise for the same aspect ratio. Period.

- I can't play games with a real horizontal FoV below 90 degrees. I feel claustrophobic and start to panic. It's clinical.

- The default FoV of one game has nothing to do with that of another game. Games which are balanced around restricted awareness (TF2 is one) have major gameplay effects from FoV changes.

This is so mature, dude.
-3 Frags +
Odissiusthe301stspartan1) Are you clinically retarded? y-axis means vertical. Last time I checked I had to move the camera to see shit above me on any FoV in any game.

lol u mad as fuck

Please. Stop.

1) Just bullshit all around.

2) A statement based on your subjective experience which is obviously outright wrong.

3) Lots of shit basically saying "Yeah I spouted stupid shit and am saying the same as you without even knowing"

wareya- The higher your real FoV is for any one aspect ratio, the more view you have in all directions than otherwise for the same aspect ratio. Period.

This is so mature, dude.

How about you read my post again. It was directed completely towards odissius and everything he said. Stop.

Just go. Let this thread die.

[quote=Odissius][quote=the301stspartan]

Lol I don't even know why I'm writing so angry right now I guess I have just read too much crap on the internet for one day today.[/quote]

lol u mad as fuck

There's a reason that 90 FOV in CS:GO feels normal and 90 FOV in TF2 doesn't.[/quote]

Please. Stop.

1) Just bullshit all around.

2) A statement based on your subjective experience which is obviously outright wrong.

3) Lots of shit basically saying "Yeah I spouted stupid shit and am saying the same as you without even knowing"

[quote=wareya]- The higher your real FoV is for any one aspect ratio, the more view you have in all directions than otherwise for the same aspect ratio. Period.

This is so mature, dude.[/quote]

How about you read my post again. It was directed completely towards odissius and everything he said. Stop.

Just go. Let this thread die.
1 2
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.