Completed
DATE
Thursday, Oct 30th
TIME
11:30 PM EDT
STREAM
eXtelevision
ABOUT

10 of NA's best TF2 players are coming together to try out Arena:Respawn. In a competitive setting A:R is played 5v5 with class limit 1 and an open white list. Maps are 20 minutes long with rounds in progress allowed to finish at the end of that timer. In addition to that, at the start of each map each team bans a class. The ban applies to both teams.

Arena:Respawn is a spin on traditional Arena with players being able to respawn their teams through capturing the point. Players defending a point they own marks the player for death in order to punish teams attempting to camp the point. When the point is captured a 60 second timer is started, after which the team that owned the point can re-capture to end the round. This is to combat cloak and dagger spies hiding in corners and to promote action.

We will be playing 3 maps for the invite pug. Captain / player pick format is still undecided. Please voice your opinion.

Production by Dashner
Commentary by eXtine and Flame.

eXtv YouTube | Arena:Respawn Steam Group
15 Frags +

who r the 10 ppl

who r the 10 ppl
-10 Frags +

put me in

put me in
0 Frags +

^ yes pls

^ yes pls
0 Frags +

I have a feeling there just gonna ban the same classes every time.

I have a feeling there just gonna ban the same classes every time.
3 Frags +
ManSkirtDude101I have a feeling there just gonna ban the same classes every time.

Cant ban same class twice in a row

[quote=ManSkirtDude101]I have a feeling there just gonna ban the same classes every time.[/quote]

7 Frags +

this seems rad

this seems rad
2 Frags +

I've played this game mode, and can confirm it is in fact the bomb.
It is a piss of though when it's 5v1 and the guy sneaks + caps. :P

I've played this game mode, and can confirm it is in fact the bomb.
It is a piss of though when it's 5v1 and the guy sneaks + caps. :P
41 Frags +
10 of NA's best TF2 playersmangachu
[quote]10 of NA's best TF2 players[/quote]
[quote]mangachu[/quote]
eXtelevision
0 Frags +
StagManSkirtDude101I have a feeling there just gonna ban the same classes every time.

I wasn't aware till Gizmo and I spoke this morning thats how things were run. What's the consensus on that? If it's a bo5 map series and maps/order is known, is that a good boost to the strategy going on? Or will teams banning the same class over and over not be a problem due to map pool and ban order? We'll figure that stuff out bit by bit, but I wasn't planning on running things that way tonight and just letting teams ban however.

[quote=Stag][quote=ManSkirtDude101]I have a feeling there just gonna ban the same classes every time.[/quote]

Cant ban same class twice in a row[/quote]

I wasn't aware till Gizmo and I spoke this morning thats how things were run. What's the consensus on that? If it's a bo5 map series and maps/order is known, is that a good boost to the strategy going on? Or will teams banning the same class over and over not be a problem due to map pool and ban order? We'll figure that stuff out bit by bit, but I wasn't planning on running things that way tonight and just letting teams ban however.
0 Frags +

ETA still 11:30 ET?

ETA still 11:30 ET?
eXtelevision
0 Frags +

Yeaahhh

Yeaahhh
0 Frags +
eXtineStagManSkirtDude101I have a feeling there just gonna ban the same classes every time.

it was my understanding from the last one that you wouldn't be allowed to ban the same class twice, or at least that's what was discussed. Reason would be that people would just continually ban the classes deemed op for the mode.

EDIT= I was wrong

[quote=eXtine][quote=Stag][quote=ManSkirtDude101]I have a feeling there just gonna ban the same classes every time.[/quote]

Cant ban same class twice in a row[/quote]

I wasn't aware till Gizmo and I spoke this morning thats how things were run. What's the consensus on that? If it's a bo5 map series and maps/order is known, is that a good boost to the strategy going on? Or will teams banning the same class over and over not be a problem due to map pool and ban order? We'll figure that stuff out bit by bit, but I wasn't planning on running things that way tonight and just letting teams ban however.[/quote]
it was my understanding from the last one that you wouldn't be allowed to ban the same class twice, or at least that's what was discussed. Reason would be that people would just continually ban the classes deemed op for the mode.

EDIT= I was wrong
0 Frags +

Was this game mode created by [GGG] vincenator? I remember him working on this, or something similar, a few years ago.

Was this game mode created by [GGG] vincenator? I remember him working on this, or something similar, a few years ago.
newbie.tf
6 Frags +

Okay I thought this would be really stupid, but it's not bad to watch, honestly. Fun stuff!

Okay I thought this would be really stupid, but it's not bad to watch, honestly. Fun stuff!
-7 Frags +
KevinIsPwnOkay I thought this would be really stupid, but it's not bad to watch, honestly. Fun stuff!

way to be open minded !

[quote=KevinIsPwn][b]Okay I thought this would be really stupid[/b], but it's not bad to watch, honestly. Fun stuff![/quote]

way to be open minded !
newbie.tf
9 Frags +
defyKevinIsPwnOkay I thought this would be really stupid, but it's not bad to watch, honestly. Fun stuff!
way to be open minded !

In fairness, arena has always been the opposite of competitive. I don't think of myself as an elitist or whatever. I like highlander fairly decently, I gave 4v4 a try, I started playing competitive in a 3v3 tournament even. It's just the arena has always been such a pub-y thing that it's in a different realm of tf2 in my head.

I see "arena competitive" and it just doesn't make sense, but like I said: it's actually pretty cool

[quote=defy][quote=KevinIsPwn][b]Okay I thought this would be really stupid[/b], but it's not bad to watch, honestly. Fun stuff![/quote]

way to be open minded ![/quote]

In fairness, arena has always been the opposite of competitive. I don't think of myself as an elitist or whatever. I like highlander fairly decently, I gave 4v4 a try, I started playing competitive in a 3v3 tournament even. It's just the arena has always been such a pub-y thing that it's in a different realm of tf2 in my head.

I see "arena competitive" and it just doesn't make sense, but like I said: it's actually pretty cool
22 Frags +

http://i.imgur.com/FIo0dyo.png

rip dashnerr

[img]http://i.imgur.com/FIo0dyo.png[/img]
rip dashnerr
8 Frags +

Had a lot of fun playing. Only gripe was the mini-crit mechanic instantly activating after the point cap. I like the mechanic as a balancer for teams that are outnumbered trying to respawn their players but it shouldnt instantly activate imo.

Had a lot of fun playing. Only gripe was the mini-crit mechanic instantly activating after the point cap. I like the mechanic as a balancer for teams that are outnumbered trying to respawn their players but it shouldnt instantly activate imo.
2 Frags +

nerfing the mini crit timer/maybe being able to ban some weapons would make it a lot better
short circuit was broken on well and the quick fix was the only medi gun that was viable on most maps

nerfing the mini crit timer/maybe being able to ban some weapons would make it a lot better
short circuit was broken on well and the quick fix was the only medi gun that was viable on most maps
0 Frags +

maybe it should feature the community of Arena:Respawn and get some community feedback

maybe it should feature the community of Arena:Respawn and get some community feedback
6 Frags +

Do another :D

Do another :D
2 Frags +

u should make some casual tourney for this game mode

was real fun 2 watch

u should make some casual tourney for this game mode

was real fun 2 watch
0 Frags +

is there a plugin available for this game mode? trying to doublemix on the steam group server right now, but random people are joining and we can't organize the teams

is there a plugin available for this game mode? trying to doublemix on the steam group server right now, but random people are joining and we can't organize the teams
0 Frags +
plobsu should make some casual tourney for this game mode

was real fun 2 watch

i would sign a team up for this in an instant

[quote=plobs]u should make some casual tourney for this game mode

was real fun 2 watch[/quote]

i would sign a team up for this in an instant
3 Frags +

played 3 maps using the pick/ban system tonight, everyone seemed to enjoy it. i'd recommend bo3 as a standard way of playing this as it gets some hype going.

the plugin is uploaded to all servers on serveme.tf (thanks arie) and it is automatically enabled on supported maps for those with donator status when you have “Enable plugins” checked for your reservation.

heres a basic list of commands you need to get things started:

tf_arena_use_queue 0 //0 is arena pub mode, 1 is comp
tf_arena_override_cap_enable_time 20 //20secs no point cap at the start of rounds

mp_tournament //cycle between 0 and 1 to select teams and then ready up
mp_tournament_whitelist "" //disables whitelist

and some informative links to spam people who don't know about the gamemode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf3EZwWghxI
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/arenarespawn
http://teamfortress.tv/thread/20882/arenarespawn-pug#bottom

played 3 maps using the pick/ban system tonight, everyone seemed to enjoy it. i'd recommend bo3 as a standard way of playing this as it gets some hype going.

the plugin is uploaded to all servers on serveme.tf (thanks arie) and it is automatically enabled on supported maps for those with donator status when you have “Enable plugins” checked for your reservation.

heres a basic list of commands you need to get things started:

tf_arena_use_queue 0 //0 is arena pub mode, 1 is comp
tf_arena_override_cap_enable_time 20 //20secs no point cap at the start of rounds

mp_tournament //cycle between 0 and 1 to select teams and then ready up
mp_tournament_whitelist "" //disables whitelist

and some informative links to spam people who don't know about the gamemode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf3EZwWghxI
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/arenarespawn
http://teamfortress.tv/thread/20882/arenarespawn-pug#bottom
7 Frags +

Does anyone want a PUG group for these? I have a server and a mumble

Does anyone want a PUG group for these? I have a server and a mumble
0 Frags +

i'd be a regular in a pug group

i'd be a regular in a pug group
0 Frags +

I would also be up for a pug group!

I would also be up for a pug group!
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.