Upvote Upvoted 9 Downvote Downvoted
1 2
Silk Road founder sentenced to life
posted in Off Topic
0 Frags +

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/30/nyregion/ross-ulbricht-creator-of-silk-road-website-is-sentenced-to-life-in-prison.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/30/nyregion/ross-ulbricht-creator-of-silk-road-website-is-sentenced-to-life-in-prison.html
6 Frags +

I'm not even sure what he did should be a felony, let alone life in prison-worthy

I'm not even sure what he did should be a felony, let alone life in prison-worthy
16 Frags +
mustardoverlordI'm not even sure what he did should be a felony, let alone life in prison-worthy

He tried having a person killed?

[quote=mustardoverlord]I'm not even sure what he did should be a felony, let alone life in prison-worthy[/quote]

-2 Frags +
Herr_PmustardoverlordI'm not even sure what he did should be a felony, let alone life in prison-worthy

I heard that allegation but never saw any actual proof, then again I didn't look very hard

if you have any then obviously that should warrant a harsh sentence but that's obviously not what I'm referring to

[quote=Herr_P][quote=mustardoverlord]I'm not even sure what he did should be a felony, let alone life in prison-worthy[/quote]

He tried having a person killed?[/quote]

I heard that allegation but never saw any actual proof, then again I didn't look very hard

if you have any then obviously that should warrant a harsh sentence but that's obviously not what I'm referring to
-2 Frags +

I think this article sums up the murder allegation stuff pretty well:

http://www.dailydot.com/crime/silk-road-ulbricht-murder-sentencing/

I think this article sums up the murder allegation stuff pretty well:

http://www.dailydot.com/crime/silk-road-ulbricht-murder-sentencing/
2 Frags +
mustardoverlordI'm not even sure what he did should be a felony, let alone life in prison-worthy

I would assume the bigger issue would be the buyers and sellers themselves. Hosting a place to do so shouldn't be the problem considering buyers and sellers don't need people to "host" spots to buy and sell lol... And even if that was somehow a problem, it sure as fuck wouldn't be enough of a problem to warrant a life sentence in prison.

[quote=mustardoverlord]I'm not even sure what he did should be a felony, let alone life in prison-worthy[/quote]

I would assume the bigger issue would be the buyers and sellers themselves. Hosting a place to do so shouldn't be the problem considering buyers and sellers don't need people to "host" spots to buy and sell lol... And even if that was somehow a problem, it sure as fuck wouldn't be enough of a problem to warrant a life sentence in prison.
10 Frags +

some people kill others and have 20 years.

some others setup an anonymous international platform to sell drug and are sentenced to life.

well, as a first of its category this sentence has the merit of being pretty clear and strong. (not saying its good or bad)

He would have never been caught if he would operate from a random small country.

rip purest and easiest MDMA available in years

some people kill others and have 20 years.

some others setup an anonymous international platform to sell drug and are sentenced to life.

well, as a first of its category this sentence has the merit of being pretty clear and strong. (not saying its good or bad)

He would have never been caught if he would operate from a random small country.

rip purest and easiest MDMA available in years
7 Frags +

given that I think every one of those drugs should be legalized, with some regulation obviously (minimum age, heavy taxes, awareness campaigns, etc.), the worst thing I can say about this dude aside from the as-yet unverified murder for hire allegations is that he exploited an unregulated market in a way that caused indirect harm to people.

well, we don't give the goldman sachs or bear stearns board life in prison, and they ultimately caused hundreds of times more damage in human cost, so I think we have a bit of a double standard here.

P.S. I should also say that I really hope that the murder allegations are not true. not because I have any great love for this dude, but because it would obfuscate the real issue, namely the fucked up laws regarding drug use and sale in the united states and the consequences therein.

given that I think every one of those drugs should be legalized, with some regulation obviously (minimum age, heavy taxes, awareness campaigns, etc.), the worst thing I can say about this dude aside from the as-yet unverified murder for hire allegations is that he exploited an unregulated market in a way that caused indirect harm to people.

well, we don't give the goldman sachs or bear stearns board life in prison, and they ultimately caused hundreds of times more damage in human cost, so I think we have a bit of a double standard here.

P.S. I should also say that I really hope that the murder allegations are not true. not because I have any great love for this dude, but because it would obfuscate the real issue, namely the fucked up laws regarding drug use and sale in the united states and the consequences therein.
4 Frags +

Thank god there has been a huge shift in attitude regarding drugs in recent years, most of these would only gain in being properly legalized and regulated. More tax money, less drug related crime, safer users, it's a win-win-win situation.

I can only hope it expands across the world even more. It's a joke that people are put in jail for life for drug use, and in this case (if the murder allegations are not true) it's also a joke that he's being sentenced to life having created a market that eliminated 99% of the risks associated with drug exchanges

Thank god there has been a huge shift in attitude regarding drugs in recent years, most of these would only gain in being properly legalized and regulated. More tax money, less drug related crime, safer users, it's a win-win-win situation.

I can only hope it expands across the world even more. It's a joke that people are put in jail for life for drug use, and in this case (if the murder allegations are not true) it's also a joke that he's being sentenced to life having created a market that eliminated 99% of the risks associated with drug exchanges
12 Frags +

This is a fascinating, LONG, read about the site, about the guy, and about how the site was brought down. It does make reference to the hits he paid for.

http://www.wired.com/2015/05/silk-road-2/

This is a fascinating, LONG, read about the site, about the guy, and about how the site was brought down. It does make reference to the hits he paid for.

0 Frags +
GetawhaleThis is a fascinating, LONG, read about the site, about the guy, and about how the site was brought down. It does make reference to the hits he paid for.

Aww, I went out digging for it and came back to see you posting it.

Read part 1 when it was released and will read part 2 now, was really interesting.

[quote=Getawhale]This is a fascinating, LONG, read about the site, about the guy, and about how the site was brought down. It does make reference to the hits he paid for.

http://www.wired.com/2015/05/silk-road-2/[/quote]

Aww, I went out digging for it and came back to see you posting it.

Read part 1 when it was released and will read part 2 now, was really interesting.
0 Frags +

He's racketeering.
They can get him under CCE or just RICO laws. There's no way in hell he'd have anything but a life sentence. OH, then the conspiracy charge THEN the fraud charges.
Yeah, he'd be in jail for life no matter what.

He's racketeering.
They can get him under CCE or just RICO laws. There's no way in hell he'd have anything but a life sentence. OH, then the conspiracy charge THEN the fraud charges.
Yeah, he'd be in jail for life no matter what.
-11 Frags +

man shut the fuck up with this shit, like the US Govt aint trafficking assloads more drugs than everyone on the darknet market combined. fuckin whack, dude didnt do shit.

man shut the fuck up with this shit, like the US Govt aint trafficking assloads more drugs than everyone on the darknet market combined. fuckin whack, dude didnt do shit.
15 Frags +

-10 Frags +

my post isnt to OP btw im just outraged at the ass backwards country i live in

my post isnt to OP btw im just outraged at the ass backwards country i live in
8 Frags +

backwards country?

glad you aren't living in any sharia law nation

or the nations where ebola is still a fucking epidemic

or any middle eastern nation

or anything other than rich in india or anywhere in africa

fuck off you retard

backwards country?

glad you aren't living in any sharia law nation

or the nations where ebola is still a fucking epidemic

or any middle eastern nation

or anything other than rich in india or anywhere in africa

fuck off you retard
0 Frags +

From the Wired article, he sounds like half the people I met at parties in SF. It's crazy how short the distance was between normal dude in his 20s to criminal mastermind ordering executions. Shit's whack.

From the Wired article, he sounds like half the people I met at parties in SF. It's crazy how short the distance was between normal dude in his 20s to criminal mastermind ordering executions. Shit's whack.
-10 Frags +

Mustard you have to be one of the most ignorant, stupid people I have ever met. For you to say any of this shit is mind boggling. You do realize what you're saying right?

Mustard you have to be one of the most ignorant, stupid people I have ever met. For you to say any of this shit is mind boggling. You do realize what you're saying right?
7 Frags +

Really? He facilitated the means for over 1 million illegal transactions (many of them drug transactions, but some firearm and other illegal goods/services transactions as well).

If he got a year in prison for each transaction, he'd be looking at 1 million years in jail. RIP.

But then there was also the whole thing about him hiring a hitman...

mustardoverlordwell, we don't give the goldman sachs or bear stearns board life in prison, and they ultimately caused hundreds of times more damage in human cost, so I think we have a bit of a double standard here.

Well, I do partially agree with you. I think many of the executives at goldman sachs should be in jail for fraud and other illegal market manipulation part of which contributed to the huge global financial crisis. But I wouldn't directly compare the crimes of the silk road guy with goldman sachs. Last I heard, I don't remember goldman sachs direct involvement in 1 million illegal drug and firearm transactions.

These large financial institutions have so much wealth and influence in the government they can get away with almost anything. I remember a quote from a financial expert at the BBC. "Governments do not rule the world. Goldman Sach's rules the world." It's sad but there is some truth to that statement.

Really? He facilitated the means for over 1 million illegal transactions (many of them drug transactions, but some firearm and other illegal goods/services transactions as well).

If he got a year in prison for each transaction, he'd be looking at 1 million years in jail. RIP.

[quote=mustardoverlord]well, we don't give the goldman sachs or bear stearns board life in prison, and they ultimately caused hundreds of times more damage in human cost, so I think we have a bit of a double standard here.[/quote]

Well, I do partially agree with you. I think many of the executives at goldman sachs should be in jail for fraud and other illegal market manipulation part of which contributed to the huge global financial crisis. But I wouldn't directly compare the crimes of the silk road guy with goldman sachs. Last I heard, I don't remember goldman sachs direct involvement in 1 million illegal drug and firearm transactions.

These large financial institutions have so much wealth and influence in the government they can get away with almost anything. I remember a quote from a financial expert at the BBC. "Governments do not rule the world. Goldman Sach's rules the world." It's sad but there is some truth to that statement.
3 Frags +

That wired article becomes hilarious if you replace every mention of "Silk Road" with "TF.TV" and replace "DPR" with "Enigma".

That wired article becomes hilarious if you replace every mention of "Silk Road" with "TF.TV" and replace "DPR" with "Enigma".
-7 Frags +
ILLEGALELEPHANTGUNman shut the fuck up with this shit, like the US Govt aint trafficking assloads more drugs than everyone on the darknet market combined. fuckin whack, dude didnt do shit.

yo dude just go back to ur beaver dam wit ur cracker family

[quote=ILLEGALELEPHANTGUN]man shut the fuck up with this shit, like the US Govt aint trafficking assloads more drugs than everyone on the darknet market combined. fuckin whack, dude didnt do shit.[/quote]

yo dude just go back to ur beaver dam wit ur cracker family
10 Frags +
Red_Mustard you have to be one of the most ignorant, stupid people I have ever met. For you to say any of this shit is mind boggling. You do realize what you're saying right?

I realize exactly what I am saying, feel free to attempt to actually make a cogent argument instead of emotionally driven ad hominem with no logic behind it

[quote=Red_]Mustard you have to be one of the most ignorant, stupid people I have ever met. For you to say any of this shit is mind boggling. You do realize what you're saying right?[/quote]

I realize exactly what I am saying, feel free to attempt to actually make a cogent argument instead of emotionally driven ad hominem with no logic behind it
3 Frags +
mustardoverlordRed_Mustard you have to be one of the most ignorant, stupid people I have ever met. For you to say any of this shit is mind boggling. You do realize what you're saying right?

i believe this needs to be settled with a rap battle between mustard and red

[quote=mustardoverlord][quote=Red_]Mustard you have to be one of the most ignorant, stupid people I have ever met. For you to say any of this shit is mind boggling. You do realize what you're saying right?[/quote]

I realize exactly what I am saying, feel free to attempt to actually make a cogent argument instead of emotionally driven ad hominem with no logic behind it[/quote]
i believe this needs to be settled with a rap battle between mustard and red
1 Frags +
dollarlayermustardoverlordI'm not even sure what he did should be a felony, let alone life in prison-worthy

I didn't say I'm not sure what he did that IS considered a felony, I said I wasn't sure what he did that SHOULD be considered a felony.

I don't believe that drug transactions should be illegal, so there you go.

I also don't believe in layering separate offenses on top of one another in that manner to create mandatory sentencing minimums.

dollarlayerBut then there was also the whole thing about him hiring a hitman...

Like I said, I don't want to rush to judgment on that point until I have more concrete evidence. Obviously, if he really did plan the murder of six people or whatever that that's a much more serious offense.

dollarlayermustardoverlordwell, we don't give the goldman sachs or bear stearns board life in prison, and they ultimately caused hundreds of times more damage in human cost, so I think we have a bit of a double standard here.

I feel like you are somewhat confusing the "is" of my statement with the "ought".

Aside from the things companies like Goldman Sachs did that are almost certainly illegal even in a ridiculously deregulated market, I think the financial crisis has objectively led to more damage to the world at large than Silk Road. And as I previously stated, those drug transactions should not have been illegal so there you go.

[quote=dollarlayer][quote=mustardoverlord]I'm not even sure what he did should be a felony, let alone life in prison-worthy[/quote]

[/quote]

I didn't say I'm not sure what he did that IS considered a felony, I said I wasn't sure what he did that SHOULD be considered a felony.

I don't believe that drug transactions should be illegal, so there you go.

I also don't believe in layering separate offenses on top of one another in that manner to create mandatory sentencing minimums.

[quote=dollarlayer]
[/quote]

Like I said, I don't want to rush to judgment on that point until I have more concrete evidence. Obviously, if he really did plan the murder of six people or whatever that that's a much more serious offense.

[quote=dollarlayer]
[quote=mustardoverlord]well, we don't give the goldman sachs or bear stearns board life in prison, and they ultimately caused hundreds of times more damage in human cost, so I think we have a bit of a double standard here.[/quote]

These large financial institutions have so much wealth and influence in the government they can get away with almost anything. I remember a quote from a financial expert at the BBC. "Governments do not rule the world. Goldman Sach's rules the world." It's sad but there is some truth to that statement.[/quote]

I feel like you are somewhat confusing the "is" of my statement with the "ought".

Aside from the things companies like Goldman Sachs did that are almost certainly illegal even in a ridiculously deregulated market, I think the financial crisis has objectively led to more damage to the world at large than Silk Road. And as I previously stated, those drug transactions should not have been illegal so there you go.
-1 Frags +

mustard my man ur not seriously suggesting goldman sachs is to blame for the financial crash right?

mustard my man ur not seriously suggesting goldman sachs is to blame for the financial crash right?
-8 Frags +

goldman sachs did something illegal? slin you got some speaking to do

goldman sachs did something illegal? slin you got some speaking to do
4 Frags +
twenty2020mustard my man ur not seriously suggesting goldman sachs is to blame for the financial crash right?

not any more than any other giant investment bank or financial services firm (albeit the most visible one) did

[quote=twenty2020]mustard my man ur not seriously suggesting goldman sachs is to blame for the financial crash right?[/quote]

not any more than any other giant investment bank or financial services firm (albeit the most visible one) did
-1 Frags +
mustardoverlordtwenty2020mustard my man ur not seriously suggesting goldman sachs is to blame for the financial crash right?

can you be clearer about this? what did they do that would be illegal even in a ridiculously deregulated market?

[quote=mustardoverlord][quote=twenty2020]mustard my man ur not seriously suggesting goldman sachs is to blame for the financial crash right?[/quote]

not any more than any other giant investment bank or financial services firm (albeit the most visible one) did[/quote]
can you be clearer about this? what did they do that would be illegal even in a ridiculously deregulated market?
0 Frags +

With regards to the financial crash: I think a big part of why it happened can be explained by the prevalence of toxic shares among the banking and financial community prior to the crash, so I think that they probably have more of the blame on them than any other party or group of parties.

Does this make what they did illegal? No, not really. Short-sighted and possibly immoral? I think so. But that gets into the interesting question of whether corporations have to be held at the same moral standards as individual people (I think they do, but it's still an interesting question.)

With regards to the financial crash: I think a big part of why it happened can be explained by the prevalence of toxic shares among the banking and financial community prior to the crash, so I think that they probably have more of the blame on them than any other party or group of parties.

Does this make what they did illegal? No, not really. Short-sighted and possibly immoral? I think so. But that gets into the interesting question of whether corporations have to be held at the same moral standards as individual people (I think they do, but it's still an interesting question.)
1 Frags +

Not that surprised as where I live you can get up to 10 years for having weed with you.

Not that surprised as where I live you can get up to 10 years for having weed with you.
1 2
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.