Upvote Upvoted 13 Downvote Downvoted
Stultus water polo help
posted in Off Topic
12 Frags +

Stultus
I have been playing high school water polo since ~August last year.
I play goalie, and I am wondering whether you could give me some tips.
My 5m shot stopping has improved heaps, and I can throw almost the whole pool with fairly good accuracy, but I can never stop shots inside 2m.
When I first started playing, I would just charge out and pressure the shooter, which worked against players around my skill level (from my team) but recently we have been playing against teams with really experienced hole checks that fake a shit ton before shooting.
I either fall for the fake, which sucks, or I wait until I see the ball leave their hand, but then I can't move quick enough to make the shot.

I don't know what position you play, but I was hoping you could give me some general tips?
Thanks.

Stultus
I have been playing high school water polo since ~August last year.
I play goalie, and I am wondering whether you could give me some tips.
My 5m shot stopping has improved heaps, and I can throw almost the whole pool with fairly good accuracy, but I can never stop shots inside 2m.
When I first started playing, I would just charge out and pressure the shooter, which worked against players around my skill level (from my team) but recently we have been playing against teams with really experienced hole checks that fake a shit ton before shooting.
I either fall for the fake, which sucks, or I wait until I see the ball leave their hand, but then I can't move quick enough to make the shot.

I don't know what position you play, but I was hoping you could give me some general tips?
Thanks.
21 Frags +

Juke, then airshot them

Juke, then airshot them
6 Frags +

Another goalie of around a season and a half here. Try staring straight at the ball, nothing else. The minute you look at the shooter's eyes, you start following where he fakes. Try moving your arms in the water when you eggbeater up. That helped me keep from getting "stuck" when I didn't move my arms in time.

I might be giving awful advice, but it works for me.

Another goalie of around a season and a half here. Try staring straight at the ball, nothing else. The minute you look at the shooter's eyes, you start following where he fakes. Try moving your arms in the water when you eggbeater up. That helped me keep from getting "stuck" when I didn't move my arms in time.

1 Frags +
IcyWindAnother goalie of around a season and a half here. Try staring straight at the ball, nothing else. The minute you look at the shooter's eyes, you start following where he fakes. Try moving your arms in the water when you eggbeater up. That helped me keep from getting "stuck" when I didn't move my arms in time.

i used to play goalie, moved on to swimming now but for me what worked was just complete prediction or, if you/they are at a low to mid skill level, its not that hard to follow when they are faking or shooting. cheers and gl, its a great sport

[quote=IcyWind]Another goalie of around a season and a half here. Try staring straight at the ball, nothing else. The minute you look at the shooter's eyes, you start following where he fakes. Try moving your arms in the water when you eggbeater up. That helped me keep from getting "stuck" when I didn't move my arms in time.

I might be giving awful advice, but it works for me.[/quote]

i used to play goalie, moved on to swimming now but for me what worked was just complete prediction or, if you/they are at a low to mid skill level, its not that hard to follow when they are faking or shooting. cheers and gl, its a great sport
1 Frags +
Root_IcyWind

Thanks, I guess I should focus on the ball more, and I should try to just make guesses sometimes. I feel like my guesses would be off a lot, but it probably comes with experience.

[quote=Root_][/quote]
[quote=IcyWind][/quote]

Thanks, I guess I should focus on the ball more, and I should try to just make guesses sometimes. I feel like my guesses would be off a lot, but it probably comes with experience.
0 Frags +

I didn't play water polo but I did play goalie in hockey for a bit. I had a great glove side but a shitty stick side. I think having great reaction time and prediction is key, since most of the time the puck is so fast and at such small distance that you really just "feel" where it should end up. Other than far slap shots, I don't think I ever really saw the puck moving to glove but instead it was just a reaction from my brain.

One thing that I believe that helped a bit was getting real close to a wall (preferring brick or something that isn't smooth, so you can't predict as easily) and toss a tennis ball, or even better, a racket ball and try to catch it.

I didn't play water polo but I did play goalie in hockey for a bit. I had a great glove side but a shitty stick side. I think having great reaction time and prediction is key, since most of the time the puck is so fast and at such small distance that you really just "feel" where it should end up. Other than far slap shots, I don't think I ever really saw the puck moving to glove but instead it was just a reaction from my brain.

One thing that I believe that helped a bit was getting real close to a wall (preferring brick or something that isn't smooth, so you can't predict as easily) and toss a tennis ball, or even better, a racket ball and try to catch it.
2 Frags +

I played water polo in high school but not goalie, so I probably won't be much help. I found that the best goalies eggbeatered up and left their arms on the water surface to wait for the shot (especially from hole), that way you have the option to move quickly in any direction. Part of it is on your hole defender as well - they need to be aggressive obviously. Hole shots are hard to defend, especially when they catch you off guard. It all comes with practice, you will get better. Good luck!

I played water polo in high school but not goalie, so I probably won't be much help. I found that the best goalies eggbeatered up and left their arms on the water surface to wait for the shot (especially from hole), that way you have the option to move quickly in any direction. Part of it is on your hole defender as well - they need to be aggressive obviously. Hole shots are hard to defend, especially when they catch you off guard. It all comes with practice, you will get better. Good luck!
4 Frags +

How high can you get when you get ready for a shot?

My goalie was all-state defensive MVP and I'll ask him what to do

How high can you get when you get ready for a shot?

0 Frags +
stultusHow high can you get when you get ready for a shot?

My eggbeater is getting better, but I still can't keep my whole torso out yet for any length of time. I can get fairly high if I commit, but not with constant eggbeater.

[quote=stultus]How high can you get when you get ready for a shot?

My goalie was all-state defensive MVP and I'll ask him what to do[/quote]
My eggbeater is getting better, but I still can't keep my whole torso out yet for any length of time. I can get fairly high if I commit, but not with constant eggbeater.
0 Frags +
ErenJaystultusHow high can you get when you get ready for a shot?

for this, i would suggest practicing eggbeater with a diving brick in any sort of pool. every 10-15 seconds push yourself to rise up and stay there for as long as you can.

[quote=ErenJay][quote=stultus]How high can you get when you get ready for a shot?

My goalie was all-state defensive MVP and I'll ask him what to do[/quote]
My eggbeater is getting better, but I still can't keep my whole torso out yet for any length of time. I can get fairly high if I commit, but not with constant eggbeater.[/quote]

for this, i would suggest practicing eggbeater with a diving brick in any sort of pool. every 10-15 seconds push yourself to rise up and stay there for as long as you can.
Please sign in through STEAM to post a comment.